Options

money saving tips/suggestions - what are yours??

Comments

• Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god yes- tastes 1000 times better the 'meat' they put in most pre-packed sandwiches too!

it definatly does, thats something i often do as well, for instance if we have had a chicken for sunday dinner, have chicken and apple sauce sandwiches or meat and left over stuffing, absolutly delicious and very filling.

also if you have to buy cans of fizzy pop or the small bottles, dont get them from the local shop/supermarket, buy the huge multipacks from discount centres if you have them near you, works out less than half the price

I also find fruit/veg is often cheaper from the markets (especially on a friday afternoon if they dont have the market open at the weekend, its still really fresh but they dont want to store it over the weekend etc when it will be less fresh by the monday)

also keep an eye out on saving account interest rates on sites like https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings-news.aspx or http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/ so your money is not langusihing in really low interest rate accounts.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    So you're a freeloading thief?

YEP & 100 % don't mind thieving from the likes of murdoch & co (I'll loose no sleep)
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody still save for Christmas with a club. Every pub and social club used to have a Christmas club that really helped to ease the burden. Can't find any round here and it would really help us now we are on our pensions and only work part time,

I am very good at talking myself out of buying things that I want but i am always looking for ways to economise. I subscribe to 3 magazines which is cheaper but sometimes I feel I should read them at the library. I do pass them on to other people so is this a luxury. Also my hair needs cutting every 6 to 8 weeks as it is very thick and bushy but all the hairdressers around here charge about £35 for a cut and blow dry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    Does anybody still save for Christmas with a club. Every pub and social club used to have a Christmas club that really helped to ease the burden. Can't find any round here and it would really help us now we are on our pensions and only work part time,

I am very good at talking myself out of buying things that I want but i am always looking for ways to economise. I subscribe to 3 magazines which is cheaper but sometimes I feel I should read them at the library. I do pass them on to other people so is this a luxury. Also my hair needs cutting every 6 to 8 weeks as it is very thick and bushy but all the hairdressers around here charge about £35 for a cut and blow dry.

i dont subscribe to a christmas club, but have opened christmas savings acccounts before, some building societies have them, i used to have one with skipton building society, (can be opened on line) chorley building society (theirs was called the "santa saver", yorkshire building society and manchester building society have also run them, you usually can pay in between £10 and £200 a month and then they mature towards the end of november/beginning of december

As for reducing costs on hair cuts, do you have any colleges that teach hair dressing near by?. They often need people to practice on, and charge a tiny fee

The one i used only charged £5 for a full cut, blow dry and styling, i never had a problem at all, and they are supervised by qualified trainers who will sort it out if their are any issues.

Its the same with beauty treatments such as nail technicians etc.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    If buying through Amazon or another website leave things in the basket overnight (or use the wishlist). You'll often find that you never get around to going back and submitting the order :D.

If you're into computer and console games, be a year-6 months behind and you'll pick up your games a lot more cheaply.

Rather than do the lottery buy Premium Bonds. You'll still be doing a lottery of sorts, but you can at least get your original stake back at a later date (minus inflation, of course), and you get repeated chances of a win from the same stake.
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing that has saved me money is letting my o'h look after the bank account. She's not mean but she doesn't like to spend money whereas I'm terribly profligate. It works well.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anna42hmr wrote: »
    open the halifax reward current accounts (as if you pay in £1000 a month, they pay £5. (luckily i got in there before they stopped new applicants opening 3, so £15 a month extra is fed into a saving account)

You can get another fiver a month out of them if you get the right version of their credit card and spend £300 a month on it. Of course this is only worthwhile if you pay the balance in full every month.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Take packed lunches to work. That alone can save a small fortune.

Doesn't work for me as I always ending up eating the packed lunch by mid-morning and then going out again at lunch time.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Turn the fridge off and put all your food outside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Use junk mail envelopes as note pads.
    2. Dont take money to work. If you are having a bad day, its so easy to raid the vending machine.

There's two.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a Lloydstsb account they do "save the change" where every transaction you make on your debit card is rounded up, and the change is moved to another account - like an electronic coppers jar
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Turn the fridge off and put all your food outside.
    Lol - I did that last night sorta. Bought a larger than normal frozen pizza. I knew it wouldn't fit in the freezer but it did fine outside :)
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy 500ml bottles of Pepsi in a small shop and pay £1 or even more. Get to Poundland and get 2 for a quid. Same thing and nowhere near the use-by date. Ours has orange and apple Tango and 7-Up bottles at 2 for £1 too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this_is_me wrote: »
    You can get another fiver a month out of them if you get the right version of their credit card and spend £300 a month on it. Of course this is only worthwhile if you pay the balance in full every month.

i didnt know about that, will look into it thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I read this article and thought it has some interesting insights in to savings.
    'Why it's not possible to save & what you can do about it'

by Ken Eisold
    It talks about how if you saving were to go in to an account automatically you wouldn't miss the money you were putting away - but if you have to do it yourself every month people make excuses not to put them in.
    The approach it talks about is called "choice architecture," a means to encourage people to make choices that are in their own interest. They suggest employees be offered the opportunity to sign up for automatic savings when they get raises. That way, it appears to cost them nothing, as it comes out of income they never had before. Nothing lost, something gained.

One problem with this though, which most people can proabably relate to is if you don't get raise, where is the money going to come from...
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And don't buy bottled water, which is EXACTLY THE SAME as the water that comes out of your tap.

I hate the taste of tap water. Some bottled water is really nice though. Evian is my water of choice, on the rare occasion I do buy bottled water.

I appreciate that many don't share the view that you can "taste" water. But I honestly can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the taste of tap water. Some bottled water is really nice though. Evian is my water of choice, on the rare occasion I do buy bottled water.

I appreciate that many don't share the view that you can "taste" water. But I honestly can.

i do agree there, there is a difference between tap water and bottled water in taste, i am guessing it may have to do with how much floride etc the water companies add to the water before it is pumped into the house.

have you thought about getting a water filter as they are generally cheaper than bottled water in the long term
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    2. Dont take money to work. If you are having a bad day, its so easy to raid the vending machine.

that is so true, god knows how much i have spent on the vending machine on a bad day lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow just totalled up my cash back paid into my accounts this year alone, and has totalled at £328 between the accounts i have (quidco, top cash back, cashback kings) fingers crossed that 2011 will be as high!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Ignore BOGOF (or similar)

Yes, I know it's REALLY hard to ignore it, but just consider who's got who by the BOLLOCKS next time you think "Oh, should I really buy 1 of these because I get one free?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very exciting or inventive, but give up smoking it will feel like a pay riseespecially with pay freezes etc.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut your own hair :) (or get your mum or a friend to do it)

I bought a £20 clipper set a couple of years ago. Saved about £100 a year on not going to the hairdressers, based on 10 haircuts a year (every 5 weeks or so) x £10 each time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following link's from a camera review site that I use quite a lot. It's one of the best guides I've ever read on the subject of being frugal.
    The guy explains how he can afford all of the latest gear he reviews...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    when going shopping write a list down and buy items you only need then you don't overspend i found saving money doing this
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    If you really need to have one debt, make it your mortgage and don't buy anything unless it is really, really necessary for your job or survival - any extra money you have at the end of the month, use it to overpay your mortgage. If you can get rid of you mortgage in 15 years, you'll be so much better off for the rest of your life.