Options

Popjustice get it spot on about Matt

Comments

• Options
    liz83liz83 Posts: 6,398
    Forum Member
    You realise the bolded part completely contradicts the point you are trying to make? If someone becomes famous after 'dumping his band' then it would suggest that he was the talented one in the group.

Anyway, I think PJ have completely missed the point of what Matt is trying to say - Matt is commenting more on the fanbase of the relative artists than the artists themselves, and he is saying that the fans of BC will be far more critical of a cover than Miley's fans would, and he would be right.

When you say a band is 'credible', it suggests a number of things - that the band have paid their dues, formed themselves, written their own songs, play their own instruments, toured tirelessly and generally made a name for themselves off the back of mostly their own skills and ability. Being credible is about more than just the end result, it's a reflection of the process the artist went through to get to that stage. The fans of such artists are OF COURSE going to be more critical of an artist 'stealing' on of their songs.

What he says about Miley fans is right - they ARE children, they don't hold the same level of loyalty to the artist in the same way the fans of Biffy Clyro do, many of whom have followed the band for much of their adult life.

PJ are just trying to inject vitriol into what is a fairly mundane statement.

Points 1, 2, and 3 are retorts to things Matt has never said and views he's never claimed to hold.

He's not commenting on the people who voted for him to win the X-Factor, he's commenting on the fans of Biffy Clyro who are upset he is covering Many of Horror. But yes, children are less discerning than adults. Are PJ trying to say they are not?

The majority of Miley Cyrus' fans ARE children. Her songs are specifically written to appeal to children. Why wouldn't he think otherwise?

All I gleamed from this very brief snippet and from what I have seen from Matt is that he sees his X-Factor win as a stepping stone towards making the kind of music he wants to make - preferably written by himself, and if he has to do a cover (which, contractually, he does), then at least he can cover a song by an artist he (and a lot of others) see as 'Credible'.

I don't see the problem.

:eek: Brilliant post!!!!
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Great article. Matt is totally deluded if he thinks he is above other XF contestants and is more credible.

LOL thiese threads are so interesting and when I here interviews where he praised other XF contestants - however I love the fact that he is being spoke about.OhBiffy is a song that Matt loves and felt did not get enough of a play as he thought it was a wonderful song..Shame there are notmany who are of a pluralistic mindset to enable them to understand why he chose it;);)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Apparantly it is also ok to comment like this based on press articles but a different matter when Danyl is the recipient. Go figure,

ah the hyppocracy of some is really showing now ;) .. priceless:D
  • Options
    liz83liz83 Posts: 6,398
    Forum Member
    I really wish people would support their winner without feeling the need to put down others.

Who am I putting down? :confused:
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because nothing Danyl did or said on the X Factor, nothing he was seen to say in interviews, corresponded with the negative press, unlike some people I can think of.

It did to what they saw and how they chose to interpret the behavout that they saw and because press arthicles reinforced their perceptions, thought it acceptable, regardless of any credible evidence, to use them to attack Danyl's character. I thought that it was pretty pathetic and contemptable of them, and still do, even though I never warmed to Danyl .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say a band is 'credible', it suggests a number of things - that the band have paid their dues, formed themselves, written their own songs, play their own instruments, toured tirelessly and generally made a name for themselves off the back of mostly their own skills and ability. Being credible is about more than just the end result, it's a reflection of the process the artist went through to get to that stage.

Seriously? Matt got to this stage by winning a karaoke contest. That's why he has a record deal. The journey was X-Factor, the end result was a record deal....just like the past 6 winners.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Amazing post, VoiceOfTreason.
    You've explained my opinions better than I could. :o;)

Matt seems to be making a habit of thinking he is better than everyone else though - and this is coming from someone who wanted Matt to win.

I suppose when you're passionate about something, it can sometimes come across in the wrong way. But I don't think he thinks he's better than others. I've seen him give praise to lots of people, when he does criticize someone it's more about the situation or the unfortunate circumstance surrounding them rather than the actual person themself. ;)
    liz83 wrote: »
    Me too :) And please dont it let it get to you. Its like I posted somewhere else, the more desperate & compulsive & immoderate the attacks the more it encourages me at least to believe that Matt has a definite enough image to stand out from blander winners. Some will hate it yes, but thats what definite comes with. :And more than enough really really love it. :D

Agreed.
    It's good that any Matt thread seems to become such a hot topic on the forum, but I must stop posting though as the same point could be argued back and forth forever and yet no-one changes their mind. ;)
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    More or less, yeah. I have had a few mentions of it over the years, so have been reading it for ages. Some good stuff on there. :)

Have just been reading some stuff on there - most of seems to have a much more satirical yet cutting tone to it. The Cardle comments just seems sour for the sake of being sour..

I have to say, there is some pretty funny lines in there - this one about Shane Ward winning in 2005 tickled me:

"* Saying "Well at least he won instead of Andy 'Ooh I'm so normal and that's why I've got The X Factor' Binman" is a bit like saying "At least I was almost home by the time I shat my pants".
    :D

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=293&Itemid=9
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    Seriously? Matt got to this stage by winning a karaoke contest. That's why he has a record deal. The journey was X-Factor, the end result was a record deal....just like the past 6 winners.

I was talking about Biffy Clyro, not Matt, with my description of credible.

After his win, Matt said he "wants to be" a credible artist, which suggests to me he doesn't view himself as one yet any more than you do.

As I went on to say, he clearly hopes the X Factor is a stepping stone towards a more credible musical future. It has given him a platform, and his future depends on what he can do with it.
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You realise the bolded part completely contradicts the point you are trying to make? If someone becomes famous after 'dumping his band' then it would suggest that he was the talented one in the group.

Anyway, I think PJ have completely missed the point of what Matt is trying to say - Matt is commenting more on the fanbase of the relative artists than the artists themselves, and he is saying that the fans of BC will be far more critical of a cover than Miley's fans would, and he would be right.

When you say a band is 'credible', it suggests a number of things - that the band have paid their dues, formed themselves, written their own songs, play their own instruments, toured tirelessly and generally made a name for themselves off the back of mostly their own skills and ability. Being credible is about more than just the end result, it's a reflection of the process the artist went through to get to that stage. The fans of such artists are OF COURSE going to be more critical of an artist 'stealing' on of their songs.

What he says about Miley fans is right - they ARE children, they don't hold the same level of loyalty to the artist in the same way the fans of Biffy Clyro do, many of whom have followed the band for much of their adult life.

Points 1, 2, and 3 are retorts to things Matt has never said and views he's never claimed to hold.

He's not commenting on the people who voted for him to win the X-Factor, he's commenting on the fans of Biffy Clyro who are upset he is covering Many of Horror. But yes, children are less discerning than adults. Are PJ trying to say they are not?

The majority of Miley Cyrus' fans ARE children. Her songs are specifically written to appeal to children. Why wouldn't he think otherwise?

All I gleamed from this very brief snippet and from what I have seen from Matt is that he sees his X-Factor win as a stepping stone towards making the kind of music he wants to make - preferably written by himself, and if he has to do a cover (which, contractually, he does), then at least he can cover a song by an artist he (and a lot of others) see as 'Credible'.

I don't see the problem.

I understand where your coming from however ones mindset to do so has to pluralistic. I think what he has done his heroic and with regards to ~Biffy well if he had not covered the song it would not been in the topten as it is - it was prior to his covering it in the 20s. Matt loves this song and considers if so well written - he could have just thrown it on the pile with the others he was offered and chosen a nondescript song for his winner song. Well done Matt your helping the others in your industry as you said you wanted to;).Trojan Horse;):):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After his win, Matt said he "wants to be" a credible artist, which suggests to me he doesn't view himself as one yet any more than you do.

As I went on to say, he clearly hopes the X Factor is a stepping stone towards a more credible musical future. It has given him a platform, and his future depends on what he can do with it.

You're contradicting yourself, because you said before the path to credibility was the journey, not the end result. Matt's journey was the X-Factor. So by your definition, he will never become credible.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alc20 wrote: »
    Shows what a stupid report/website it is if they can't even post an article with proper grammar.

Quote:
    Absolutely true, that's what it is. I'm very wary of doing covers, I just hope their not hating it."

While they're actually quoting Matt, pretty sure he spoke his thoughts to them not wrote them.

Easiest thing to pick on when your retort is quite slim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member

I don't see the problem.

Fantastic post!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're contradicting yourself, because you said before the path to credibility was the journey, not the end result. Matt's journey was the X-Factor. So by your definition, he will never become credible.

You're really clutching at some straws there! :D
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But surely that is what all the winners want to do - it is not exculsive to Matt :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't contradicted myself because at no stage have I ever said that Matt is a credible artist.

Depending on the length of his career, he could certainly become one, if he makes the right moves within his record contract, but I'd say you won't see any material written by him, or hear an instrument played by him, until his second album.

The X-Factor could just be the 'start' of his journey as an artist. Of course it isn't, as he has spent years struggling with his own bands in the years before appearing on the show. The X-Factor was literally his last chance at a career in music and he took it - but he'd certainly put in a lot of hard work before that.
    But surely that is what all the winners want to do - it is not exculsive to Matt

According the the PJ article, it is.

The main difference is that Matt has a proven track record as a musical artist, an instrumentalist, and a song-writer. He's got a far greater potential to make it as a 'credible' artist than any previous X-Factor winner.

(Notice I said 'potential')
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samkay12 wrote: »
    Bla Bla blaaaaaaaa

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5169&Itemid=9

http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5167&Itemid=9

It's a known fact that the writer is a Rebecca fan. Wow!! I did not know her fans where like this. The worst set of fans.
    Matt got the most votes so GET OVER IT.
    same with Perez Hilton. Same with the Daily mail noobs.

Funniest thing is how they claim Matt has no charisma and personality; REBECCA FANS SAYING THAT????

It wasn't a unanimous win so I expect many people to NOT like Matt Cardle. In fact it was even closer this year than last year meaning even more people won't like him

But these Rebecca fans are clearly taking the piss..
    To the extent of putting his every single quote under a microscopic lens. Every blink he makes. Every facial expression. Wow!!

They were even criticizing his hand-written name on his Xfactor winners album. How sad

Matt should better release a great album because I am very sure those Rebecca fans are already writing bad reviews in preparation for it's release even before it comes out

Thanks that gave me the opportunity to revisit Rebecca, As for the rest meh...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're really clutching at some straws there! :D

I'm using the logic of the post that all of you are hailing as the greatest piece of literature since the Iliad.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good article : they make some interesting points.Matt is on slightly dodgy ground if he thinks he is a serious and "cool" indie musician who is in a position to be be sneering at what he considers throwaway pop music.He has just won a karaoke competition and hasn't achieved anything yet in the music business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't contradicted myself because at no stage have I ever said that Matt is a credible artist.

Depending on the length of his career, he could certainly become one, if he makes the right moves within his record contract, but I'd say you won't see any material written by him, or hear an instrument played by him, until his second album.

The X-Factor could just be the 'start' of his journey as an artist. Of course it isn't, as he has spent years struggling with his own bands in the years before appearing on the show. The X-Factor was literally his last chance at a career in music and he took it - but he'd certainly put in a lot of hard work before that.

According the the PJ article, it is.

The main difference is that Matt has a proven track record as a musical artist, an instrumentalist, and a song-writer. He's got a far greater potential to make it as a 'credible' artist than any previous X-Factor winner.

(Notice I said 'potential')

The contradiction is that while you haven't said Matt IS a credible artist, you said he hopes to become one in the future. The problem is that by your logic (the "journey"), he will never become credible because his journey was through the XF.

For your second statement, bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? He doesn't have a proven track record, he's dabbled in it. And as far as instrumentalist, his guitar playing skills are average at best...probably on par more with Justin Bieber than Carlos Santana.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Good article : they make some interesting points.Matt is on slightly dodgy ground if he thinks he is a serious and "cool" indie musician who is in a position to be be sneering at what he considers throwaway pop music.He has just won a karaoke competition and hasn't achieved anything yet in the music business.

He has acheived a number one record. You can argue how much of an acheivement it is, considering the Xfactor maching but it is still an acheivement. There is a long way to go and further he has to climb. I haven't a crystal ball but I hope that he is a great sucess and I think that he will be.
  • Options
    misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alc20 wrote: »
    Shows what a stupid report/website it is if they can't even post an article with proper grammar.

Quote:
    Absolutely true, that's what it is. I'm very wary of doing covers, I just hope their not hating it."

While they're actually quoting Matt, pretty sure he spoke his thoughts to them not wrote them.

Typical snotty attitude from a fan of a certain snotty Matt Cardle.

You've dismissed the whole article because of a mistake in their grammar. They made some spot on points about him, but of course, it's okay to ignore them because they aren't a complete snob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm using the logic of the post that all of you are hailing as the greatest piece of literature since the Iliad.

Not that i can see - any logic you are using seems to be stretched so much that it no longer resembles logic!
  • Options
    mamamiamamamia Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Matt was working with bands WAY before XFactor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    This thread is possible more popular than my one about Matt's mum and dad's couch!