How to stop a 6 & half month old cat bullying his sister

micky1micky1 Posts: 2,953
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I need help. My 6&half month old kitten keeps attacking his sister. We think she must have been the runt of the litter as she is half his size and its got to the point when ever she does anything he attacks her. I feel so sorry for her . Shes so little compaired to her brother and she loves him to bits and pines if we separate them for too long

Comments

• dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they both neutered?
  • micky1micky1 Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The male one is and we are having his sister spayed on monday
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not very helpful but he'll probably grow out of it, in august i took in a 4 month old male kitten and he constantly attacked my 2 female cats (aged 3 and 9) he terrorised them, the vet advised me to get some calming drops from a pet shop ( i purchased Serene-um Drops from pets at home) which i do think helped, i definitely got more sleep... but i was a bit worried about him having it ...i had him neutered at 5 months and now he's 9 months old and he's competely changed, it did take a couple of months though, now i worry that hes too quiet :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you get one of those feliway plug in things? Can help reduce fighting/stress between cats
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Can you get one of those feliway plug in things? Can help reduce fighting/stress between cats

I found Feliway spray also very good, should give it try OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »

My cat is scared of his own shadow even although he is huge, he jumps at every little noise. Would they help him do you think?
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would welcome suggestions here. My daughter has two lovely gentle rescue females - playful and loving.

Her problem is that six months ago she took in a young Korat pedigree male from a previous owner who couldn't cope with him. They are similar to Siamese but silver grey with green eyes. He is beautiful. But also an utter monster. He attacks the females shamefully - they spend much of their time hiding on neighbours walls as he defends his territory.

Recently - he has started to act aggressively towards my daughter and her partner - jumping on their back and biting their necks.

As a dog and cat owner of many years - I think he is demonstrating classic male dominance (he is neutered). They have tried all the usual stuff - separating them, and also used feliway. Nothing works.

My last advice is to try scruffing - and I know how controversial this is....but I can't think of anything else. Basically - it is where the humans enact the behaviour of a mother - by holding the cat down gently by the scruff of its neck and saying no.

I've owned cats for 40 years and never seen such aggressive behaviour. There is no way they would ever abandoned a cat - but it is a serious problem in the household. Any thoughts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    My cat is scared of his own shadow even although he is huge, he jumps at every little noise. Would they help him do you think?

Im not sure, maybe have a look here and see if it has more detail

http://www.feliway.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    Thanks x
    Forum Member
    Just had a read think I will try it, thanks Dollymarie. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Just had a read think I will try it, thanks Dollymarie. :)

Come back and let us know how you got on. :)
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    definitely try the feliway first, i only opted for the calming drops because i was already using a feliway ...good luck xxx
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the cats have their own personal space to get away from each other?

Cats are not social animals by nature and it's only because we provide them with easy access to food and warmth that many get on quite well.