Options

Cats in USA

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
This may have been asked before,
I watch Jackson Galaxy, who fixes problem cats in USA on Sky,
Why do most keep their cats indoors, it seems so cruel.

Comments

• Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because there is a higher chance of someone shooting their cat there then here.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »

Some states ban cats from going outside.

They also ban you from feeding cats outside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Probably because there is a higher chance of someone shooting their cat there then here.
    In that case they'll soon keep their kids indoors all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some states ban cats from going outside.

They also ban you from feeding cats outside.

Why?...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why?...

Feral cats are attracted to the food. They want them to starve.

Outdoor cats cause damage and death to wildlife.

Outdoor cats get injured by cars, people and wildlife.

Outdoors cats may get diseases or spread diseases.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not cruel to keep a cat inside...i keep mine inside.

but in some states of america you legally cannot let your cat out and with rabies and the wild animals they have in some parts its safer to keep them in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »

but in some states of america you legally cannot let your cat out and with rabies and the wild animals they have in some parts its safer to keep them in.

Very true, there are some signs in the USA warning people not to let their dogs out due to foxes and coyotes carrying them off for supper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Feral cats are attracted to the food. They want them to starve.

Outdoor cats cause damage and death to wildlife.

Outdoor cats get injured by cars, people and wildlife.

Outdoors cats may get diseases or spread diseases.

Why doesn't that apply in this country?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »

But why is it not cruel, cats are out door animals?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name an animal that is not an out door animal ! We keep all sorts of pets in doors, cats are no more out door creatures than any other.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeping a cat indoors is not an innately cruel thing to do.

Many cats do well indoors and the responsible owner enriches their indoors environment to compensate for a lack of out door access - scratching posts, different levels for them to climb, company (another cat, human or even dog) and play time for example. Often the cat has always been raised to live indoor and has adapted.

Some cats do not do well indoors. The owner of such a cat can take steps to try to help the cat to adjust but if these fail, they need to put the cats needs first and seriously consider external access - even if it is restricted.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tell that to my friend who is inconsolable at the minute because her cat has been missing for almost a week.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my cats are kept indoors, it was my decision when i got my own place, growing up i had cats who went outside, one got run over, one got poisoned and two disappeared,
    i moved onto a busy road and the first night there my neighbours cat was killed on the road outside..even though ive moved since then i will not put my cats at risk, a few months ago my cousins cat survived (after a major operation) being deliberatly run over on the pavement outside their home, the car was stolen and no one was caught and right now my aunts cat has been missing for 5 days , so yes i keep mine inside.
    It may seem cruel to some people but my cats never attempt to go outside, they dont miss out on anything because it is all they know...they have toys to hunt, things to climb and everything they could possibly need.
    last july i lost my oldest cat to cancer at the age of 19, there is no doubt in my mind that she wouldnt have reached that age had she gone outside...
    i know this thread wasnt started as a for or against indoor cats but i just wanted to get my point across..
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol what a strange argument! Of course it's not cruel to keep cats indoors. We had a cat growing up that went out every night. My current cat never went out before I got her and will only come outside with me and as soon as go back in she runs back in again.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends where you live. I live in a semi rural area and all my cats, except for one, over the years have been outdoor cats.

None of them were ever hurt or disappeared for more than one night and they all lived to be of a good old age. The youngest age one died was 12 and the oldest was 19, others were 14, 17, & 18.

I now have two cats - one who goes out who is 13 and another is a house cat...although next summer I will introduce her to the delights of our back garden.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Humans used to live in forests and caves but we do very well in nicely heated flats and houses .
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its cruel to keep a cat inside some cats don't even want to go outside. I was going to have my cat has an indoor but he really wanted to go outside & eventually I gave in.
    He goes out during the day but I keep him in at night as he's still a kitten and I really worry about him.
    He went missing last boxing day for 2 days!! I was so worried about him, & then he just came back, I was crying with joy!!
    My family think I'm mad to worry about him so much. I never released how attached I got to him till he went missing :o
    I spoil him rotten though hes like my baby.
    I totally understand why people keep their cat(s) indoors though.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only problem is that some people in the US have their cats declawed which is wrong and cruel on so many levels thankfully this practice is banned in the UK
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    the only problem is that some people in the US have their cats declawed which is wrong and cruel on so many levels thankfully this practice is banned in the UK

I will never understand that practice, it is painful to the very pets you are supposed to love.

If you have kids you dont go out and buy a white carpet and have their feet chopped off, so why get a cat if you are worried so much about what they may scratch.

My two are indoor , they are as happy as larry , they have their toys and scratching posts and occasionally need a tip of the claw trim ( the vet showed me how ) if they get a bit too long which isn't often , but you put up with the odd scratchhere and there and if you can't you shouldn't have them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Tell that to my friend who is inconsolable at the minute because her cat has been missing for almost a week.

That is so sad and I feel for your friend,
    when mine is out for a while I worry...but thats life I feel I have to face up to these things.

but to keep him in all his life no.
    Through the summer months when the population is enjoying the sunshine ..and the cat is indoors?
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sorry for your friend, but she mustn't give up hope yet.

Once, my boyfriend and I were followed home from a party by a cat who insisted on following us. We couldn't let him into the house itself as we had two dogs, and also my mum was scared of cats. So we let him spend the night in the garage.

The next day my brother remembered a woman had been round with a flier about her missing cat. We got in touch with her, she came round, and lo and behold, it was her cat, who'd been missing for four weeks! She burst into tears of relief, and it was a very emotional moment.

There's still plenty of time for your friend's cat to turn up, though of course I understand her concern.
  • Options
    UncleLouUncleLou Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but to keep him in all his life no.
    Through the summer months when the population is enjoying the sunshine ..and the cat is indoors?

A friend of mine has built a sunlounge on the back of her house for her cats, with lots of shelves and cushions. There are two cat flaps (one high and one low) out to a fully fenced and roofed, compound, with lots of large branches, scratching posts and cat tray areas for the cats.

Most cat owners don't want to keep their cats in as they don't want to clear their cat's mess up.They would rather risk them outside with all the dangers, than spend a few minutes a day cleaning out a cat tray.:mad: Cleaning up what comes out of it's rear end is part of pet owning. Don't get an animal if you aren't prepared to look after it!

We took in a young wild cat and it wasn't long before he chose not to go outside again. We had him 20 years, but were not sure how old he really was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I feel really sorry for your friend, but she mustn't give up hope yet.

Once, my boyfriend and I were followed home from a party by a cat who insisted on following us. We couldn't let him into the house itself as we had two dogs, and also my mum was scared of cats. So we let him spend the night in the garage.

The next day my brother remembered a woman had been round with a flier about her missing cat. We got in touch with her, she came round, and lo and behold, it was her cat, who'd been missing for four weeks! She burst into tears of relief, and it was a very emotional moment.

There's still plenty of time for your friend's cat to turn up, though of course I understand her concern.

My cat went for 6 months, is now asleep on my feet
    UncleLou wrote: »
    A friend of mine has built a sunlounge on the back of her house for her cats, with lots of shelves and cushions. There are two cat flaps (one high and one low) out to a fully fenced and roofed, compound, with lots of large branches, scratching posts and cat tray areas for the cats.

Most cat owners don't want to keep their cats in as they don't want to clear their cat's mess up.They would rather risk them outside with all the dangers, than spend a few minutes a day cleaning out a cat tray.:mad: Cleaning up what comes out of it's rear end is part of pet ownong. Don't get an animal if you aren't prepared to look after it!

We took in a young wild cat and it wasn't long before he chose not to go outside again. We had him 20 years, but were not sure how old he really was.

Bib I think that's unfair, there are plenty of indoor cat owners that are lazy and don't pay enough attention to their cats. I choose to have outdoor cats as I believe it is better for them, I still have a litter tray for them, and still play with them, and put time in to caring for them.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending where you live, they get eaten too. Mountain lions and coyotes are very common where I live and small pets are often eaten by them during the colder months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i used to let them out years ago until my 6 month old cat was shot and killed with an air rifle , then 4 months later my other cat was ran over by an idiot and she died a long painfull death as the person never stopped .

all 3 of my cats are indoor cats , they are happy , never want or look to go out and love laying in the window ledge or on the sofa in the sun , they are happy and loved and fussed and all of healthy weight :) they have sratching posts and toys and are spoilt lots by us all .

Keeping cats in now and then you need to trim the tips of their claws but thats about all extra you need to do , well apart from litter trays but even then if you have any pet you need to clean up their poop :D