Catfish

Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
Forum Member
Anyone ever watch this show on MTV ?

Basically the programme is made by a guy who fell in love on the internet, but when he finally persuaded his girl to meet him she was nothing like the beautiful girl whose picture was on her profile. He now helps other people meet their internet boyfriend/girlfriend and they usually turn out to be nothing like their profile pics. Some of them aren't even the correct gender !!

Anyway ...... cutting to the chase .... my 21 year old daughter said " wouldn't it be funny if someone was pretending to be me ? " After doing something I didn't understand with her photo, well it turns out someone is pretending to be her on Twitter. There she is with a beautiful photo of my daughter as her avatar and she even has the same first name as her. Her 500 followers are blissfully unaware that she doesn't look anything like her photo, hopefully one of them hasn't fallen in love with her.

Twitter are being a bit arsey about it and a link to my daughter's Facebook page apparently isn't enough to convince them that this girl is using someone else's pictures. She has even posted a picture of my daughter with her friends and made up new names for them all.

What do people think ? Is this harmless fun or dangerous and what should be done about it ? I must admit that I had never heard of stealing someone's identity on the internet before I watched this programme. My daughter feels rather spooked by it all. To see someone pretending to be you must be quite unnerving.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contact Twitter again and the police. I would also (if your comfortable with it) email or contact the copy cat and let them know you are aware and will be contacting the police. Probably not a good idea to make any threats etc though.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she pretending to be her or just nicking her pics? The police won't do anything if it's just copyright infringement, but social networks have a standard form to report it. If she's posting pictures on Twitter other than a profile pic they'll be hosted on another site like twitpic or Instagram so you'll have to report them to that site instead.