Son of A Witch

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
Forum Member
✭✭
The follow on to Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I've only started reading it today but already I am finding it great.

Anyone else read it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read it! I love Gregory Maguire. His style is very eloquent and precise, and completely unique to him. I've also read Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and I adored them both. He has a real talent for taking a well known tale and turning it on its head. I've never looked at the Wizard of Oz or Cinderella the same way since I've read his books. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    So do you guys recommend reading wicked, as i keep picking it up, but never buying it....i'm desperate to see the show as well!

Anyone seen that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read the book and seen the show several times. The book is very different to the show - it's much darker. It focuses on the politics and role of religion in Oz as well as the life of Elphaba/The Wicked Witch of the West. I cried several times throughout the course of the novel, and at the end was sobbing loads.

The show is a bit lighter, and it focuses more on the relationship between Glinda the Good and The Wicked Witch of the West. It has a very different ending to te book, but that ending works for the show. It has great performers,sets, lighting and music. It's a great show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Mnemosyne wrote: »
    I've read the book and seen the show several times. The book is very different to the show - it's much darker. It focuses on the politics and role of religion in Oz as well as the life of Elphaba/The Wicked Witch of the West. I cried several times throughout the course of the novel, and at the end was sobbing loads.

The show is a bit lighter, and it focuses more on the relationship between Glinda the Good and The Wicked Witch of the West. It has a very different ending to te book, but that ending works for the show. It has great performers,sets, lighting and music. It's a great show.

Thanks Mnemosyne! I've got the novel now...going to book tickets to see the show soon!

Can't wait!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read Wicked approx 12 months before we saw the show. We saw it on Broadway last November but are now planning to see it in the Uk too. I adore the soundtrack having bought that long before we saw the show.

Although I didn't cry at the book I was sobbing at the end of the show (as I didn't know the show ending was different to the book). And the song For Good also gives me a lump in my throat.

I find Maguires writing so descriptive that it greats such great images in your mind as you are reading.