Do artists release new albums too regularly nowadays?

swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
Forum Member
I was just thinking this as acts like Michael Jackson & Madonna used to release new studio albums every like 3 - 5 years back in the 80s & 90s but nowadays people like Rihanna release new studio albums yearly or every couple of years.

Do you prefer long gaps or close together releases? I personally like longer gaps as you get to miss the artist and its more exciting when they make a new record.

Longer gaps also enable the artist to have more artistic growth.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not bothered really, as there as the music is good and there is growth

Although people moan about Rihanna doing it (and people have been doing it for decades), she shows loads of growth in her music and she continues to be more and more successful
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince used to release an album every year in the 80's, quality & artistic growth, which was all produced, arranged, composed & performed by Prince.

Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, ATWIAD, Parade, Sign O The Times, Lovesexy and not forgetting The Black Album.

Perhaps the likes of Madonna & MJ, could not compete on that level.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not bothered really, as there as the music is good and there is growth

Although people moan about Rihanna doing it (and people have been doing it for decades), she shows loads of growth in her music and she continues to be more and more successful

Rihannas music is not becoming more and more successful though.
    She's more of a factory than an artist, churning them out one after the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    Rihannas music is not becoming more and more successful though.
    She's more of a factory than an artist, churning them out one after the other.

How is she not becoming more and more successful?

Diamonds and Stay have been huge hits all around the world and her Tour has been a huge success. She is the youngest artist ever to have sold out stadiums at the age of 25. If that isn't continued success, then what is.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    i like when artist release albums every 2/3 years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she not becoming more and more successful?

Diamonds and Stay have been huge hits all around the world and her Tour has been a huge success. She is the youngest artist ever to have sold out stadiums at the age of 25. If that isn't continued success, then what is.

Well Album sales seem to have kept going down since Good Girl Gone Bad, with the exception of Loud and that is still down by a million sales in the US & over a million sales down on worldwide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album sales mean nothing these days sadly and the recent album has sold a fair 3 million which is rather good. Her albums are selling a lot more than other female artists.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Album sales mean nothing these days sadly and the recent album has sold a fair 3 million which is rather good. Her albums are selling a lot more than other female artists.

That's what I meant, her music isn't selling as well.
    And I believe that's a decline in quality.
    Each album has got poorer and poorer since good girl gone bad.

And she doesn't even write her own music, so its not like she's tired out from creativity .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's down to opinion whether it has gone down in quality. I think she has done much better stuff since Good girl era.

No Rihanna doesn't write her music, but she isn't the only one. But that doesn't mean she isn't tired. Rihanna knows what producers and songwriters to work with. She knows the theme, the type of songs she wants as well as having a say in the videos and tour she does. I believe she is more hands on than what people think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's down to opinion whether it has gone down in quality. I think she has done much better stuff since Good girl era.

No Rihanna doesn't write her music, but she isn't the only one. But that doesn't mean she isn't tired. Rihanna knows what producers and songwriters to work with. She knows the theme, the type of songs she wants as well as having a say in the videos and tour she does. I believe she is more hands on than what people think.

They have a writing camp with a bunch of producers and songwriters for her every year. It isn't so much as her knowing what producers and songwriters to work with. It's more of them all working together to present her something to see if she likes it.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but these days it's literally just Rihanna. I can't think of a single other artist that releases an album every year in the west.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna is a puppet and will burn out. She has had shed load of hit songs, but only a trickle will remain in the public consciousness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna's music is just meant to be consumed and then forgotten.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I'd rather artists release albums yearly that way my interest doesn't go to another artist similar to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I like Rihanna's yearly releases, it means I always know at least one of my Christmas presents. :p
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    going back to a time when artists sold much more records you will find the beatles releasing two albums a year, and from about the mid to late 60s to the mid 70s it wasn't uncommon for people like stevie wonder and james brown to be releasing multiple discs of great music a year. there was more artistic growth as artists could experiment and try more things, there was more artistic freedom

the longer times between releases were initiated by record labels who wanted more time to market albums as a product so didn't want their biggest artists releasing more often than every two years. prince was one of the artists famous for disputing this as he would create so much music so quickly that the record company had a problem in releasing it

newer artists are encouraged usually to release an album each year at the beginning to keep the momentum of sales and fans going, especially pop artists, which is why it seems like some acts have an album out almost every few months. unfortunately those type of acts don't have half the talent of stevie wonder and james brown so the releases suffer
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The only artist I can think of who does this is Rihanna. Her output quality has diminished as a result. Her best album IMO is 'Rated R' which funnily enough is the one album where she spent the most time on. Each album since sounds worse than the last.

Her stadium tour was crap too. She really needs a break :sleep:
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I'd rather artists release albums yearly that way my interest doesn't go to another artist similar to them.

I wonder how on earth Black Sabbath fans managed to cope.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Yeah but these days it's literally just Rihanna. I can't think of a single other artist that releases an album every year in the west.

The Saturdays did at first (Chasing Lights came out in 2008 and Wordshaker came out in 2009) but excluding Headlines they seem to be releasing new albums every two years now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Nowadays, I think a new album every 2 years is the right amount (depending on how long the campaign lasts). 3+ year gaps are very risky for top 40 acts nowadays - particularly newer ones.

Def Jam's approach with Rihanna is more akin to the Japanese formula of frequent EPs to package new singles, than it is with her peers. They know that with her, she's only as good as her last hit single so as long as they consistently deliver those each year (regardless of how many flops come inbetween) they're safe - and by creating and delivering new music within months, they ensure the highest possibility of hit by riding current trends and using the hottest producers/writers. There's far less risk there than predicting a year or so in advance or creating something timeless that will smash regardless.The album isn't of high importance to them - they're effectively B sides to singles.

There's next to no integrity or artistic merit to that approach, but it's certainly on the ball in terms of marketing.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I'm fine with it. Maybe not for pure pop stars, but most hip hop artists and also dance/electronica artists release much more music per year than Rihanna does. Maybe it's not in "album" form though. But I enjoy it that a lot of artists I like have a new song out every 2 weeks.

For people that mainly listen to female pop stars or rock music, 12 new songs a year seems like a lot. In the world of hip hop or even dance, 12 songs a year isn't much. There's artists in these genres that might go a year without releasing anything, but there's also loads releasing an album, and also a dozen other songs (remixes, collaborations, mixtapes, etc.), which makes Rihanna's music output seem quite normal to me.

Unlike Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, rock groups, etc, Rihanna crosses over to urban and dance audiences a little bit, and with those people a higher output of music is expected.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I don't mind how quick or slow they release albums as long as they are of good quality. Most good albums I like are usually made with a 2 year gap.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

JLS every year, Olly Murs every year, One Direction every year and Little Mix every year I know it's not the same as Ri's output for length but it looks like the plan (except JLS now disbanding!). Of course these are X Factor acts so have to get the album out end of the year for X Factor promo

Oh and just thought hasn't Bruno Mars had an album a year too?
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a U2 fan and 3 years seems to be the minimum time between albums. It's 4 years since the last one. They have too many distractions I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I'm a U2 fan and 3 years seems to be the minimum time between albums. It's 4 years since the last one. They have too many distractions I think.

Yes Bono trying to right the World :)