Options

Radio Presenters How Much Do They Really Get Paid

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Adam
    Hope this helps . Daughter worked as a news presenter on one of the stations you mentioned , did overnight 10 hour shifts . She did it after leaving University and before starting a Masters in Broadcast Journalism.
    The job was unpaid , but the experience was invaluable as you had to script your own news bulletins and the experienced staff she worked with were brilliant. She went onto to do the masters at City , got a first and has now left the industry . I think you need to expect to work for nothing when you first start , necessary for your CV and I as said experience in invaluable .
    Its a very competitive industry and difficult to break in to , a lot of it depends on luck and who you know.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I did some shows for Classic Gold once, freelance rate was £80 a show, which made it £400 a week.

Then it was decided that the local presenter could pre-record all his/her links for the week in one sitting - so it went from being £400 a week to £80 a week!
  • Options
    Clive_WestClive_West Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Try telling that to Jackie Charlton, Jackie Milburn, Jackie Pallo, Jackie Aprillo ( Sopranos ) :D

:D:D Thanks Darren

Also Jackie Onassis, who we named the station after.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    The BBC is nothing more than a parasite on the back of the British people, the day I am not forced to buy a TV license will be the same day that what they pay out is non of my business.

:mad::mad:

Spot on. I can't understand people who say the BBC's expenditure is none of our business, any more than the people who say that we shouldn't criticise them for favouring the political left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Spot on. I can't understand people who say the BBC's expenditure is none of our business, any more than the people who say that we shouldn't criticise them for favouring the political left.

It's more the fact that it reduces the debate to "ooh, that's a big number isn't it?" - when (compared to others in the sector) it's not actually that big at all.

It's meaningless if you haven't got the amounts for everyone.

They're probably nowhere near as "parasitic" as you have been led to believe.
  • Options
    nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    It's more the fact that it reduces the debate to "ooh, that's a big number isn't it?" - when (compared to others in the sector) it's not actually that big at all.

It's meaningless if you haven't got the amounts for everyone.

They're probably nowhere near as "parasitic" as you have been led to believe.

To be fair, it's mainly the Daily Mail using it as another excuse to berate the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nobjockey wrote: »
    To be fair, it's mainly the Daily Mail using it as another excuse to berate the BBC.

Indeed it is. Trouble is, the poster i was replying too has clearly been suckered in.