Manuka honey in Aldi

gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For anyone that's interested. I noticed yesterday that Aldi were selling manuka honey for £3.99.

Bargain!

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What's so special about it?

Another thread was posted about the differences between blossom and acacia honey. Is this another type?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that's so cheap. The regular price in Holland and Barratts is at least double.

(It's supposed to have extra medicinal benefits)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    its good for the tummy, has natural stuff in it that soothes it.
    Forum Member
    Got some of this earlier. Tastes like....erm.....honey :o

Is it supposed to have a distingtive taste?
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Got some of this earlier. Tastes like....erm.....honey :o

Is it supposed to have a distingtive taste?

I think it tastes quite medicinal? Certainly doesn't taste like ordinary honey :) (well, not to me)
    Forum Member
    Had some on toast for brekkie and it tasted like standard honey. Maybe I don't eat enough honey so don't know the difference.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Manuka honey what a big scam.

If your buying it for the antibacterial properties .. why not just get some anti-biotics from the Drs and some cheap standard honey. Cheaper than paying upto £10 - £25.
    Forum Member
    If it cost that much I wouldn't have bought it.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In several countries manuka honey is used for making burn compresses and to treat bed sores.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the UMF factor? It is required to be 10+ or above to have any medical effect, and that is why manuka honey is so much more expensive than your average honey. My mum buys it for that reason, for herself and the dogs.
    Personally, I don't like the taste of it - don't know whether that's the manuka - but I do find the manuka cinnammon honey to be quite delicious.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    What is the UMF factor? It is required to be 10+ or above to have any medical effect, and that is why manuka honey is so much more expensive than your average honey. My mum buys it for that reason, for herself and the dogs.
    Personally, I don't like the taste of it - don't know whether that's the manuka - but I do find the manuka cinnammon honey to be quite delicious.

The UMF is the degree of strength. The higher the strength, the more expensive the honey becomes :)

Manuka honey is a very potent antibiotic. It's even been used to successfully treat MRSA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I've just finished a Nursing Placement on the community, going out with District Nurses and I saw Manuka honey being used to treat some nasty leg ulcers. It comes as part of dressings and as creams put directly over the wound (not straight from the jar!)
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In several countries manuka honey is used for making burn compresses and to treat bed sores.
    I've just finished a Nursing Placement on the community, going out with District Nurses and I saw Manuka honey being used to treat some nasty leg ulcers. It comes as part of dressings and as creams put directly over the wound (not straight from the jar!)

Glad to know someone here confirms my post, cause I'm sure plenty here think I'm a bit flakey:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I like manuka honey and use it just like anyone would normal honey. I don't really buy it for the health benefits because, in my opinion, there is a lack of research and it is not a medically approved product.

The only proven studies that I have found are that it has anti-bacterial qualities which can be used to disinfect wounds and that it improve oral health and fight gum disease (source: http://www.manukahoneybenefit.com)

There are some ongoing studies and I have read on other forums where people have had good results with it for acne, sore throats and colds but obviously those are unproven at the moment.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honey has been used on wounds since ancient times - is there any actual evidence that Manuka honey is any better than others?
    Even if it is more antibiotic, is that actually a good reason to eat it?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Local honey is meant to be good for athsma sufferers. I'm afraid that's all i have to add on this one.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taste wise I found it pretty much tastes like normal locally produced honey and I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that eating it has any medical benefits.