LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren is obviously a Scottish person.

Clare Foges is also new to LBC. She comes with an impressive background, but will she feel out of place on LBC ? ;-)

Clare Foges is a Tory activist and one of David Cameron's speech writers so she will be right at home at LBC.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    That A-Z thing Nick Abbot foists on us at New Year has to be one of the dullest things Ive ever had the misfortune to hear. Smug and dull.

I actually put Abbot and Clive Bull (aka Cliché Dull) in a similar bracket as Steve Allen. Ok they're not nasty bullies like he is but they are coasting along at LBC presumably because they have past reputation for being radio gold. I wouldn't know, they've been total pants as long as I've been listening to the station. The very worst middle-class, self indulgent, MOR, smug and lazy radio, with Abbott being the main culprit. At least Clive recognises his own dullness and lightens our load by bringing in slightly less dull guests.

A very sad state of affairs.
    What do you think of Tommy Boyd and Iain Lee?
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    What do you think of Tommy Boyd and Iain Lee?

Before my time. not interested in wallowing in the past. Zzzzzzzz.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief, I've just seen the picture of a young Steve Allen on the LBC web page. :o

Blimey, I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments on here about it, or did I miss them with all the pages that keep being removed, hint hint.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody posting praise is a lone voice in the wilderness. Try it; you'll get little, if any, response.

Its exactly the same for phone in topics, you get the odd comment on here of "Why don't they ever do anything positive ?" The reason for that is it usually make really dull radio and as a result the phones don't ring.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief, I've just seen the picture of a young Steve Allen on the LBC web page. :o

Blimey, I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments on here about it, or did I miss them with all the pages that keep being removed, hint hint.

:D
    I can remember him when he was young! I think he's definitely gone off a bit since his best days, but he can still be very funny sometimes.
    Forum Member
    Before my time. not interested in wallowing in the past. Zzzzzzzz.
    It seems the speech presenters with the most personality are the ones you don't like, yet you call them dull! I think the type of Radio you like is the dull and boring type.
    Who do you like?
    Forum Member
    That A-Z thing Nick Abbot foists on us at New Year has to be one of the dullest things Ive ever had the misfortune to hear. Smug and dull.

I actually put Abbot and Clive Bull (aka Cliché Dull) in a similar bracket as Steve Allen. Ok they're not nasty bullies like he is but they are coasting along at LBC presumably because they have past reputation for being radio gold. I wouldn't know, they've been total pants as long as I've been listening to the station. The very worst middle-class, self indulgent, MOR, smug and lazy radio, with Abbott being the main culprit. At least Clive recognises his own dullness and lightens our load by bringing in slightly less dull guests.

A very sad state of affairs.
    Nick his the funniest one on LBC. I think the fact he doesn't have guests on is a good thing apart from SA is there any other Talk radio presenter that doesn't have guests on?
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fame at last for J O'B. He features in the Radio Times Quiz of the Year! :D
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan Barkes is almost bursting a blood vessel because of the new law about smokets being fined if they smoke in a car while children are present.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan Barkes is almost bursting a blood vessel because of the new law about smokets being fined if they smoke in a car while children are present.

He's going to have a stroke if he's not careful. I've never heard a more angry presenter. No fun to listen to.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member

Nearly every month he does a smoking hour with an angle on it.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SA seems to live off ready meals!
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    SA seems to live off ready meals!

He claims to have a boot full of Prosecco. Terrif for diabetics who need a sugar-rush. :o
    Hope he won't imbibe too much and they're gifts for others.
    Forum Member
    Fame at last for J O'B. He features in the Radio Times Quiz of the Year! :D

:D Certainly he knows how to wing it, great stuff!
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    Also gret to see Ian Payne getting a good run out over christmas, personally think he's one of LBC's most underused presenters.

I've always liked Ian Payne. I know some complain he's rather bland but, he does let callers speak without interrupting them - other presenters often don't.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    I've always liked Ian Payne. I know some complain he's rather bland but, he does let callers speak without interrupting them - other presenters often don't.

I think my only problem with Ian Payne is he comes over as sounding young and a bit naive, probably nothing like the truth, but when I've heard him on the football show once in a while that was my impression, a few times he didn't seem to know some football general knowledge that happened a while ago, ie before Sky and the Premier League was started. Just an impression possibly as I've not heard him do straight shows and don't know if he comes over as older and more knowledgable doing that.
    Forum Member
    Nick his the funniest one on LBC. I think the fact he doesn't have guests on is a good thing apart from SA is there any other Talk radio presenter that doesn't have guests on?

From the comments on here Abbott was at his best when leaning on producer Amanda, and when she walked the show bombed even further, if that's possible.

Perhaps he should get some guests in and he might not sound so cynical and bored?
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    I think my only problem with Ian Payne is he comes over as sounding young and a bit naive, probably nothing like the truth, but when I've heard him on the football show once in a while that was my impression, a few times he didn't seem to know some football general knowledge that happened a while ago, ie before Sky and the Premier League was started. Just an impression possibly as I've not heard him do straight shows and don't know if he comes over as older and more knowledgable doing that.

His approach is more about exploring the subject with the listener, which makes a refreshing change after being assaulted by the know-it-all one-sided opinions of JOB, JHB, NF and the like.
    Forum Member
    His approach is more about exploring the subject with the listener, which makes a refreshing change after being assaulted by the know-it-all one-sided opinions of JOB, JHB, NF and the like.

....hit.nail.head.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That could be interesting. I still tend to turn off more than on these days though, and if it's festive trivia ad nauseam even with decent presenters for the whole Christmas holiday I may just turn off permanently. Hearing how I cook a turkey or what did you get for Christmas for the 500th time as if everyone turns their brain off for a week is not my idea of entertainment. Please can we have a bit of variety including serious stuff as well as dull fluff (if they really have to!)
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    That could be interesting. I still tend to turn off more than on these days though, and if it's festive trivia ad nauseam even with decent presenters for the whole Christmas holiday I may just turn off permanently. Hearing how I cook a turkey or what did you get for Christmas for the 500th time as if everyone turns their brain off for a week is not my idea of entertainment. Please can we have a bit of variety including serious stuff as well as dull fluff (if they really have to!)

Is it physically possible to switch off more than you switch on? :confused:
  • dfisher1dfisher1 Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm a Nick Abbot fan but I agree with BurlyBeaR that Nick's A-Z list is dreadfully boring. Its lazy presenting IMO. For me its the worst show he does during the course of a year. I don't bother tuning in it's so dull and tedious.

Nick is good in small doses - once or twice a week at the most. I remember when Iain Lee left and Nick filled in at Drive everyday non-stop. He soon ran out of ideas and things to say and resorted to doing a list per show. You could hear he was dying a death in that slot. It made for painful listening especially as he's my favourite presenter. The same goes for when he covers Duncan's slot. By the end of the week you can really hear him struggle for material. It probably doesn't help that people prefer to hear his monologues than call in and contribute.

He works best with a side-kick. Him and Amanda worked very well together. Since her departure the shows haven't been as good.

As for Ian Payne he should stick to sport. When discussing political topics he comes across as light weight - totally out of depth. His presenting style is pleasant though, not ramming his views down the callers throat a la Barkes/JHB/NF or belittle/mock them as O'Bile (as I recently saw him called on another website!) does.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it physically possible to switch off more than you switch on? :confused:
    This is a deeply intriguing existentialist philosophical question, which I feel should be discussed at length on this thread. It probably won't be, though :cool:
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dfisher1 wrote: »
    I'm a Nick Abbot fan but I agree with BurlyBeaR that Nick's A-Z list is dreadfully boring. Its lazy presenting IMO. For me its the worst show he does during the course of a year. I don't bother tuning in it's so dull and tedious.
    <snip>

I like Nick's A-Z of the year but think it has been dragged out in previous years - the last show or two he did when he went through the latter letters quickly seemed to work better. Maybe having just the four shows (presuming he doesn't continue it onto New Year's Day evening) will focus it a bit.
This discussion has been closed.