Micheal Parkinson Second Comeback

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
Forum Member
In my eyes, I think it's about time that Michael Parkinson came back to host a third incarnation of his talk show; the reason, because its very clear that today's celebrity chat shows are incredibly filled with egos and plugging items such as a new film of new Album.

Also, Jonathan Ross has had his day, Graham Norton's show is okay but it's just another one of those typical comedy chat shows, and Alan Carr: Chatty Man is just plain stupid, just look at the title of the how itself. I can actually imagine Parky interviewing the likes of James Corden, Jessica Ennis, Nigel Farage, Rob Brydon, Gary Neville, Brad Pitt, Benedict Cumberbatch, John Bishop and Michael Mcintyre.

It would also give Parky the chance to get popular with the Younger Generation, I mean, you can actually imagine if he interviewed One Direction, shall we say; that would be a great interview, and Parky would probably get the best out of the group and make them look likeable.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have anything to say on this?
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think Parky should host special throughout the year where he interviews one big guest
    Forum Member
    Anybody else?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Anybody else?
    It's bad forum etiquette to bump your own threads within a certain timeframe.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's bad forum etiquette to bump your own threads within a certain timeframe.

...especially one as short as the thread starter has allowed.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought he was fighting prostrate cancer or something similar?
  • red16vred16v Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. because its very clear that today's celebrity chat shows are incredibly filled with egos and plugging items such as a new film of new Album. ...

But that's exactly what his talk show became on ITV, did you not watch it?
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else?

20 mins later...30 mins later.... :confused:

Hilarious! Not.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's retired
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    He's retired
    He has a show on Sky Arts
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A lot of people all me my favourite interview, tough question"

Not anymore Parky. People ask why you sold out for an advert.
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    "A lot of people all me my favourite interview, tough question"

Not anymore Parky. People ask why you sold out for an advert.
    Easy money. Why not?

Stephen Fry and David Mitchell have answered the same question about the percieved selling out for doing an advert/voiceover.

Easy work, doesn't take long, good money.
    Forum Member
    I know that he's meant to be retired, but if I was in charge of Entertainment at BBC or ITV, then I would offer him a million pounds to come out of retirement. As today's chat shows are completely dire & garbage.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is almost 80. Let him have a rest.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parky continues to work part-time for Sky Arts and that format works well with a single guest, live performances and a little bit of audience involvement.

To be honest, I think his original 'Parkinson' chat show had had its day, even long before it moved to ITV.

Look back at the 1970s and early 80s episodes, and you'll see it was a fairly small, intimate studio, and guests were quite diverse and included poets. The latter run from the late 1990s to the late 2000s wasn't as good. It included a lot of reality TV types, while Parky himself was less controversial (in the 1970s he has a slight bluntness about him, like when he told Kenneth Williams he thought he was talking 'crap').

As I say, I think the Sky Arts format works well. If you like him, watch that programme. It's a bit different.

However, I DO agree that a chat show on TV where the host doesn't draw attention to him/herself, asks probing questions and actually listens to the answers, before asking another relevant question, would be very welcome.

You want an underrated chat show host? Mavis Nicholson. She's getting on a bit now but she knew how to ask good questions.
    Forum Member
    What do you think would happen if Parkinson interviewed Alan Carr? Would it be a good interview?
  • ProKitzelProKitzel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    He's too old now and it won't be how you remember them in the hey-day. Look at Bruce Forsyth, he was great years ago but just dithers his way through a programme now.