Options

80s Girls did it better!

Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
Forum Member
As the Madge slogan went back in 1986, "Italians Do It Better," I think that the 80s girls did it better. The dodgy "stars" that are around now have nothing on the big female stars and icons from the 80s:

Debbie Harry
Cyndi Lauper
Madonna
Kim Wilde
Kate Bush
Tina Turner
Kylie Minogue

(OK, Debbie Harry and Tina Turner were stars before the 80s, but they were still big in the 80s or made a comeback, respectively). And, on top of that, the above ladies are still going and looking great.

Nowadays, we have:

Katie Price (Jordan)
Kerry Katona
BB contestants
Jodie Marsh (when the press can be bothered with her)

Oh dear!

Comments

• Options
    pabs1904pabs1904 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted :rolleyes:
  • Options
    dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot Amy Winehouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dadioflex wrote: »
    You forgot Amy Winehouse.

Amy does have talent though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowadays, we have:

Katie Price (Jordan)
    Kerry Katona
    BB contestants
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Since the others mentioned 80's were pop stars, what has this lot got to do with your thread really .? Very confusing
  • Options
    Sid PotterSid Potter Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    OP

Katie Price (Jordan)
    Kerry Katona
    BB contestants

I cannot believe that any of these are Real Stars in the real meaning they are chavvy zelebs ....
  • Options
    MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    But you're comparing the biggest 80s female pop icons to zelebs. That isn't a fair comparison is it.
  • Options
    CrckyCrcky Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we got britney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To answer some questions on here, if you're old enough (!) to think back to the 80s, the women who were right across the press/magazines then were women like Madonna etc. Nowadays, we get Jordan etc.... that was the point I was trying to make and I guess it wasn't clear enough!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moloko wrote: »
    But you're comparing the biggest 80s female pop icons to zelebs. That isn't a fair comparison is it.

Who do we have in place of the big 80s female icons though? It's the zelebs..... that was what I was getting at. If you were a zeleb back in the 80s, you hardly saw the light of day! Now, there's a whole world out there for these people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soulmate9
    I understand , its just a shame that the 15 mins quote isnt enforced with a bullet ..lol
  • Options
    Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were to be a fair comparison you would put up the pop icons of the 00's like
    Britney, Christina, Beyonce, Rihanna & Mariah.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really the fault of the 00's female popstars though is it? It's the fault of the media who are too lazy to write about people who aren't living their life like a big soap opera, which excludes anyone who has a day job such as singing or acting etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fact is our Youth generation aspire to be sh*te an not pick up an instruments /or get vocal singing /coached...or do Dram works .....:( :(:(
    why not be a complete slug like the filth/sewer zelebs mentioned here an be *Famos* (said as jellous )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it were to be a fair comparison you would put up the pop icons of the 00's like
    Britney, Christina, Beyonce, Rihanna & Mariah.

Harry, I said all over the press.... ie today's equivalent of what there was in the 80s...... and how it's changed.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    ie today's equivalent of what there was in the 80s...... and how it's changed.

I couldn't agree more Soulmate9 :)

Trash like Zzzz-Factor and Flop Idol have helped kill off decent music :(

Long live the Eighties! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatabout us 60's girls.... ?!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Nowadays, we have:

Katie Price (Jordan)
    Kerry Katona
    BB contestants

Oh dear!

Pisho - how could you forget? :eek:

Paris Hilton :yawn:

Jade Goody :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more Soulmate9 :)

Trash like Zzzz-Factor and Flop Idol have helped kill off decent music :(

Long live the Eighties! :)

Sighs.... if only we had more of those 80s types of icons around now..... as in younger people, I mean, at least it would balance out all the chuff.
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    Pisho - how could you forget? :eek:

Paris Hilton :yawn:

Jade Goody :yawn:

I knew I'd forgotten someone! How could I indeed?!! She should've been at the top of the list.
  • Options
    XxLiannexXXxLiannexX Posts: 1,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to move on from the 80's....We are in 2008 and yes we have Kerry, Katie, Amy, Britney etc etc....

I think 80's were crap...Not that I remember cos I was born in 88 but from what my mum says it was pish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you need to move on from the 80's....We are in 2008 and yes we have Kerry, Katie, Amy, Britney etc etc....

I think 80's were crap...Not that I remember cos I was born in 88 but from what my mum says it was pish!

We have no choice but to, but see.... you'll be reminiscing yourself in another 10 years time! :p
  • Options
    XxLiannexXXxLiannexX Posts: 1,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah...I don't live in the past its dangerous...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nah...I don't live in the past its dangerous...

You don't have to live in the past to reminisce at times.
  • Options
    Boy George FanBoy George Fan Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    As the Madge slogan went back in 1986, "Italians Do It Better," I think that the 80s girls did it better. The dodgy "stars" that are around now have nothing on the big female stars and icons from the 80s:

Debbie Harry
    Cyndi Lauper
    Madonna
    Kim Wilde
    Kate Bush
    Tina Turner
    Kylie Minogue

I'm not so big on Kylie but I agree with you about all the others. Those were the days! :cool:
  • Options
    Boy George FanBoy George Fan Posts: 343
    Forum Member

Any time of someone's life can be crap. I loved the 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not so big on Kylie but I agree with you about all the others. Those were the days! :cool:

Sigh!

I used to laugh at my ma and pa going on about the 60s (as I don't like the music from that era.... sorry, Fleckerl!) but here I am!

I like the music from the 70s, btw, and some from the 90s and even some from now! Gasp, shock! But generally, IMO, the quality of music's gone downhill.