80s Girls did it better!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I'm not so big on Kylie but I agree with you about all the others. Those were the days! :cool:

I bet BG would love to have been added on here!!!! :D
    Forum Member
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    Sigh!

I used to laugh at my ma and pa going on about the 60s (as I don't like the music from that era.... sorry, Fleckerl!) but here I am!

I like the music from the 70s, btw, and some from the 90s and even some from now! Gasp, shock! But generally, IMO, the quality of music's gone downhill.

My Mum and Dad go on about the 70s and I'm with you - and them - on the quality of music from that decade alright, but I think every decade has had it's fair share of good stuff :) That said, I don't actually remember the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s! :p

^^ And not cos I was smacked out of it on drugs either - before anyone says! I was born in 1982 if anyone's interested. No? Oh well - I am!!!!
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    Any time of someone's life can be crap. I loved the 80s.

So because you loved the 80s, it must be the best.
  • Boy George FanBoy George Fan Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    I bet BG would love to have been added on here!!!! :D

He sure would!
    Forum Member
    Moloko wrote: »
    So because you loved the 80s, it must be the best.

Somebody else said on here that they were crap, so just because someone says something, it doesn't make it a fact. It's just different people's experiences. I never said that it was a fact that the 80s were the best, other than for myself. Don't put words in my mouth.
  • funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of poppy cock! I am old enough to remember the 80s very well.

You picked those icons, but seem to forget the trash of the 80s like Sam Fox, The Reynolds Girls, The Belle Stars, Sonia, Debbie Gibson and The Bangles.

In the 80s, the showbiz pages were littered with Page 3 models and radio1 DJs in a similar fashion to foootballers and WAGs these days.

In certain aspects there is a lot of similarity between the two decades. I loved the 80s don't get me wrong, but they weren't all that!
    Forum Member
    funci wrote: »

You picked those icons, but seem to forget the trash of the 80s like Sam Fox, The Reynolds Girls, The Belle Stars, Sonia, Debbie Gibson and The Bangles.

In the 80s, the showbiz pages were littered with Page 3 models and radio1 DJs in a similar fashion to foootballers and WAGs these days.

In certain aspects there is a lot of similarity between the two decades. I loved the 80s don't get me wrong, but they weren't all that!

Who? WTF??!!

As for the Bangles, they put out a very good version of Eternal Flame, I'll have you know!!!! :D and, er, did they do anything else??
    Forum Member
    Poppi - cock, Soulmate9!!!! :D:D:D

I've heard of Sam Fox and unfortunately also heard that terrible song she did - 'All Over My Body - or something equally terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who? WTF??!!

As for the Bangles, they put out a very good version of Eternal Flame, I'll have you know!!!! :D and, er, did they do anything else??

They were awful 80s artists!

Walk Like and Egyptian, Going down to Liverpool, but that was all really!

I've heard of Sam Fox and unfortunately also heard that terrible song she did - 'All Over My Body - or something equally terrible.

Touch Me - it was awful and my first true love bought that for me as a gift on valentines day in 1986. Funnily enough that relationship didn't last long!:D
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member

Actually, it's not a load of poppycock, ta very much. I happen to think the women I mentioned who were all over the press back then are far better than who we have today - and were the Reynolds girls and the others you mention ALL over the press all the time? No, they can't have been, otherwise I would've heard of them, and some of them, I haven't heard of. I don't know who the Reynolds Girls or the Belle Stars were, and though I've heard of the others, I don't remember getting a gutful of them. Debbie Gibson also used to write her own songs, so not so much trash, as far as I'm concerned.
    Who? WTF??!!

I believe Eternal Flame was actually written for them and theirs was the original version. I also don't think they were trash either..... again, they wrote most of their own songs and certainly played their instruments. They also did Manic Monday, although I think that may have been written by Prince.

It was Touch Me (I Want Your Body) and agreed...... bloody awful!

Poopy cock!
    Forum Member
    They were awful 80s artists!

Walk Like and Egyptian, Going down to Liverpool, but that was all really!

Touch Me - it was awful and my first true love bought that for me as a gift on valentines day in 1986. Funnily enough that relationship didn't last long!:D

Nice boyfriend!! :p
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    I believe Eternal Flame was actually written for them and theirs was the original version. I also don't think they were trash either..... again, they wrote most of their own songs and certainly played their instruments. They also did Manic Monday, although I think that may have been written by Prince.

It was Touch Me (I Want Your Body) and agreed...... bloody awful!

Poopy cock!

As long as it's not droopy cock, we're doing alright!!!! But I don't suppose there were a lot of them around Sam Fox!

BTW, I know Manic Monday!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Bangles were fantastic. They released some classic records throughout the decade and Susanna Hoffs was adorable. They also actually had talent which a lot of current artists are lacking.

It's also worth pointing out that Debbie Gibson wrote all of her songs and produced them at the tender age of 16. She really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Sonia and The Reynolds Girls.
    Forum Member
    As long as it's not droopy cock, we're doing alright!!!! But I don't suppose there were a lot of them around Sam Fox!

I suppose not!!

X-Factor time now..... gotta get!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Reynolds Girls

I was 16/17 when this came out and remember it vividly and Bruno Brookes and Liz kershaw caning it on Radio1! I still have nightmares!

I didn't say in my original post that I am a massive fan of every one of the 80s icons and that was a valid point, but only time will tell if Adele, Rihanna etc have staying power.

Manic Monday was written by Prince and is actually one of my favourites of his which is probably why I hate the bangles!:D

What can I say, age has made me very bitter!!:p
    Forum Member
    The Reynolds Girls

I was 16/17 when this came out and remember it vividly and Bruno Brookes and Liz kershaw caning it on Radio1! I still have nightmares!

I didn't say in my original post that I am a massive fan of every one of the 80s icons and that was a valid point, but only time will tell if Adele, Rihanna etc have staying power.

Manic Monday was written by Prince and is actually one of my favourites of his which is probably why I hate the bangles!:D

Now I remember it..... and all I can say is that it was somewhat unfortunate!
    Forum Member
    'Somewhat unfortunate' yes - but it's still a step up from Jordy's last album!!!! :p
    Forum Member
    The Reynolds Girls

I bet you anything you like Adele and Rihanna won't last out! Wino might, Spears won't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Potter wrote: »
    OP

Katie Price (Jordan)
    Kerry Katona
    BB contestants
    Jodie Marsh (when the press can be bothered with her)

I cannot believe that any of these are Real Stars in the real meaning they are chavvy zelebs ....

Agreed. They are no celebrities.

They are merely good at getting a manager who has a bulldog grip at not letting them slide out of the media light. :rolleyes:
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    Somebody else said on here that they were crap, so just because someone says something, it doesn't make it a fact. It's just different people's experiences. I never said that it was a fact that the 80s were the best, other than for myself. Don't put words in my mouth.

But the person you quoted never said it was fact. The person said that he or she thinks it was crap. I just don't understand why because that person thought that, you had to come up with a response with "anytime of somebody's life is crap", which is vague and implies that you thought it was the best
    Anyway, I wasn't around in the 80s but I did like the music a lot.
    Forum Member
    Moloko wrote: »
    But the person you quoted never said it was fact. The person said that he or she thinks it was crap. I just don't understand why because that person thought that, you had to come up with a response with "anytime of somebody's life is crap", which is vague and implies that you thought it was the best
    Anyway, I wasn't around in the 80s but I did like the music a lot.

I think the 80s were the best; implied or otherwise, that's what I think. :confused:
    Forum Member
    My Mum and Dad go on about the 70s and I'm with you - and them - on the quality of music from that decade alright, but I think every decade has had it's fair share of good stuff :) That said, I don't actually remember the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s! :p

^^ And not cos I was smacked out of it on drugs either - before anyone says! I was born in 1982 if anyone's interested. No? Oh well - I am!!!!

That was a good year. :)

Music-wise, things went downhill more in the late 80s, especially when SAW started to get a grip on the music scene. Prior to 1987, music was good, it was still inventive and people were still prepared to be different, rather than just look generic and follow either each other around like a load of sheep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a teen in the 80s and so I was very *into* music...should have got out more really!

All I'll say is that there was some absolute cack in the 80's and there's just as much now, it's just easier to get *noticed* to make a rubbish single!

Having said that I am currently listening to 'Baby I don't care' by Transvision Vamp on my iPod, so what do I know? :)
    Forum Member
    Supervixen wrote: »
    I was a teen in the 80s and so I was very *into* music...should have got out more really!

All I'll say is that there was some absolute cack in the 80's and there's just as much now, it's just easier to get *noticed* to make a rubbish single!

Having said that I am currently listening to 'Baby I don't care' by Transvision Vamp on my iPod, so what do I know? :)

Maybe there was more good stuff out in the 80s to help balance out all the crud?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOuDAjbxcV4

Transvision Vamp and the song you're listening to. I know this one - she was a bit of a fox!
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member

I was about to post exactly the same thing. I can also definitely remember people like Susannah Constantine (yep, of Trinny and Susannah) being all over the papers just for being a party girl.
  • codacoda Posts: 5,337
    Forum Member
    Debbie Harry - greatest impact in the 1970s. By the 80s her best was behind her.

Cyndi Lauper - underrated talent that was overtaken by...

Madonna - huge cultural icon that went on to over-shadow 80sheavyweights like Prince, Michael Jackson and George Michael.

Kim Wilde - marginal talent but a few pop gems.

Kate Bush - up there with the best, but debuted in the 70s.

Tina Turner - leaves me cold, but good lungs. a 60s artist, but her best years were the 80s.

Kylie Minogue - started off in Kim Wilde mode but now almost parellels Madonna. Sort of Madonna-lite in my opinion.