More Virgin/Tivo news

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Would assume it will do that, yes. It's a standard Tivo feature.
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I saw this thread... I was about to sign up to the virgin works. Will wait now til the new box is out, undoubtedly new customers will get the best deals. I suspect, for this reason, it will just launch one day - if everyone knows it's coming in 2 months, sales will dry up completely in the meantime.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Tivo customers will get to keep the V+ box for another room at a reduced price, in a smiliar way that we were offered this with the standard box when we upgraded to V+?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Virgin Media’s next generation connected TV service - powered by TiVo - and combined with our superior broadband will blow other ‘connected TV’ products out of the water."

I hope so!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I will be honest... I am drooling on my keyboard.... TIVOOOOOOOOO....slobber... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    The TiVo I have has an airnet add-on card installed and if I could be bothered setting it all up, then it would allow remote access which includes remote record. It's fairly easy to do but stopping the world accessing it was the tricky bit as you needed to install a logon script and encyption. Although I followed the instructions someone else posted on the TiVo forum, one of the scripts I needed wasn't correct so I gave up.

I certainly hope the new one has record from buffer I was astonnished that the V+ didn't as my TiVo, Thomson twin tuner PVR and Sky+ and Sky+ HD all did this. pretty basic function if you ask me...

Sky may have shot themselves in the foot over their Anytime+ service, I have my phone and broadband with VM but TV with Sky because quite honestly my SA V+ was unusable and the engineer was lucky not to find it flung it him when he arrived to take it away :D . Sky have only enabled Anytime+ to Sky broadband customers meaning people like me who want OD and can get VM will jump ship, especially with this new TiVo!
  • davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the new box must record from buffer (V+ HD is the only PVR I have had that can't do that) and remote record then I'll jump from Sky and their restricted HD content!
    My 10 years old TiVo series 1 can do that :)
  • bamindybamindy Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Remote recording is mentioned.

I envy the staff that will get these first!

Along with all the new features, this truly is going to be a ground-breaking box and a new era in TV!

Bring it on!

PS - For those questioning it's value, is it worth it, etc, short answer is yes. Don't care if it does cost £...
  • Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    The TiVo I have has an airnet add-on card installed and if I could be bothered setting it all up, then it would allow remote access which includes remote record. It's fairly easy to do but stopping the world accessing it was the tricky bit as you needed to install a logon script and encyption. Although I followed the instructions someone else posted on the TiVo forum, one of the scripts I needed wasn't correct so I gave up.

I certainly hope the new one has record from buffer I was astonnished that the V+ didn't as my TiVo, Thomson twin tuner PVR and Sky+ and Sky+ HD all did this. pretty basic function if you ask me...

Sky may have shot themselves in the foot over their Anytime+ service, I have my phone and broadband with VM but TV with Sky because quite honestly my SA V+ was unusable and the engineer was lucky not to find it flung it him when he arrived to take it away :D . Sky have only enabled Anytime+ to Sky broadband customers meaning people like me who want OD and can get VM will jump ship, especially with this new TiVo!

So true!, except in my case I am so annoyed with SKY and their attitude about Anytime+,I have jumped ship already! i am halfway through my notice period with SKY and a V+ box is being installed tommorow!.

TiVo looks like an interesting addition, which i will consider when its launched.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Sky have only enabled Anytime+ to Sky broadband customers meaning people like me who want OD and can get VM will jump ship, especially with this new TiVo!
    I have SkyHD, could get VM with one phone call - but have less than an overwhelming interest in OD!

However this statement about Anytime+ is only true at launch! Sky have said that it is likely to extended to other ISPs in time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I have SkyHD, could get VM with one phone call - but have less than an overwhelming interest in OD!

However this statement about Anytime+ is only true at launch! Sky have said that it is likely to extended to other ISPs in time.

But it is still true.
    And "In Time" could be many months or even a year or 2 as Sky will wan to get as many as possible to transfer to their own network for the extra money before rolling out to others.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    Big_Ted wrote: »
    But it is still true.
    And "In Time" could be many months or even a year or 2 as Sky will wan to get as many as possible to transfer to their own network for the extra money before rolling out to others.

Sorry, you're completely wrong - the restriction is due to problems with other ISP's not wanting Sky to abuse THEIR bandwidth.

It's not about trying to gain BB customers.

I would imagine it would require VM to give Sky permission to use VM's bandwidth for the service - otherwise VM could quite easily block the service, and presumably would?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, you're completely wrong - the restriction is due to problems with other ISP's not wanting Sky to abuse THEIR bandwidth.

It's not about trying to gain BB customers.

I would imagine it would require VM to give Sky permission to use VM's bandwidth for the service - otherwise VM could quite easily block the service, and presumably would?.

Ok first can I have a link that shows that I am wrong or is your statement the same as mine and an opinion ?

As to VM or any other ISP blocking Sky I don't see how they could as they let the terrestrial channels plus others like youtube stream without restrictions. Surely this would give Sky a right to take them to court over it.

If the BBC can have their content streamed at no cost for isp bandwidth Sky will get the same.

Its for this sort of thing that VM are starting to throttle p2p and usenet in the evenings to esure QOS for streaming media etc.
    Forum Member
    But it is still true.
    Totally agree with Nigel and disagree with you! I have seen no evidence that Anytime+ is being used to promote Sky Broadband (as Broadband makes them no money and there are no plans to extend Sky's LLU network this makes sense!)
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is still true.
    The key word will be bundle as Sky will want to try and get as many signed up to their broadband and phone services, more video on demand via Anytime+ will be key to this!

However VM might have the edge with Tivo and 50/100Mbs broadband.

Sky will have more choice of linear HD channels and will probably want to do a deal with BT wholesale to add fibre to the cabinet to offer 40Mbs broadband asap along with software upgrades to Sky+ to make it more features to keep up with Tivo!
    I notice Sky are asking people to register to get 40Mbs broadband even though they have not signed any deal with BT wholesale yet!
    http://skyhispeedbb.com/

VM will then need to increase the number of linear HD channels to keep up!
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    The key word will be bundle as Sky will want to try and get as many signed up to their broadband and phone services, more video on demand via Anytime+ will be key to this!
    Not at present as they don't make significant money out of either! Having Broadand/Phone (plus Anytime+) presently minimisesTV customers defecting. Positioning for the future perhaps!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    Ok first can I have a link that shows that I am wrong or is your statement the same as mine and an opinion ?

An informed opinion :D

As to VM or any other ISP blocking Sky I don't see how they could as they let the terrestrial channels plus others like youtube stream without restrictions. Surely this would give Sky a right to take them to court over it.

Fair useage policies apply, they could simply throttle the speed back to kil the service.

If the BBC can have their content streamed at no cost for isp bandwidth Sky will get the same.

The BBC have already had problems over abusing ISP's bandwidth, and Sky (with it been a commercial venture) are likely to be treated more seriously. The BBC is also a limited 'catch-up' service, Sky is a VOD service.

The current situation, with only their own LLU customers getting the service allows them to have full control over the entire situation.

The entire IPTV situation is very messy, someone is paying for all the bandwidth used - and it's NOT the broadcasters.

I don't see what all the fuss over TiVo is about, it's just a different PVR, but if you can get VM, I would suggest that their VOD service is always going to be better than Sky (or anyone else) can offer - VM have the infrastructure (where available), no one else does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Not at present as they don't make significant money out of either! Positioning for the future perhaps!
    Once the 40Mbs fibre broadband offering is available Sky will be able to start to charge more for broadband and TV bundle subscriptions, and add then more movies and sport on demand to make Sky more profit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An informed opinion :D

Fair useage policies apply, they could simply throttle the speed back to kil the service.

The BBC have already had problems over abusing ISP's bandwidth, and Sky (with it been a commercial venture) are likely to be treated more seriously. The BBC is also a limited 'catch-up' service, Sky is a VOD service.

The current situation, with only their own LLU customers getting the service allows them to have full control over the entire situation.

The entire IPTV situation is very messy, someone is paying for all the bandwidth used - and it's NOT the broadcasters.

I don't see what all the fuss over TiVo is about, it's just a different PVR, but if you can get VM, I would suggest that their VOD service is always going to be better than Sky (or anyone else) can offer - VM have the infrastructure (where available), no one else does.

Some would say that they don't see the fuss over a ferrari as its just another car like a ford model T :p

As for the VOD market, there are several more coming to market plus the Youview system, on top of that film4 VOD now launched and lovefilm etc expanding.
    This is going to be the biggest "legal" use of bandwidth in the future and that is why I believe VM sold their channels so they can look to be part of it as the Tivo will do internet stuff through widgets for youtube etc plus could be made a full internet device with the built in modem. Just update software and add a keyboard......

In fact VM have stated that apps could be added also and that bandwidth from tivo use will be seperate from normal BB.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what all the fuss over TiVo is about, it's just a different PVR

I have/had a series 1 TIVO and back in the day it was extraordinary. Right now I'm just surprised how little the mainstream cable/satellite boxes have improved since those days. I'm sure the new Tivo box will be fine, but I don't think it's going to be the second coming some people are expecting. Or they haven't seen what a modern Freeview box like the Topfield can do and have fairly low expectations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some would say that they don't see the fuss over a ferrari as its just another car like a ford model T :p

As for the VOD market, there are several more coming to market plus the Youview system, on top of that film4 VOD now launched and lovefilm etc expanding.
    This is going to be the biggest "legal" use of bandwidth in the future and that is why I believe VM sold their channels so they can look to be part of it as the Tivo will do internet stuff through widgets for youtube etc plus could be made a full internet device with the built in modem. Just update software and add a keyboard......

In fact VM have stated that apps could be added also and that bandwidth from tivo use will be seperate from normal BB.

The lovefilm service could be great. Particularly if the subscriptions are linked so that Virgin/lovefilm customers like me can view movies through Tivo as part of our existing Lovefilm package.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »
    I have/had a series 1 TIVO and back in the day it was extraordinary. Right now I'm just surprised how little the mainstream cable/satellite boxes have improved since those days. I'm sure the new Tivo box will be fine, but I don't think it's going to be the second coming some people are expecting. Or they haven't seen what a modern Freeview box like the Topfield can do and have fairly low expectations.
    Thinking a bit more and although other STBs have improved, I think there are some Tivo features which are patented, so Sky and others will not be able to copy them, which might give Tivo and VM the edge with some users!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Tivo will do internet stuff through widgets for youtube etc plus could be made a full internet device with the built in modem. Just update software and add a keyboard......

There is nothing new under the sun! I remember back in the olden days when the current crop of cable boxes had web apps and browsers. They even sold keyboards. And they all have built in modems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbcdesign wrote: »
    The lovefilm service could be great. Particularly if the subscriptions are linked so that Virgin/lovefilm customers like me can view movies through Tivo as part of our existing Lovefilm package.
    Don't Virgin already have a deal with the Disney/Sony Filmflex company for VOD films?
    edit but for some reason film companies charge more for vod films than on DVD The proposed Lovefilm vod cost on Youview will be more expensive than DVDs unless they can get a new deal, but then Filmflex/VM, BT and Sky will also be able to get new vod deals to reduce costs!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a284358/interview-lovefilms-lesley-mackenzie.html
    Due to its rights agreements with the six major Hollywood studios, LoveFilm's digital service runs slightly differently to its postal DVD offering. Any new DVD releases can be sent immediately to subscribers, but they have to pay extra to stream new films via a transactional video on-demand (TVOD) system, essentially pay-per-view. Mackenzie said that subscribers are usually happy with the situation, as they realise that new movies carry an additional value.