Options

American won't take too Cole.

Comments

• Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    BReal2 wrote: »
    For some reason these talent shows like people like who have little vocal talent like Cheryl, Paula Abdul and Jennifer Lopez to judge singers who are usually far better than them.[/QUOTE]

I think those can work if the judge is already known in the country, it's a risk -but as seen with Paula - people can warm to a personality but I dont see how it can work when people have never even heard of someone before. And despite what people say (that it's all in the past) I do think her ABH conviction will do her no favours- because surely the media will start to bring it up if she becomes famous there? also is her music strong enough to back her up as a talented artist because I think she will be seen as average compared to the masses of good singers already established there. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stash22 wrote: »

I think those can work if the judge is already known in the country, it's a risk -but as seen with Paula - people can warm to a personality but I dont see how it can work when people have never even heard of someone before. And despite what people say (that it's all in the past) I do think her ABH conviction will do her no favours- because surely the media will start to bring it up if she becomes famous there? also is her music strong enough to back her up as a talented artist because I think she will be seen as average compared to the masses of good singers already established there. :confused:

Yes, Paula is American and on top of that she was totally bonkers. Cheryl isn't half as entertaining.

I don't think her ABH conviction will be much of a problem but it's laughable that her lovers actually think she'll became a very huge superstar there.

Even in the UK, she needed her Girls Aloud experience and the stories with Ashley to become that huge. In the USA, they don't know anything about that and they have many pretty faces, it's the country of hollywood.

She won't fail, judging a plastic talent competition isn't that hard and thanks to the XF UK she has some experience. She'll also get some mag covers.

But of course she won't rule the charts there and won't become the American sweetheart. It's hard for her fans to accept it, but if you take away all the media hype in the UK, she really isn't all that special. She's pretty and she can be a bit charming, but at the end of the day there are several other girls in the US like her, and much younger, too. In the UK she'll always be the young girl who auditioned for popstars the rivals, but for the American she'll be a divorced 28-year-old british woman they hardly know anything about.

But let's see and let's talk next year again.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tfan26 wrote: »
    I expected the same old "Girls Aloud aren't big over there", "she has a funny accent", "theres better candidates" ect when the fact is that Cheryl has won the X-Factor twice and made a name out of herself with it.

Who better too get a job on the US X-Factor than an actually X-Factor judge? a damn good one at that!

She's an X Factor Personality, I wouldn't refer to "I have nothing to say, (points to crowd) just listen to this crowd" or "You're Reet Up my Street" as being constructive juding of any sort.

Yes her acts have won, but that doesn't make her a good judge. It just means the acts she has in the category she is given have been the best.

If it was the case of the best person being someone already doing a similar job well, Ant and Dec would be fronting every TV show possible and Simon Cowell would be a judge on every Talent show around the world.

Cheryl is a good X Factor UK personality because we've seen her go from a similar show and do well from it, then go solo. American's haven't.
    We've seen her go through bad times and pick herself up again. American's haven't.
    We've bought her or GA's records and seen her on TV for years before she was anywhere near X Factor. American's haven't.

Imagine if Simon suddenly Aubrey O Day from Danity Kane over here to be an X Factor judge, similar situation to Cheryl in that she comes from a reality show, but her band weren't big here and the majority of people would be completely unaware of who she was, so rather than letting her foibles slide because "aw, but it's Cheryl Cole" she'd be ridiculed, which is the risk Cheryl takes by going to America.

I can't see her doing well over there to be honest and I think it could muck things up here for her if she does end up on X Factor USA. Too busy to be in the uk to promote her records, not doing well in America and not concentrating on X factor Uk could do her more harm than good.

She's not got a big personality, or much of a personality at all. She seems to have decided that she has to act all refined and basically, boring, now, rather than the slightly rowdy, bitchy character she was in Girls Aloud. Especially on X factor she likes to come across as if butter wouldn't melt and this year in particular, she was very irritating with it.

Yes she's pretty to look at, but I don't really believe Simon could be considering her as a viable option for the US, would they really accept someone who is just pretty, with nothing else there to back it up? Not loopy, not bitchy, not funny, not feisty, just very very meh personality wise? I don't think so.
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Are you a brit in the states? You don't write like an American. You did say they were hugely successful. I never said they were complete unknowns. Yes, Victoria has done OK in Fashion, but neither Victoria or David is a household name in America like Simon Cowell etc. You might know them, your friends might, but the majority of people don't know them or don't know very much about them. When David moved to the states it was hoped he would make Soccer more mainstream. His move is widely regarded by publicity people and sports fans as a flop. His time at LA Galaxy has been plagued by injury and spending time in Italy which has pissed off the Galaxy fans. Soccer although popular there, is still nothing compared to Baseball, American Football etc.

LOL! No I'm not a Brit. Born and raised in America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lucy mane wrote: »
    Some British guy/girl is trying to tell you she not done well in the US. You live there. :D

The comedy on here sometimes lol!:D

All the A listers wear her dresses. She is on all the talk shows talking about her fashion line (The view, Letterman, Leno, Oprah, Ellen) but yet some British guy/girl says she has not done well in the US LOL!

I spend 4 months a year in the US and she is definitely a well known celeb even will more known than David. The funny thing is he/she is still trying to debate this lol:D

I agree Lucy!
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite sad really that you're still discussing Cheryl Cole on Christmas Day.................
  • Options
    brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    It's quite sad really that you're still discussing Cheryl Cole on Christmas Day.................

Apple have just started their 12 days of Christmas free downloads - first one is Miss Cole's 'music'.....ARGGGGGHHHH
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    It's even sadder that they weren't talking about Cheryl yet you had nothing better to do on Christmas day then trawl the interent looking for threads to "defend" poor helpless Cheryl :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's even sadder that they weren't talking about Cheryl yet you had nothing better to do on Christmas day then trawl the interent looking for threads to "defend" poor helpless Cheryl :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Beckham has done well in the US, but it's a different type of fame, it's not for being a pop star or mainstream reality tv star. And let's not forget, the Spice Girls sold over 11 million records in the US.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What can I say? It's a hobby. :)
  • Options
    wends1502wends1502 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be interesting to see how she gets on without Cowell by her side... I imagine she will struggle without him on any judges panel.

I also dont think she will be of any real use as a judge either, simply because the music genre on the US X factor is much broader, and less well known to the british. Hell, she doesnt even know much about classic british hits.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wends1502 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how she gets on without Cowell by her side... I imagine she will struggle without him on any judges panel.

I also dont think she will be of any real use as a judge either, simply because the music genre on the US X factor is much broader, and less well known to the british. Hell, she doesnt even know much about classic british hits.

You don't have to have encyclopedic knowledge in order to judge someone's singing ability in a competition.
  • Options
    Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    You don't have to have encyclopedic knowledge in order to judge someone's singing ability in a competition.

True, but you should be able to make some informed comments about someone's singing ability and possibly suggest areas for improvement in their singing, especially as the role includes mentoring acts. Cheryl is one of the weakest at this on the X Factor. Dannii is by far the strongest.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Cheryl gets the X-factor in America, gets a good producer and courts the right people in the business she has a very good chance of making it over there IMO. It all depends on making the right contacts. It has very little to do with talent (or lack of it). As long as you can hold a tune (which she can) you can make a decent record but you have to find the right songs and great song writers/producers. Cheryl is certainly capable of doing this and she's obviously very ambitious. It's up for grabs if she plays her cards right. In her favour she appears to be hardworking and she won't spend her time messing about with drugs.
  • Options
    wends1502wends1502 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;) the main issue is.... will she be able to take her mother with her though....
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wends1502 wrote: »
    ;) the main issue is.... will she be able to take her mother with her though....

If she's sensible I expect she will. She'll need someone with her to keep her feet on the ground.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Actually it's more likely that the U.S. Customs won't allow her a green card as she is a convicted felon. Funny how everybody forgets about that.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it's more likely that the U.S. Customs won't allow her a green card as she is a convicted felon. Funny how everybody forgets about that.
    Not really, it's usually brought up on Cheryl threads. I do agree though that you would think her criminal record should be a problem but I don't have enough legal knowledge to properly understand it. She seems to have had no problem getting a short term work visa, as she's taken part in documentary's filmed in the US, was featured in Will.I.Am's Heartbreaker video and has been spening a lot of time in LA the last couple of years. Maybe the fact that she was a teenager when it happened and she hasn't repeated the behaviour counts in her favour?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ONE crime she committed and she's been well behaved ever since. I've been involved in fights when I was a LOT younger but this doesn't make me a thug. My behaviour just changed when I left got older. NO ONE on this forum (I'm guessing) has led a perfect life.
  • Options
    JokerPokerJokerPoker Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Not always been Cheryl's biggest fan but I really felt sorry for her after watching her interview with Piers Morgan. I think sometimes people don't understand how just because people who read the papers forget about incidents involving celebrities, that the celebrities will as well!

It must be a horrible thing to have your trust completely destroyed by someone you love and that stuff can take years to get over, and then to add insult to injury she was told there was a good chance she was going to die! I wish her the best in conquering America as I reckon that escaping the disgrace which is the british media is what she needs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Being cautioned is one thing, having a criminal record even if it is one incident will have no truck with the USA customs, believe me. That is no laughing matter to them. It will be a factor (ironically) -I just think it's worth reminding people as people seem more interested in how the public take to her when she might not even get that chance.
  • Options
    JokerPokerJokerPoker Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Being cautioned is one thing, having a criminal record even if it is one incident will have no truck with the USA customs, believe me. That is no laughing matter to them. It will be a factor (ironically) -I just think it's worth reminding people as people seem more interested in how the public take to her when she might not even get that chance.

Man i'm sure there is many celebrities who have moved to America who have criminal records. Depends on the crime and hers ended up being pretty minor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find it's at the discretion of the Customs -it has nothing to do with how good you've been. Plus visiting or living there is not an issue it's WORKING. Look I'm not saying she should be turned back I'm just saying it's a pretty big obstacle and one that should be taken into consideration. I wouldn't want to upset the Cheryl worshippers, I'm not that stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s0436 wrote: »
    Victoria Beckham has done well in the US, but it's a different type of fame, it's not for being a pop star or mainstream reality tv star. And let's not forget, the Spice Girls sold over 11 million records in the US.

And there was me thinking the Americans had better taste in music than us. Shame on them.
    True, but you should be able to make some informed comments about someone's singing ability and possibly suggest areas for improvement in their singing, especially as the role includes mentoring acts. Cheryl is one of the weakest at this on the X Factor. Dannii is by far the strongest.

Dannii is the only judge who gives any type of constructive criticism on performance, star quality and vocal ability. Simon does give some, I guess, but Louis and Cheryl (Cheryl in particular) make some really inane comments that are not at all helpful to the contestants.

And IMO, Cheryl shouldn't get the job on US XFactor. As much as I like to see Brits doing well over the pond, why can't Simon give someone else a chance? Ms Cole has plenty going for her and a burdgeoning career to concentrate on in this country and in Europe.