Options

Have You Ever Fallen For A Scam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fell for my wife once and have paid for it ever since.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Anyone who voted LibDem at the last General Election was scammed!
  • Options
    KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of my mates last year got scammed out of a grand each. Some guy came around their house claiming to be the Eon man, saw that they smoked and made them an offer of some weed for 2 grand that they could sell on for a profit. So they gave it to him and never saw him again since. I thought it was pretty funny :o
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly got done once in Haven. There were 2 small traveller lads that came up to me and my gf and asked if we could do them a favour and rent out a tricycle for them. They said they had the cash and that their parents were on the otherside of Haven to get it for them, they initially said they would give me the money and would have to sign the paper for it when picking up the tricycles. I thought ok and we proceeded to go the rental place. Alarm bells started ringing thinking hold on, if I sign anything I am liable for the tricycles should they go missing. I am not one to judge but on this occasion I declined to go through it. I pretty much knew what their intentions were.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    Two of my mates last year got scammed out of a grand each. Some guy came around their house claiming to be the Eon man, saw that they smoked and made them an offer of some weed for 2 grand that they could sell on for a profit. So they gave it to him and never saw him again since. I thought it was pretty funny :o

What? They gave a complete stranger £2k for no reason?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got done buying fake Uggs from ebay for my girlfriend. I realised it was a scam as soon as i bought the boots & noticed the domain name ended in .ch rather than .com

They arrived fresh from China a few weeks later, utterly cheap & fake.

Never again...although i have to admit it was a quality phishing website.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    d3nium wrote: »
    I got done buying fake Uggs from ebay for my girlfriend. I realised it was a scam as soon as i bought the boots & noticed the domain name ended in .ch rather than .com

They arrived fresh from China a few weeks later, utterly cheap & fake.

Never again...although i have to admit it was a quality phishing website.

Did you dispute it with Ebay?
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Got caught once on a dating site about nine years ago. Received a message from a profile supposedly in my area saying she was interested. Sent a reply and got a message back saying she couldn't communicate through the site in case her husband found out (should have set alarms ringing then) but I could contact her through a bulletin board type thingy and she gave me her ID to send a message to. So logged into there and created a profile and left a message for her. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing trying to arrange to be on the site at the same time so we could chat, gave up and deleted the profile. It was only then I realised the dial-up service was 60p a minute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a woman come and knock on my door in London gabbling on about how she'd just moved in and had her baby at home and the gas man was coming and she needed a tenner and would bring it back later etc etc - she spoke really quickly and urgently (happened so quickly I didn't think to ask her why she'd left her baby on it's own in the flat!) I didn't really understand what she was saying so asked her to repeat and again was really quick blah blah - I always like to help people out so said no problem only (slams forehead) I only had a 20 so gave that to her instead. I was adamant all evening that she'd be back whilst my husband knew straight away!