ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tokenting wrote: »
    if ITV are incapable of making anything decent , perhaps they should purchase rights to show some of the big tv shows from usa to gain popularity.

It does air Downton, one of the most globally successful UK TV programmes ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/arts/television/downton-abbey-reaches-around-the-world.html?_r=0
  • leicslad4leicslad4 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    ITV seems to be content in shooting themselves in the foot. Lewis is being axed yet it has dented the BBCs viewing figures.

There needs to be more investment in making good quality programming in comedy and drama. Yes ITV have made some progress but they could do a lot better.

The programmes that i mentioned in a earlier post was axed due to falling ratings. This could be that we have been a multi channel era since the eighties and also they had strong actors.

Who could replace george cole/dennis waterman in minder nowadays

ITV undergoes a new look soon with new logos but in my honest opinion the whole ITV schedule needs a revamp as well
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad4 wrote: »
    ITV seems to be content in shooting themselves in the foot. Lewis is being axed yet it has dented the BBCs viewing figures.

Its NOT "being axed" as you so colourfully put it. The lead star wants next summer off, having worked every summer for the last 30 years and therefore will not commit to filming next year. The future beyond that is open. Endevour should fill the space left by Lewis next year anyway. Lewis without Kevin Whately's participation is impossible.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another day with no ratings crisis. This thread will have to be closed down if ITV continue to perform so well!
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/arts/television/downton-abbey-reaches-around-the-world.html?_r=0

And what a lot of the ITV bashers forget is that there are plenty of successful programmes made by ITV Studios - including University Challenge (on BBC2) & Come Dine With Me! (C4) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV is almost exculsively aimed at women i.m.o
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

I think he means show US imports. Something which ITV severely lacks.

What about shows such as Channel 4's Homeland. While US imports don't attract a lot of viewers, it can't be any worse than some of the programs they make themselves.

In the USA networks such as Fox seem to have far better programming. I know they rely more on advertising than here but there is more 'quality'.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm, the Itv1 ratings the last few days have been quite good. There I said it.

But I have a feeling tonight will be back to normal ;)
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Yet another day with no ratings crisis. This thread will have to be closed down if ITV continue to perform so well!
    Itv2's new American comedies only got 200k!
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly think ITV needs a major overhaul on it output throughout the day, I don't know personally what I would put on place but the whole schedule even during the week especially daytime is same old same old (or they would throw one programme running on a sunday and continue it during the week then back on to a sunday)

ITV needs to really revamp it, also I would suggest give ITV2 the very same treatment (only thing I watched was repeats of Benidorm on there and thats it as I am up in STVLand and if anything watched it on my PS3 to avoid STV) ITV3/4 are at least OK to watch but ITV needs to do something and quick (I don't think ITV are in a crisis but they are in a crisis with the amount of crap thats on there now) .... you could look at Sky 1 as an example at least making homegrown programming and I believe maybe ONE reality show "got to dance" (ok debatable on Sky Living) but to me at least its not thrown in your face ... and I think one reality show is enough for me but now I'm personally sick of Reality and these dating/cooking shows - is there anything worth watching nowadays I doubt it??
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    I honestly think ITV needs a major overhaul on it output throughout the day, I don't know personally what I would put on place but the whole schedule even during the week especially daytime is same old same old (or they would throw one programme running on a sunday and continue it during the week then back on to a sunday)

ITV needs to really revamp it, also I would suggest give ITV2 the very same treatment (only thing I watched was repeats of Benidorm on there and thats it as I am up in STVLand and if anything watched it on my PS3 to avoid STV) ITV3/4 are at least OK to watch but ITV needs to do something and quick (I don't think ITV are in a crisis but they are in a crisis with the amount of crap thats on there now) .... you could look at Sky 1 as an example at least making homegrown programming and I believe maybe ONE reality show "got to dance" (ok debatable on Sky Living) but to me at least its not thrown in your face ... and I think one reality show is enough for me but now I'm personally sick of Reality and these dating/cooking shows - is there anything worth watching nowadays I doubt it??

the daytime stuff no matter how unsatisfying for a degree of the population obviously works in terms of advertising and demographics as it has been similar at least throughout hte 2010s if not earlier.The same can be said for itv2. for samuel to suggest tonight will be a problem, could be correct but itv are aware that eastenders holby and death in paradise are strong on a tuesday night so schedule constructively against them to get a different audience but one still satisfying to advertisers. bbc 1 know what is particular strong on itv and vice versa and constructively schedule different rogramme types against it as an alternative, this adds the variety dimension to both schedules and makes them both satisfying to the british viewing audience - one little question just to make sure when itv ratings come up do these include utv and stv viewers and those in the channel islands because if it dont then its screws the picture and gives samuel w fuel for rose tinted cavalcade about a crisis that isnt happening as itv is still get advertsers even if it doesnt always get viewers, this is different to the bbc who dont care about advertisers and can go for the viewer who pay the direct licence fee taxation instead whereas itv do this almost as an afterthought after ratings in both cases crisis means different things for the reasons outlined above.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe ITV needs something to grab the viewers like:

'The Kennedys- The Nation Decides'- a sequel to The Monarchy-The Nation Decides.

Clare Balding and Matt Barbet present a live show produced by Thames (owned by the same outfit as Neighbours) where ITV regional viewers vote on the future of the Kennedy family from Neighbours.

If the ITV viewers vote 50% or more for their axing, the Kennedys go out in a Family Affairs style plot- think 1999.

And then if that was successful, you could have Cheryl, The Nation Decides.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    Maybe ITV needs something to grab the viewers like:

'The Kennedys- The Nation Decides'- a sequel to The Monarchy-The Nation Decides.

Clare Balding and Matt Barbet present a live show produced by Thames (owned by the same outfit as Neighbours) where ITV regional viewers vote on the future of the Kennedy family from Neighbours.

If the ITV viewers vote 50% or more for their axing, the Kennedys go out in a Family Affairs style plot- think 1999.

And then if that was successful, you could have Cheryl, The Nation Decides.

I'm immediately thinking last Kennedy brother died several years ago and there aren't any in Congress anymore. And so would 90% of the audience. Nobody knows Neighbours still exists, even less cares.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    And what a lot of the ITV bashers forget is that there are plenty of successful programmes made by ITV Studios - including University Challenge (on BBC2) & Come Dine With Me! (C4) :)

University Challenge was inherited from Granada, all ITV Studios do is provide the technical facilities.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    I'm immediately thinking last Kennedy brother died several years ago and there aren't any in Congress anymore. And so would 90% of the audience. Nobody knows Neighbours still exists, even less cares.

According to BARB it still gets around 1 million viewers at 1730, so clearly plenty of people know it still exists.

What really got me was watching the CITV anniversary weekend this week. It really hit home how innovative and bold the pre 1992 ITV could be, and the programmes shown were not even half of the goldmine ITV had in its archives as it missed out stuff like No. 73, Get Fresh, Round the Bend, Gilbert's Fridge etc.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    ftv wrote: »
    University Challenge was inherited from Granada, all ITV Studios do is provide the technical facilities.

That's true but ITV Studios still make many shows for other broadcasters such as the BBC's award laden The Street. They also now own several production companies that make formats for other broadcasters.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That's true but ITV Studios still make many shows for other broadcasters such as the BBC's award laden The Street. They also now own several production companies that make formats for other broadcasters.
    Presumably, selling their services externally for a "known" value makes better business sense than selling them "internally" and risk having them scheduled for a tuesday evening on ITV1!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    According to BARB it still gets around 1 million viewers at 1730, so clearly plenty of people know it still exists.

Why should ITV do a tribute to a show on Channel Five? Five is a channel where old series and formats go for a last gasp of life (Minder, Big Brother, Neighbours, Worlds Strongest Man, Home & Away, etc have all pasted through TVs retrirement home at some stage)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase is now putting clear water between it and the Pointless BBC offering, especially when the overlap time period from 5.15 is considered and +1 are included. Not what "the experts" :rolleyes: were telling us would happen! :p
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase is now putting clear water between it and the Pointless BBC offering, especially when the overlap time period from 5.15 is considered and +1 are included. Not what "the experts" :rolleyes: were telling us would happen! :p

Although we don't watch ITV much these days,we do love The Chase,the best gen knowledge quiz since Fifteen to One (imo).
    ITV,s efforts on a Saturday are now hard to believe.So sad that they have gone like this.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are the ratings during the overlap? Love The Chase!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Although we don't watch ITV much these days,we do love The Chase,the best gen knowledge quiz since Fifteen to One (imo).
    ITV,s efforts on a Saturday are now hard to believe.So sad that they have gone like this.

Yes when I think back to the intellectual heights of Man'O'Man its a terrible disappointment
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George, do you consider the Tuesday evening situation "unrecoverable"? The CL coverage gets the right demos when it's on, but it does seem to hamper ITV1 from building a positive "scheme" for the weeks when there isn't the footy. What would you do - or would you go along with the current apparent scheme of "discarding losers" (to coin a phrase from bridge) in those slots?

K
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Only 1.7million for Itv1 at 9oclock last night :eek:!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    George, do you consider the Tuesday evening situation "unrecoverable"? The CL coverage gets the right demos when it's on, but it does seem to hamper ITV1 from building a positive "scheme" for the weeks when there isn't the footy. What would you do - or would you go along with the current apparent scheme of "discarding losers" (to coin a phrase from bridge) in those slots?

K

Depends whether you want to spend more of the limited budget there at the expense of elsewhere? The content for last night between 7.30pm to 10pm probably cost in the region of £350k for 2.5 hours, so delivered an average of about 2.5m across the entire time slot. The CL delivers roughly double the ratings at a cost of £3m for the night.

If you want to average your ratings evenly across every night, you have to average you budget spend evenly which means a lot of mid budget programming, no sports rights, no high end drama and restricting budgets on the big reality shows - effectively the Ch5 strategy.

Is there really a demand from advertisers for this type of non-event programming? ITV could bring back loads of these shows - Bad Girls, Londons Burning, etc that would deliver nice gross figures but poor audience profiles, that would cost more to make then they would earn in ad revenue. Not sure that outside of league table bragging rights, it makes much sense though. It just takes money away from elsewhere in the budget.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Only 1.7million for Itv1 at 9oclock last night :eek:!

I notice you didn't comment on Lewis rating 2 million above expectations on Monday night and denting the comedies. What are your thoughts on that? Also The Chase has beaten Pointless two days in a row and Tipping Point is lording it in the 4pm hour.