Options

biblical query

123457»

Comments

• Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have decided Genesis isn't fact on the basis of current geological knowledge. What a strange question.

The whole thing isn't myth. In the 6th Century BC Babylon did indeed conquer Israel.

These questions seem to be going nowhere and have all been answered several times.

To anyone else wanting answers, I would respectfully ask them to read the thread. My involvement is over.

Any other books in the bible you've decided aren't true?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    That's why we have biblical scholarship so scholars can inform us which bits fit into which category and incorporate any recent archaeological finds.

"Inform us"? Maybe they could if they agreed on anything. Purely from researching topics on here I find disagreement about such things as the date of the census (10AD?), whether Josephus mentions jesus (a single paragraph, if it is about him) and whether "virgin" is a mistranslation for "girl of marriageable age".
  • Options
    Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I think the thread has succeeded in its intention..
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    How can this piece of biblical 'wisdom' be believed in?
    Deuteronomy 22/29
    'If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.'

No prosecution? And the victim has to marry her rapist without any hope of divorce?

At the time this was written daughters attracted a dowry - and the dowry would have been higher for a 'virgin' - the payment to the father would be compensation for the loss.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

From the Go-Between by L. P. Hartley
  • Options
    Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    At the time this was written daughters attracted a dowry - and the dowry would have been higher for a 'virgin' - the payment to the father would be compensation for the loss.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

From the Go-Between by L. P. Hartley

I am going to speculate that proof, prosecution and women being believed was in short supply?

in other words hokuum is hokum regardless of when it hoked
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the thread has succeeded in its intention..

What was the intention ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can this piece of biblical 'wisdom' be believed in?
    Deuteronomy 22/29
    'If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.'

No prosecution? And the victim has to marry her rapist without any hope of divorce?

Simple answer.

Religion is stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Surely if we have free will we can make judgements on anything?

I suppose thats true, I suppose I have made a judgement on God too. I judged the bible, I judged Jesus, I judge myself and found I needed a saviour. when I jugded God, Jesus, the holy Spirit, and the holy Bible I decided I would believe. I do believe. its called personal faith.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the same as any other mythical God!

I disagree that is my choice. you disagree with me. fine!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

BIB - thats just myth and superstition. There's isn't any evidence to support it.

There is evidence to support much of what is in the bible, it is just that people choose to ignore it. many of the facts about the building of the temple at Jerusalem for example
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I suppose thats true, I suppose I have made a judgement on God too. I judged the bible, I judged Jesus, I judge myself and found I needed a saviour. when I jugded God, Jesus, the holy Spirit, and the holy Bible I decided I would believe. I do believe. its called personal faith.:)

Thank you very honest. Perhaps as you have had the 'cheek' to judge God yourself you can understand why others make their own different judgements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

BIB - thats just myth and superstition. There's isn't any evidence to support it.

one other point. FAITH doesn't need EVIDENCE when a man or a woman falls in love they know that they have this emotional connection to this other person, but try as they might they can't prove to any other living person that what they are feeling is 'really LOVE' they can't even 'prove it' to the person they love or themself. the person in love says "I love you" and the other person either believes them or doesn't believe them. It is very much like this for a Christian. we believe that God said "I love you" when he sent Jesus to die for us on the cross. and respond "I believe you" as soon as we say "I BELIEVE" God gives us his Holy Spirit. and We find that we canthen say "I love you Jesus/God"
    I still can't prove it. in the same way nobody can prove they love or are loved!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is evidence to support much of what is in the bible, it is just that people choose to ignore it. many of the facts about the building of the temple at Jerusalem for example

Where do you stand on the age of the Earth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one other point. FAITH doesn't need EVIDENCE when a man or a woman falls in love they know that they have this emotional connection to this other person, but try as they might they can't prove to any other living person that what they are feeling is 'really LOVE' they can't even 'prove it' to the person they love or themself. the person in love says "I love you" and the other person either believes them or doesn't believe them. It is very much like this for a Christian. we believe that God said "I love you" when he sent Jesus to die for us on the cross. and respond "I believe you" as soon as we say "I BELIEVE" God gives us his Holy Spirit. and We find that we canthen say "I love you Jesus/God"
    I still can't prove it. in the same way nobody can prove they love or are loved!:)

BIB - So basically you will believe anything.