Do you think someone will beat Mariah Carey's 18 number one singles?

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
Mariah Carey has had 18 number one singles on the Hot 100. Do you think another female artist will ever match and beat her? Rihanna has 13.

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's possible for Rihanna to do it only being 27 but I hope she doesn't personally.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno, but does anyone think it's odd that she had so many no.1s in the US but only two in the UK (and on of those was Against All Odds with Westlife :o)?
    Forum Member
    I don't find it odd but I think she deserves more than Without You and Against All Odds. We Belong Together definitely should have hit #1.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    No reason why it can't be beaten.

Mariah made US radio friendly songs that US radio played over and over again which helped her chart positions significantly.

Can anyone name even 5 of them without using Google, I couldn't and I've got 3 of her albums.
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

Mariah made US radio friendly songs that US radio played over and over again which helped her chart positions significantly.

Can anyone name even 5 of them without using Google, I couldn't and I've got 3 of her albums.

I can name pretty much all of them.

Vision Of Love
    Hero
    I'll Be There
    Fantasy
    Honey
    We Belong Together
    Dreamlover
    My All
    Heartbreaker
    Thank God I Found You
    Touch My Body
    Don't forget About Us
    Emotions
    Always Be My Baby

And I feel like I'm missing a really obvious one.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can name pretty much all of them.

Vision Of Love
    Hero
    I'll Be There
    Fantasy
    Honey
    We Belong Together
    Dreamlover
    My All
    Heartbreaker
    Thank God I Found You
    Touch My Body
    Don't forget About Us
    Emotions
    Always Be My Baby

And I feel like I'm missing a really obvious one.

You missed One Sweet Day, Love Takes Time and I Don't Wanna Cry
    Forum Member
    You missed One Sweet Day, Love Takes Time and I Don't Wanna Cry

One Sweet Day was the obvious one I was missing. I love the acapella version of that song.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find it odd but I think she deserves more than Without You and Against All Odds. We Belong Together definitely should have hit #1.

Yes, WBT is one of the best ballads ever, yet it hardly gets played on the Radio anymore...
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Yes, WBT is one of the best ballads ever, yet it hardly gets played on the Radio anymore...

I hardly hear any Mariah on the radio but when I do it tends to be her older stuff. I can't believe that song is 10 years old
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I dunno, but does anyone think it's odd that she had so many no.1s in the US but only two in the UK (and on of those was Against All Odds with Westlife :o)?

I like to think that's because the Brits have more taste !
  • LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rihanna will.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you asked me last year I'd have said Rihanna definitely. But apart from FourFiveSeconds all her material this era has been received really tepidly, I'm not sure she'll do it.

Katy is another possibility but I doubt she'll get another 9 #1's

I actually think the biggest contender is Taylor Swift. She's only had four at present but she just seems to get bigger and bigger, who knows where she'll be at in a few years.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna will. ;) She only needs 6 more and she overtakes Mariah.
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna is the only obvious contender! Plus she does more features than Katy and Taylor which gives her a bigger chance!

Katy could but it would take a very long time, although she has only released 3 albums!

I doubt Taylor would, she's just having a great era for singles that Rih had with GGGB and Loud and Katy with Teenage Dream
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy Perry is the obvious choice 9 in eight years that's more ore less one for each year of her career. Plus only three albums in and when her singles take off the take for instance:

I Kissed A Girl
    California Gurls
    Teenage Dream
    Firework
    E.T
    LAst Friday Night
    Part Of Me
    Roar
    Dark Horse

If she keeps up the radio friendly songs she can do it or come close.

Rihanna I think she may have had her time but I wouldn't discount her.

TS might just challenge Madonna BB was #1 due to the remix alone had it not had that doubtful it'd be her fourth #1.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    i think it's highly unlikely Mariah will ever achieve another #1, so it's only a matter of time until somebody surpasses her. My money is on Katy Perry.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    If Rihanna's latest output is a sign of things to come, Rihanna will still have 13 US #1 singles in 10 years time.

If Katy Perry gets two more really successful eras bagging 4/5 US #1 singles from very clever marketing/promoting then I'd say Katy is more likely than Rihanna right now at overtaking Mariah.
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I think Rihanna will surpass Mariah at some point in the future. I'm not sure about Katy Perry. I guess we'll have to see how her career pans out over the next 5-10 years. Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga are far behind.
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

I managed to list about 12, but I had to look up the rest. It's strange that some of her biggest U.S. #1 hits didn't chart as high in the U.K. Fantasy and Hero are the biggest surprises. She only got a second #1 because of Westlife.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna's had 3 or 4 number 1s in a year before so I wouldn't be surprised if she could do it. Basically all she needs is another 3 strong solo singles and 3 features and she's made. If she goes back to album-a-year she could get it just from her lead singles before she's 30.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Rihanna will.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Rihanna, though her recent output may put that to question, plus in 2017 she will have been out for over 10 years, there is the whole age and years in the business factor, she may get less airplay for being in that position and seen as an artist of yesterday similar to Britney and Madonna at this point, just a possibility, the world of music and showbiz is unpredictable and can turn on you at any time when you least expect it.

Katy has a slim chance of it, I doubt radio will be playing her in five years time, she'll get the whole Britney, Madonna treatment at that point and completely new artists will have taken her and the likes of Swift, Rihanna, Gaga's spots.

My prediction is if someone does break Mariah's record, it will be a female artist who hasn't came out yet, think someone young coming out in a few years and being the whole new superstar.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    If you add the Spice Girls 9 number ones plus their solo number one singles they already come very close.

If they reunite Mariah will be sh***** herself!
    Forum Member
    If you add the Spice Girls 9 number ones plus their solo number one singles they already come very close.

If they reunite Mariah will be sh***** herself!

Eh? Talking about the US where they have 1 #1
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Id prefer Katy Perry to do it, compared to Rihanna or Taylor Swift (yawn) but that's just my opinion

Mariah is a legend!
    Forum Member
    If it was going to be anybody I'd prefer Katy too but I hope it doesn't happen, though it almost definitely will do.

A legend for sure and she written all but one of her #1 hits and is listed as a producer (I'm sure she produces her own vocal) on the majority.