Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    So it was the last Graham Norton tonight until the Autumn, which would have fitted very well with them running 'Wimbledon Tonight' at 10:35 on BBC One. But alas they chose not to run with this option.

Apparently Wimbledon2day is 8:30 only for the first week, moving to 8:00 in the second week, which is quite messy scheduling.
    BBC2's scheduling has been messy for months. A channel that has lost its way.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty bad line up tonight though lest there is Glastonbury to watch on thee BBC.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Glastonbury 2015 got off to a good start yesterday right across the BBC:

7.30pm BBC2: 0.98m (5.5%)
    8pm BBC3: 0.34m (1.9%)
    8.30pm BBC4: 0.38m (2.0%)
    9pm BBC4: 0.51m (2.7%)
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With out BBC3 next year I guess this will have its own channel or red button?
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Glastonbury 2015 got off to a good start yesterday right across the BBC:

7.30pm BBC2: 0.98m (5.5%)
    8pm BBC3: 0.34m (1.9%)
    11pm BBC3: 0.87m (9.0%)
    8.30pm BBC4: 0.38m (2.0%)
    9pm BBC4: 0.51m (2.7%)

The second BBC3 programme had a strong lead-in of 0.90m (5.1%) from the Women's World Cup. (Did the football overrun at all?)
    The football went to penalties, so it was going on long after 11pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few others...

BBC News at Ten: 4.41m (24.5%)
    Graham Norton: 3.41m (25.4%)
    Cats Do Countdown: 1.19m (6.4%)
    The Last Leg: 0.99m (6.1%)
    Big Brother: 1.09m (5.9%)
    Bit on the Side: 0.53m (3.9%)
    Women's World Cup: 0.90m (5.1%) exc. overrun
    A League of Their Own: 0.30m (1.6%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up. Post edited.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone has the +1 for all C4 or C5 would be appreciated!

Norton great as usual
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks has gone from enjoying a resurgence to a total disaster over the last few months. Once again it was beaten by Home and Away which is becoming a regular thing on Fridays:
    Hollyoaks was seen by 430k (2.9%), while 366k (2.3%) watched the first look showing at 7pm on E4.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a655324/uk-tv-ratings-quiz-night-on-coronation-street-seen-by-617-million.html
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Hollyoaks still exisit?:D
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks has gone from enjoying a resurgence to a total disaster over the last few months. Once again it was beaten by Home and Away which is becoming a regular thing on Fridays:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a655324/uk-tv-ratings-quiz-night-on-coronation-street-seen-by-617-million.html

Horrific for HO. Less than 800k with C4 and E4 combined and will most likely be lower during late july and august.

The big 3 all gained about 500k which seems odd to me as the weather was comparable to the previous week. Shows how fickle the ratings can be I suppose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Does Hollyoaks still exisit?:D
    I think hollyoaks should be axed.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »

According to the BBC schedule website the football ran to about 23:45, 45 minutes into the intended 75-minute slot for Glastonbury.

As we know, BBC Three and other multichannels are never tape-checked, but it will all be sorted out in the officials.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Well the BBC Weather isn't predicting that high and it's about 10 degrees cooler up north.

Of course weather in this thread goes round in circles, predictions that shows will be dented, followed later by crisis calls and lengthy debates about what has gone wrong when said shows are dented.

It's always nice weather at Wimbledon since they built the roof which gets about 1 use every year!

BBC Weather are predicting a heatwave now. Over 30℃ by Wednesday.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Barry Davies on the BBC Wimbledon commentary team
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's shocking, HO being beaten by an Australian import ? :o
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Martin recovered a bit from the last two weeks with 2.3m last night, when it was 1.7m last Friday.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3.3m for Celebrity MasterChef seems a fair bit lower than normal. I know that for 30 minutes it was against Corrie but even so, across the 90 mins I'd normally still expect 4m. I wonder if running it so close to the last series of regular MasterChef has led to overkill?
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think hollyoaks should be axed.

It is not a good rating for HO. However Friday is not a good evening for the show, with the weekend and there are so many other ways to view the show now, on demand, E4 repeats and of course the Sunday omnibus.

I very much doubt CH4 will axe the show, it has the 16-34 viewers and all networks crave this demographic. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Horrific for HO. Less than 800k with C4 and E4 combined and will most likely be lower during late july and august.

The big 3 all gained about 500k which seems odd to me as the weather was comparable to the previous week. Shows how fickle the ratings can be I suppose.
    Hollyoaks is always hit hardest out of all the daytime soaps during spells of summery weather due to its very young audience. Still poor to be beaten by H&A though which itself is on its last legs. The problem has most likely been exacerbated this year by the fact the show is reportedly a bit of a mess at the moment.

I could see it being cancelled soon if it doesn't get its act together. But I've said that before and it usually does.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    3.3m for Celebrity MasterChef seems a fair bit lower than normal. I know that for 30 minutes it was against Corrie but even so, across the 90 mins I'd normally still expect 4m. I wonder if running it so close to the last series of regular MasterChef has led to overkill?

I think BBC1 act a bit like Ch4 do with a hit in this instance. Once Celeb Masterchef finishes Masterchef The Professionals will start on BBC2.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks is always hit hardest out of all the daytime soaps during spells of summery weather due to its very young audience. Still poor to be beaten by H&A though which itself is on its last legs. The problem has most likely been exacerbated this year by the fact the show is reportedly a bit of a mess at the moment.

I could see it being cancelled soon if it doesn't get its act together. But I've said that before and it usually does.
    yes those Hollyoaks ratings are bad, but soaps are hard to cancel, they eat up alot of hours fairly cheaply (by drama standards), also soaps do rebound, we see it time and again, sure there is a back drop of falling ratings generally, but soaps can pull themselves out of a bad patch. Its a big decision to axe a soap, even an Aussie import.

Also C4 will most likely give Hollyoaks a 12 month run as an E4 exclusive, see how it goes, before they axed it. I dont know if Channel 5 would do the same with H&A and 5*
    I actually wonder if that is to do with the small sample size, and those 500,000 being about 2 BARB boxes.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Channel 4 will move it to E4 if it falls short of 500,000 on a regular basis as most of its following is under 25. Home and Away is also in its death throes now, and Australia seems to be ignoring it, so I think this could go as well if the Australians decide to cancel it. ( Channel 5 are hamstrung with a whole life deal).
    Also how did Hanna do on Film 4 last night? Not the most obvious request, but this rather surreal action film is always worth watching. My name is Hanna und I live in Leipziger Strasse in Dresden und I like tennis und athletics( as well as killing).
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And yet it still regularly wins the storyline of the week poll on DS - which maybe goes to show that the members who use the soap section of DS are necessarily representative of the wider audience.
    I very much doubt CH4 will axe the show, it has the 16-34 viewers and all networks crave this demographic. ;-)
    Yep - this is very much the Holy Grail of the tv channels, however, I sometimes wonder if they're desperation to attract this audience doesn't diminish the channel on the whole........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    yes those Hollyoaks ratings are bad, but soaps are hard to cancel, they eat up alot of hours fairly cheaply (by drama standards), also soaps do rebound, we see it time and again, sure there is a back drop of falling ratings generally, but soaps can pull themselves out of a bad patch. Its a big decision to axe a soap, even an Aussie import.

Also C4 will most likely give Hollyoaks a 12 month run as an E4 exclusive, see how it goes, before they axed it. I dont know if Channel 5 would do the same with H&A and 5*.
    To be honest, I don't think C4 or E4 would miss Hollyoaks all that much. It's too inconsistent.

If E4 was dependent on it then that would be another matter but E4 has a strong slate outside of Hollyoaks and crucially it has shows that can fill many hours and repeat very very well like Big Bang Theory. It's got to be more cost effective for them to show an episode of TBBT for the 689th time than a brand new episode of a homegrown soap, even if the repeat was to rate about 25% worse (I don't believe it would do much worse than that).

I take the point about its strong demos but E4 has plenty of other young skewing imports as well as TBBT that could be shown in its place on C4. They could alternate between them each weeknight, that way E4 would still benefit in some way. E.g.:

Mon: Simpsons / Big Bang Theory
    Tue: Simpsons / Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Wed: Simpsons / 2 Broke Girls
    Thu: Simpsons / New Girl
    Fri: Simpsons / Simpsons (New Episodes)
This discussion has been closed.