Options

Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this Ben Miller is so brilliant in the role. To change the actor in a show like this is ridiculous ( obviously its his decision) but its so wrong. I can't stand Kris Marshall he will always be that idiot in My Family and Love Actually to me. I mean its like Martin Clunes quitting Doc Martin and the role be taken over by Mr Bean.:mad:
    That's me done i only watched it for Ben Miller.:(
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr bean (well rowen Atkinson) would probably do quite a good job!

I suspect that it will end up being badly written like Carl's murder in emmerdale.

Hopefully the bbc, scriptwriters and Ben miller will read this!
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    That's me finished watching then.

Can't stand that Kris Marshall.

I had to deal with him on a flight, a ****

Ooh do tell?
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious replacement was Rob Brydon, for whom Ben Miller's always mistaken...but I should think his desire to spend six months in the Caribbean each year is also low!

I'm disappointed in Kris Marshall being the replacement. It's the uptightness of Richard against the laid-backness of the Caribbean that's the pleasure in it for me. And they've so nicely built up the team's affection for Richard....what a waste.

I'm sure they didn't expect it to be so successful.
  • Options
    tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit disappointed with the news too :cry:

However, I was away and missed the last episode, didn't panic as I would watch it on inlayer, anyway a couple of weeks later it wasn't there :( Anybody any idea where or how I could see it?

Ta muchly
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor decision imo.

Firstly, despite a great supporting cast, Ben Miller pretty much is the show. Its built around his brilliant suited grumpiness and is one of the best character finds in recent years-and the character connection with Camille is such a hook for the story. Disappointed he couldnt have seen it through at least another full series.

As for Kris Marshall, the only thing I know him from is My Family, even then not a great fan of it, even more didnt like his character.

Im kinda almost angry at this.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    The obvious replacement was Rob Brydon, for whom Ben Miller's always mistaken...but I should think his desire to spend six months in the Caribbean each year is also low!

I'm disappointed in Kris Marshall being the replacement. It's the uptightness of Richard against the laid-backness of the Caribbean that's the pleasure in it for me. And they've so nicely built up the team's affection for Richard....what a waste.

I'm sure they didn't expect it to be so successful.

Yes it does seem like discovering a pearl and then just lobbing it back in the sea.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Wench02 wrote: »
    I can understand if Ben Miller didn't want to do any more series, but in that case, why just not film series three and leave it at that. After all, there wont be an awful lot more milage in it after that.
    Can I borrow your time machine when you're done with it, please? :rolleyes:
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    I'll give the new guy a decent chance, after all, I would honestly say I would miss the gorgeous sunny setting in winter, plus fidel and dwayne and that rather gorgeous Sara Martins.

Give it a chance eh?
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I borrow your time machine when you're done with it, please? :rolleyes:

Exactly.

See previous posts on this thread re amount of mileage left...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Poor decision imo.

Firstly, despite a great supporting cast, Ben Miller pretty much is the show. Its built around his brilliant suited grumpiness and is one of the best character finds in recent years-and the character connection with Camille is such a hook for the story. Disappointed he couldnt have seen it through at least another full series.

As for Kris Marshall, the only thing I know him from is My Family, even then not a great fan of it, even more didnt like his character.

Im kinda almost angry at this.

I know, it's ridiculous. If Ben miller wants to leave, they should make one more series and end it there. Why do programme makers always want to hang onto something even though it's over?

Death In Paradise is a brilliant show starring Ben Miller, if they want a vehicle for the very average Kris Marshall, come up with a new show and lets remember this one as it was.
  • Options
    Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Regarding The show, we watched a recording of it one time and my oldest daughter wanted to know what was in Richard's briefcase and we all had a discussion about it and decided it was sandwiches. I like Kris Marshall and am even now wondering what he'll have to carry about with him everywhere without ever using.

Seriously though, we should all give the guy a chance. He might turn out to be fantastic, you never know, and maybe Miller has something exciting lined up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite frankly I cannot see the problem with making one more series with Ben Miller and leaving it at that... or maybe leaving it a couple of years and then doing a new one with another lead actor.

The show has such a small main cast, that I think that by removing one of them is not a good move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I am more fascinated/worried (in equal measure) as to how the writers will resolve Camille and Richard.

Because which ever way you cut it, the dynamic will change quite considerably (and giving Marshall the benefit of the doubt):
    Both Camille and Richard were effectively pushed into their servce in the first episode - Poole due to the connivations of the Police Commissioner, and Camille, because her cover had been blown.
    It would be a real disservice to Camille's character if she suddenly "fell" for Humphrey - so expect that needs to be much more feisty (reminds me of Lily always being passed over for some visiting UK copper? Perhaps without murdering him!)
    In the press release they have made it clear that the new DI is looking for escape from the hum-drum, so I doubt he will reprise the suit and buttoned up image - maybe go completely the other way and be more laid back like Charlie?

In terms of giving Kris Marshall a chance - if I am being honest I have only been impressed with him once (BT ads don't count!) and that was in The Four Feathers - having seen him as the dopey son in My Family before that. He also was in something called My Life in Film, and it wasn't bad... but it wasn't great either.

I will give him a chance, but I think that the transition will be a bigger opportunity to test Sara Martins' acting mettle, as she is going to have to carry the show as Marshall's character settles in to the role as well as dealing with however they write Poole out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    I think I am more fascinated/worried (in equal measure) as to how the writers will resolve Camille and Richard.

Because which ever way you cut it, the dynamic will change quite considerably (and giving Marshall the benefit of the doubt):
    Both Camille and Richard were effectively pushed into their servce in the first episode - Poole due to the connivations of the Police Commissioner, and Camille, because her cover had been blown.
    It would be a real disservice to Camille's character if she suddenly "fell" for Humphrey - so expect that needs to be much more feisty (reminds me of Lily always being passed over for some visiting UK copper? Perhaps without murdering him!)
    In the press release they have made it clear that the new DI is looking for escape from the hum-drum, so I doubt he will reprise the suit and buttoned up image - maybe go completely the other way and be more laid back like Charlie?

In terms of giving Kris Marshall a chance - if I am being honest I have only been impressed with him once (BT ads don't count!) and that was in The Four Feathers - having seen him as the dopey son in My Family before that. He also was in something called My Life in Film, and it wasn't bad... but it wasn't great either.

I will give him a chance, but I think that the transition will be a bigger opportunity to test Sara Martins' acting mettle, as she is going to have to carry the show as Marshall's character settles in to the role as well as dealing with however they write Poole out.

See my post above.... I highly suspect we will have a couple of episodes with Richard in it, and then some badly written way of him exiting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See my post above.... I highly suspect we will have a couple of episodes with Richard in it, and then some badly written way of him exiting.

Yep - saw above... just voicing what I'd like to see the writers considering.
    The writing can be a bit disjointed at times, which is a shame as I think they need to do both Richard and Camille justice as they were key to the success of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alas I dont think the writers nor the BBC will be reading this.
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,377
    Forum Member
    I hope they kill Richard off personally as anything less would be an insult to all the previous episodes, and the friendships and loyalties built up between the team.

I don't think he would just up and off, especially as he came back in the finale of series 2 when he didn't have to, and he genuinely cares for the team.

Also, the Richard/Camille storyline deserves a decent ending, I don't think he would leave now when they have come so far...

So sad as it seems, unless Ben wants to make guest appearances (which I don't think would work), the only way to end Richard's role is to kill him off.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think he would just up and off, especially as he came back in the finale of series 2 when he didn't have to, and he genuinely cares for the team.

Also, the Richard/Camille storyline deserves a decent ending, I don't think he would leave now when they have come so far...

You see this is what I think makes it worse. He came back - they didn't think he was going to but he did. Deep down he does really like the place, and he is working with a good team.

The writers spent the whole series expanding on the Richard/Camille thing... and to be honest I dont think we are going to get any more on it.

I really really really would love to see a third and final series as is at the minute... and then either dont do any more, or wait a couple of years then introduce someone new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alas I dont think the writers nor the BBC will be reading this.

I don't suppose for one nano-second that they would be - but it will be interesting to see what the reaction is on the FB and Twitter feeds,,,
    I hope they kill Richard off personally as anything less would be an insult to all the previous episodes, and the friendships and loyalties built up between the team.

So sad as it seems, unless Ben wants to make guest appearances (which I don't think would work), the only way to end Richard's role is to kill him off.:cry:

Agree - I think as a plot device, it is the only thing that could remotely work.
    You see this is what I think makes it worse. He came back - they didn't think he was going to but he did. Deep down he does really like the place, and he is working with a good team.

The writers spent the whole series expanding on the Richard/Camille thing
    ... and to be honest I dont think we are going to get any more on it.

I really really really would love to see a third and final series as is at the minute... and then either dont do any more, or wait a couple of years then introduce someone new.

BIB - yes indeed. And as a fan (rather than a writer) that's what makes it the news a little disappointing (to say the least).
    A lot of good work went into those last few episodes...
    I suppose, if Lilly hadn't murdered Charlie, they might have explored more of the "passed over" aspect - but as she was a uniformed officer, that would have been less believable than Camille who is a decorated detective sergeant... so there is some material that presents itself immediately.

But in an 8-part series, with the length of Miller's appearances and departure heavily under wraps, even at best we'd get maybe half a series leading up to his leaving, and the other half establish the likely passed-over-for-promotion/not-our-chief type story lines, and then if it went to a fourth series, fleshing out more of the new character.

I suspect Wench may be right, and Miller will leave in the first quarter of the show, but in two episodes. they would need to be very character-centric, with scant time played out over who is murderer-of-the-week.
    Unless of course, murderer-of-the-week (MOTW?) is the one who does in Poole.

The presser says that Marshall is out in Guadaloupe for the 6 month shoot, so that lends more credence to Wench's concerns... why have him out there so long if he's not coming in quite early?

The writers obviously feel that Marshall has at least two series in him, so the remainder of the third will have to build up his character in the same way that the first series started to establish them, and any subsquent series expanding on his character development, and that of the series regulars!
    Hahah - maybe he will be a new toy-boy love interest for Catherine!
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    I never watched series 1 but loved series 2 - for me it is not so much Ben Miller (although he is marvellous) - the programme is about the disparity between him and the island. You cannot bring a new character in with the same attitude, it won't work.
    So for me the whole premise of the show dies when the Ben Miller character is not in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already posted on the DiP twitter feed... no response as yet.

If Poole was in it for the rest of the third series, leaving at the end, it could possibly be well done, building up to it over the eight episodes. I wouldn't even mind them bringing in the new character at the start of the series, at least then we would have chance to get used to him before Richard leaves...

However in reality we know this is not going to happen, and whatever we want to see will just not be there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've already posted on the DiP twitter feed... no response as yet.

If Poole was in it for the rest of the third series, leaving at the end, it could possibly be well done, building up to it over the eight episodes. I wouldn't even mind them bringing in the new character at the start of the series, at least then we would have chance to get used to him before Richard leaves...

However in reality we know this is not going to happen, and whatever we want to see will just not be there!

Grrr Tweetdeck is sooo irritating when I have two accounts - it kept following it on my Sports Site Twitter account... not mine! So irritating! And it's only started doing that since I had to add a third when I was away this weekend covering the tennis ... may have to resort to old fashioned web twitter to follow it!
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only watched a couple of eps of DiP, but I feel for anyone who has invested in the show - what a real kick in the face. :(
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can actually understand this. The lead detective character at the moment is quite narrow and I'm not sure what else you can do with him. I think the fact the actor wants to leave is a great opportunity to continue the show with a new detective which they can do more with.

Don't get me wrong - I do like the current lead but they have made him out to be so anal and so desperate to get back to blighty that any real love story or longevity on the island would make no sense.

Having a new lead who they can do more with should give scope for great new stories. We can look forward to the development of the new character and his relationships and I hope he is a good enough actor to carry it off. I thought he was funny in My Family and after seeing him play a few different roles I think he might do a good job.

I would much rather this happen than no more series cos they can't do any more with the current lead role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    I can actually understand this. The lead detective character at the moment is quite narrow and I'm not sure what else you can do with him. I think the fact the actor wants to leave is a great opportunity to continue the show with a new detective which they can do more with.

Don't get me wrong - I do like the current lead but they have made him out to be so anal and so desperate to get back to blighty that any real love story or longevity on the island would make no sense.

Agree and disagree with you.

Disagree with first part... they have been subtly developing Richard's character over the past two series... after all he returned to Saint Marie at the end of series two... he does like the place after all. Anyone is bound to get a bit home sick when they are half the world away. He has previously wanted to go back to London as he felt he "belonged" there... sat in his pub, in the corner, on his own. He is now starting to "belong" on Saint Marie... he has friends, and colleuges that respect him. He didn't get that in London.

Agree in the fact that bringing a new detective in will enable the show to go off at a different tangent.