Madonna tops Billboard's music Money Makers list 2013

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a461390/madonna-tops-billboards-music-money-makers-list-2013.html

Madonna has been named the highest-paid musician of the past 12 months by Billboard.

The singer tops the list after releasing her 12th studio album MDNA and embarking on a subsequent world tour.

The worldwide string of shows grossed $305 million and earned Madonna an estimated $32m. Adding sales of her latest album, the star earned a total of $34.5m over the past year.

1. Madonna ($34.5m)
2. Bruce Springsteen ($33.4m)
3. Roger Waters ($21.1)
4. Van Halen ($20.1m)
5. Kenny Chesney ($19.1)
6. Dave Matthews Band ($18.9m)
7. Tim McGraw ($18.3m)
8. Jason Aldean ($17.5m)
9. Coldplay ($17.3m)
10. Justin Bieber ($15.9m)

It should be noted that Billboard's figure is for music earnings only (records new or catalog, physical or digital; music publishing; & tours), and only in the US market, thus excluding earnings abroad. Earnings from sponsorships (like M's Smirnoff deal, etc.), tour merchandising (which M is said to have earned big as most of it goes directly to her), live DVDs, residuals from TV/movie appearances, businesses (like Vita Coco, Hard Candy gyms, her hit Material girl line, her Truth or Dare lines of shoes, undergarments, perfume), proceeds/dividends from investments (like Treasury or corporate bonds and stocks) and of course, all her non-US shows are NOT included, thus she only earned $32M or so on this list.

Of course, I do still think the figure is rather conservative. But we all know that lists like this (esp. that of forbes') are UNRELIABLE anyway as Madonna is notoriously secretive about her real income or wealth, and puts everyone under her employ under a gag order.

I bet that the forbes' figure of $110M earnings for Madonna in 2008-2009 was waay off-mark and the actual figure could be so much higher. I believe somebody asked her about her wealth and gave a figure, she jokingly (and tellingly) asked, "Is that all??"

Anyway, it's absolutely breathtaking that the "flash in the pan" "post-disco pop tart" with a "helium" voice (whom the media still hate and try to put down) is still so DOMINANT commercially, artistically, and culturally after all these years.

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    I wonder how Billboard can know those figures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I'm interested to know what Lady Gaga's fans think...especially when their idol isn't even on in the top 40 and toured longer than Madonna did. :D
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested to know what Lady Gaga's fans think...especially when their idol isn't even on in the top 40 and toured longer than Madonna did. :D

Not a 'little monster' or even gaga fan, but someone on the news piece said she only started touring in the US this january, not sure how true that is but it would make sense.
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Not a 'little monster' or even gaga fan, but someone on the news piece said she only started touring in the US this january, not sure how true that is but it would make sense.

Actually, I think you're right....but even if Lady Gagas US tour grosses were to be accounted, she still wouldn't be on the list as she & LN had to pay for the losses due to poor ticket sales and massive ticket giveaways.
    ...and Madonna's tour had 88 dates and only 40 or so shows were in N. America...so if Madonna's grosses OUTSIDE the US were actually to be accounted for, she would still be ahead of Gaga by a country mile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think you're right....but even if Lady Gagas US tour grosses were to be accounted, she still wouldn't be on the list as she & LN had to pay for the losses due to poor ticket sales and massive ticket giveaways.
    ...and Madonna's tour had 88 dates and only 40 or so shows were in N. America...so if Madonna's grosses OUTSIDE the US were actually to be accounted for, she would still be ahead of Gaga by a country mile.

Well I was actually talking about Lady Gaga missing the top 40, why are you insistant on turning this into a war between Gaga vs Madonna? :S
    Forum Member
    Even so, I just dont buy the usual excuse of "Lady Gaga didn't release any new music or tour America in 2012".

Look at Adele. The only thing she released was the "Skyfall" single (and she didn't even bother to shoot a music video for it!). Nevertheless, she ranked at #11 on the Billboard list, pocketing $14 million. Adele has practically been living the life of a hermit outside the spotlight for well over a year now and yet the public keeps buying her music.

The no music/touring excuse is just utter rubbish...and they know it.
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does every Madonna thread turn into a Gaga debate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even so, I just dont buy the usual excuse of "Lady Gaga didn't release any new music or tour America in 2012".

Look at Adele. The only thing she released was the "Skyfall" single (and she didn't even bother to shoot a music video for it!). Nevertheless, she ranked at #11 on the Billboard list, pocketing $14 million. Adele has practically been living the life of a hermit outside the spotlight for well over a year now and yet the public keeps buying her music.

"21" is still in the top twenty on most music charts (and she's likely to get another boost in sales after the Oscar ceremony). Gaga's fans really shouldn't bother with the no music/touring excuse. That's utter rubbish.

So all top females that didn't tour or release music last year should be in the top 40? lol, is there even enough room? I think it's exceptional for an artist to reach the top 40 if they didn't have any music/tour no? I don't actually even get the point your making other than to rag on gaga, it's childish and immature. That's coming from a Madonna fan.
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    So all top females that didn't tour or release music last year should be in the top 40? lol, is there even enough room? I think it's exceptional for an artist to reach the top 40 if they didn't have any music/tour no? I don't actually even get the point your making other than to rag on gaga, it's childish and immature. That's coming from a Madonna fan.

You call that "ragging"? LOL

I'm just merely providing you with answers to the comments you posted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Why is Gaga even being mentioned here? Shes not relevant for the big comparisons anymore, let it go.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It explains perfectly well in the article why Adele is #11.
    Elsewhere, Adele is in 11th place after selling a further 4m copies of her 2011 album 21 last year in the US, bringing her earnings up to $13.9m.
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Adele is in 11th place after selling a further 4m copies of her 2011 album 21 last year in the US, bringing her earnings up to $13.9m.

"21" is an album that was released the very same year as Gagas..infact it's a few months older.
    If Gaga was an exceptional artist like her fans say she is then why didn't she sell more than she did....why isn't she on the list?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this just America based?

Because if it isn't all I can think of about Gaga is even before America the tour must have suffered some huge losses if she isn't even in the top 40. It seems very odd for her to miss out like that. The tour by all accounts was massive and her fans were screaming about how she was going to break all records 12 months ago. If its created a net loss for Live Nation her next tour won't be as big or as long.

Forbes should be interesting. Gaga really should top that because of her perfume but Taylor Swift I imagine will give her a massive run for money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member

Exactly. Gaga didn't release any new music nor did she tour in the US in 2012. The only thing that she did do was release her perfume, but they haven't released the official figures (even though it has done very well...) so Billboard can't really make an estimation, as that is what this list is. They haven't rung up every person in the music business asking for an exact low-down of what they've earned. It's educated guessing at best.
    Anyway, congratulations to Madonna for making up for the disappointing sales of her music with the tour. Pretty sure it won't be the last addition of hers to the top 10 highest grossing tours ever either!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Is this just America based?

Because if it isn't all I can think of about Gaga is even before America the tour must have suffered some huge losses if she isn't even in the top 40. It seems very odd for her to miss out like that. The tour by all accounts was massive and her fans were screaming about how she was going to break all records 12 months ago. If its created a net loss for Live Nation her next tour won't be as big.

Yes, that's why there's so many country artists on the list. If it was global, you'd have many artists you've never heard of, particularly Asian.

The tour was massive- you've just got to ignore the petty, obsessive ramblings from a certain section of a certain fanbase.
    Forum Member
    The only thing that she did do was release her perfume, but they haven't released the official figures (even though it has done very well

It speaks volumes when Gag fans have went from saying she's the best thing in music to bragging about how many bottles of perfume she's apparently sold. I suppose it's the only thing you have to cling to really since Madonna walked away with the biggest money raking tour of 2012.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Bruce so high on the list that was a pleasant surprise, I'd read the tour hadn't done that well in America clearly that was wrong.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that's why there's so many country artists on the list. If it was global, you'd have many artists you've never heard of, particularly Asian.

The tour was massive- you've just got to ignore the petty, obsessive ramblings from a certain section of a certain fanbase.

The tour was no where near as massive as Gaga fans wanted or even claimed it would be. I could bring up many threads on here from last Spring.

I like the dig at Madonna fans despite the fact it is one person in the thread. Lady Gaga fans are hardly the shinning light of joy. Their hate '' by a certain section of fans' on Adele winning an Oscar is all over Twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "21" is an album that was released the very same year as Gagas..infact it's a few months older.
    If Gaga was an exceptional artist like her fans say she is then why didn't she sell more than she did....why isn't she on the list?

It's not hard to understand. Adele had a phenomenally cosmic-sized gigantic album that rarely happens, Gaga didn't.

Why single Gaga out? Where's Katy Perry? Where's Beyonce? Where's Rihanna? Not there you say? But why ever could that be? Oh yes because none other than Rihanna released an album or toured the US last year (and that includes Rihanna) I reply.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread has nothing to do with Gaga so I am unsure why the gaga bashing has begun. I can't even see why it was brought up.
    As a huge Madonna fan who has attended every tour with exception of The Virgin Tour as it was US only. It was obvious she would headline both tour takings and earnings as after a 30 year career she is able to charge premium pricing. Whilst not a Gaga fan at all you cannot compare the concert takings at all. Gaga fans generally are a lot younger 30 odd years younger so no way could they match ticket prices as parents would not pay it. Madonna fans are generally middle aged and up and majority work and have had careers for the past 20 years so obviously they can demand higher pricing. Just remember Madonna s second world tour The Blonde Ambition and look at the pricing then so on comparison taking on interest I think Gaga has done phenomenal with her Tour as well.
    The higher they climb the harder they fall and Madonna has had her fair share of that over the last year with negative publicity and diminishing record sales. Whilst her Tours go from strength to strength you cannot deny the change in sales is not due to lack of fans as people get older priorities change.
    Let the Gaga fans have there youth and icon.
    Forum Member
    It's not hard to understand. Adele had a phenomenally cosmic-sized gigantic album that rarely happens, Gaga didn't.

Why single Gaga out? Where's Katy Perry? Where's Beyonce? Where's Rihanna? Not there you say? But why ever could that be? Oh yes because none other than Rihanna released an album or toured the US last year (and that includes Rihanna) I reply.

The difference IS none of the other artists have claimed to be bigger than what they actually are or bragged (or in Gaga's case) LIED about selling out concerts and they haven't hailed their album as "The greatest album of the decade.

....and none of them has ever tried to re-write history by claiming to do things in music that nobody else has.

THAT is why I am singling Gaga out. It's really THAT simple...even for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference IS none of the other artists have claimed to be bigger than what they actually are or bragged (or in Gaga's case) LIED about selling out concerts. They haven't hailed their album as "The greatest album of the decade".

None of them have been passive/aggresive towards Madonna....and none of them has ever tried to re-write history by claiming to do things in music that nobody else has.

Well seeing as I'm not the one who can't seem to get it into their head why Gaga might not be on the list of Biggest 2012 USA Earners, I don't think it's my comprehension that needs to be questioned.

But just so we're sure: NO ALBUM + NO SINGLES + NO 2012 US TOUR DATES and with perfume sales not being allowed or counted (which you clearly state in your OP) = Gaga no makey lots of US money last year.
    Forum Member
    Well seeing as I'm not the one who can't seem to get it into their head why Gaga might not be on the list of Biggest 2012 USA Earners, I don't think it's my comprehension that needs to be questioned.

But just so we're sure: NO ALBUM + NO SINGLES + NO 2012 US TOUR DATES and with perfume sales not being allowed or counted (which you clearly state in your OP) = Gaga no makey lots of US money.

....Oh dear...for the benefit of the slow ones (like yourself)....The point i'm making is Gaga hyped her album as the G.R.E.A.T.E.S.T A.L.B.U.M O.F T.H.E D.E.C.A.D.E.
    ...Adele is on the list and she released her album around the same time...If Gaga was as great as she herself and you idiots claim her to be, then surely she would be on the list too?
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started reading this with interest but dragging Gaga in is so predictable and boring. Yawn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    ....Oh dear...for the benefit of the slow ones (like yourself)....The point i'm making is Gaga hyped her album as the G.R.E.A.T.E.S.T A.L.B.U.M O.F T.H.E D.E.C.A.D.E.
    ...Adele is on the list and she released her album around the same time...If Gaga was as great as she herself and you idiots claim her to be, then surely she would be on the list too?
    The difference IS none of the other artists have claimed to be bigger than what they actually are or bragged (or in Gaga's case) LIED about selling out concerts and they haven't hailed their album as "The greatest album of the decade.

....and none of them has ever tried to re-write history by claiming to do things in music that nobody else has.

It speaks volumes when Gag fans have went from saying she's the best thing in music to bragging about how many bottles of perfume she's apparently sold. I suppose it's the only thing you have to cling to really since Madonna walked away with the biggest money raking tour of 2012.

What is wrong with you? You're intent on antagonizing Gaga fans, aren't you? :rolleyes:

So Gaga didn't make the Top 40 on the Money Makers List. Big ****ing deal. The only person on this thread who cares, or even bothers to bring Gaga into this, is you.

You come across as a rude and rather bitter person.

And I speak as a fan of both Madonna and Gaga.

Congratulations Madonna, long may her success and her days of making good music for her fans continue. :)