Options

Taking Shoes Off When Entering A Home

Comments

• Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youv'e all heard about Health and Safety Legislation , I believe that most trades should wear Shoes or Boots with Toe Protectors in them, so they would not be covered by accident insurance it they removed their shoes at MRS Jones/Smith request.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Youv'e all heard about Health and Safety Legislation , I believe that most trades should wear Shoes or Boots with Toe Protectors in them, so they would not be covered by accident insurance it they removed their shoes at MRS Jones/Smith request.

That is true. My husband has sole covers that he puts over his boots when going in someones house.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    fifilapew wrote: »
    It does seem to be a little bit down to personal issues. For me, having a cat bottom on my carpet would offend me more than shoes. Also do the cats not go outside at all? Do they wear little booties to be removed when coming back in?
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I also found this amusing. Stressing about 'outside dirt' but perfectly happy for a cat to sit on the carpet, on the arsehole it's just shat out of!

You both missed the bit where I said about the cat being trodden on in shoes and it does happen because she likes people's feet(she has a strange fetish for feet and shoes) and has a habit of getting under people's feet. Do either of you have cats because if not the yelp when they get trodden on is awful and is twice as bad if the person is in shoes or heavy boots which could do serious damage.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    You both missed the bit where I said about the cat being trodden on in shoes and it does happen because she likes people's feet(she has a strange fetish for feet and shoes) and has a habit of getting under people's feet. Do either of you have cats because if not the yelp when they get trodden on is awful and is twice as bad if the person is in shoes or heavy boots which could do serious damage.

I can see your point if it's solely to do with hurting the cat, of course you wouldn't want to do that.
    I was addressing the irony of the first part of the post.
  • Options
    NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok so how do you shoes off people deal with the fact that some people may have good reason for keeping shoes on, as stated previously I have been advised to not walk around barefoot as a cut injury could lead to serious problems. if I had to go to someone's house who expected me to take my shoes off and the didn't know my situation I would have to explain and would feel like I'm apologising for being born with type 1 diabetes, I would rather just not enter. I don't understand how it cannot be seen as rude. it's not common in my social circles, thank goodness. personally, if you can 't afford to get your carpets regularly cleaned and buy a decent dyson don't get them.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    People who wear their outdoor shoes indoors tend live in dirty, squalid houses with no care for its appearance or the hygiene of the occupants or visitors.

Au contraire - exposing yourself and your family to dirt builds up your immunity and healing powers.
    The rabid desire to have a 'sterile' environment (not possible unless you live in a bubble) is partly responsible for children today having more allergies, eczema and asthma than any other generation.

Those people with uber clean homes are doing themselves and family's no favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't ask adults to take their shoes off in my house but always try to ask their children (especially if it has been raining) and hope the adults take note.

We have laminate floor downstairs, but beige carpet on the stairs and upstairs.

I ALWAYS take my shoes off in other people's houses.

Even if the person says not to bother taking my shoes off when I go to do it I still take them off.

You always would? So if you went to, say a house party, and everyone is there having a drink, bit of music etc, you'd be there in your little socks while everyone else in their shoes?

We had a barbecue a few weeks ago, in which most guests had to be in and out of the house quite a bit due to some of the food being indoors and some of it outdoors. There was a lot of to-and-fro. Would you be there, shoes on, shoes off, shoes on, shoes off?

And frankly if I'd asked someone not to bother taking their shoes off, and they proceeded to do so, I'd think it a bit peculiar, nearly as if they were passing judgement on me wearing my shoes in my own house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People who wear their outdoor shoes indoors tend live in dirty, squalid houses with no care for its appearance or the hygiene of the occupants or visitors.

What nonsense. My house is orderly and not in the least squalid.
    I have two doormats for wiping shoes, and I always check the soles of my shoes before coming in. I also hoover the lived-in areas of the house about twice or three times a week.

In my experience people who remove their shoes and require others to do the same are either:
    a) prissy and fixated on 'hygiene'
    b) poorer or middle-wage earners who don't want any risk of dirt or wear-and-tear to their new carpet.

I don't really mind the latter, as they have perhaps worked hard for the carpet and see it as something precious.
    But as someone said above, it really picks you out as coming from a certain background. Can you imagine a bunch of upper class aristos taking their shoes off before going into each others houses? and they probably have carpets and rugs worth a small fortune!
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen appalling rudeness on this front. My parents live in the deep countryside, and outdoor shoes and indoor shoes are entirely separate. They're the first house that walkers see on their way down the valley, so they get a few knocks on the door of peope who are lost, need to top up their drinks bottles etc (my parents often lay out chilled water in an ice box outside during summer to save answering the door).

One time, a party knocked on the door needing the loo. My mum said fine, but you'll need to take your boots off, we've got new carpets. The woman's boots were filthy with mud and worse and she kicked up a MASSIVE fuss! As if she had a right to impose conditions on someone doing her a favour.

And Natgar - I'm sorry you feel like that, but is it really fair of you to adopt a policy of basically 'I'm not taking them off and I don't want to explain why, you should get your carpets cleaned you pauper'?

And Welsh-lad, I have to disagree with you there. I've known a few aristos myself, and they have boot rooms, where you take your hunting gear etc off before you come in. The majority of 'old breed' aristos are wealthy in some ways, but act as poor as church mice in others - the ones we knew (whose children went to Eton etc) used plastic bags inside their hunter wellies to keep water out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'contamination' :eek::rolleyes:

Good god. Who's died from their carpet?

My parents no shoes rule only became hard and fast after I caught campylobacter from people traipsing in and out in wet weather in shoes.

The first thing the Doctor asked was, 'Do you wear shoes inside and outside?'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Natgar wrote: »
    ok so how do you shoes off people deal with the fact that some people may have good reason for keeping shoes on, as stated previously I have been advised to not walk around barefoot as a cut injury could lead to serious problems. if I had to go to someone's house who expected me to take my shoes off and the didn't know my situation I would have to explain and would feel like I'm apologising for being born with type 1 diabetes, I would rather just not enter. I don't understand how it cannot be seen as rude. it's not common in my social circles, thank goodness. personally, if you can 't afford to get your carpets regularly cleaned and buy a decent dyson don't get them.

If you go to someone who knows you then they know the reasons. Also how is walking around in bare feet going to cause you to cut your feet. I don't know anyone who has glass or other objects that could cut someone lying about especially if they don't wear shoes indoors themselves.

I can afford to clean my carpets and dysons are crap.
    My parents no shoes rule only became hard and fast after I caught campylobacter from people traipsing in and out in wet weather in shoes.

Our no shoe rule came in when we had some guy come round and demonstrate a fancy hoover and showed how much dirt was on the carpet, that and the Army would fine you if the house wasn't spotless when you moved out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    Our no shoe rule came in when we had some guy come round and demonstrate a fancy hoover and showed how much dirt was on the carpet, that and the Army would fine you if the house wasn't spotless when you moved out.

My mum has that hoover - is it a kirby?
    I love using it :D
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Au contraire - exposing yourself and your family to dirt builds up your immunity and healing powers.
    The rabid desire to have a 'sterile' environment (not possible unless you live in a bubble) is partly responsible for children today having more allergies, eczema and asthma than any other generation.

Those people with uber clean homes are doing themselves and family's no favours.

Eating your own bogies boosts your immune system as does sticking your head in a bag of pig sh!t but you wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hmmm, I can understand the doctor asking a series of questions re the cause, but to pin it down on carpets and shoes seems a bit selective.
    It's found in all sorts e.g:
    In January 2013, the UK's Food Standards Agency warned that two-thirds of all raw chicken bought from UK shops was contaminated with campylobacter, affecting an estimated half a million people annually and killing approximately 100

So it might have been something like that unless you were licking the doormat or something?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I have two doormats for wiping shoes, and I always check the soles of my shoes before coming in. I also hoover the lived-in areas of the house about twice or three times a week.

In my experience people who remove their shoes and require others to do the same are either:
    b) poorer or middle-wage earners who don't want any risk of dirt or wear-and-tear to their new carpet.

I don't really mind the latter, as they have perhaps worked hard for the carpet and see it as something precious.
    But as someone said above, it really picks you out as coming from a certain background. Can you imagine a bunch of upper class aristos taking their shoes off before going into each others houses? and they probably have carpets and rugs worth a small fortune!

From this thread it seems people who where outdoor shoes indoors fall into 3 camps.

1. Wearing outdoor shoes indoors is not dirty (wrong)
    2. Those who find it acceptable to live in filth (whatever floats your boat)
    3. If you don't wear outdoor shoes indoors you must have a mental health condition. I love this one, you must be a nutter to want to be clean. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From this thread it seems people who where outdoor shoes indoors fall into 3 camps.

1. Wearing outdoor shoes indoors is not dirty (wrong)
    2. Those who find it acceptable to live in filth (whatever floats your boat)
    3. If you don't wear outdoor shoes indoors you must have a mental health condition. I love this one, you must be a nutter to want to be clean. :D

Re point 3, to be obsessive about cleanliness to the point you are paranoid about shoe-wearing indicates some kind of condition imv. Not a 'nutter' as that's unkind, but certainly some sort of obsessive disorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member

My parents aren't poor and are very upper middle class (think the Middleton's) but hate people wearing shoes indoors, shoes are dirty and for outdoors. In my experience seeing as you have brought class into it, it is the working class that tend to walk around in outdoor shoes indoors, the rest take them off and leave them in the porch or in the kitchen/utility/boot room.

Class actually has nothing to do with taking your shoes off. Middle and Upper classes are known to be quite thrifty, no heating until you see your breath and are wearing two jumpers, shoes off so the carpet/rugs don't need cleaning as often.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re point 3, to be obsessive about cleanliness to the point you are paranoid about shoe-wearing indicates some kind of condition imv. Not a 'nutter' as that's unkind, but certainly some sort of obsessive disorder.
    Agreed. We live on a benign island with little or nothing that's going to hurt us. Assuming the parties involved are healthy human beings there is no sane or rational reason to be scared about the 'dirty outside'. You can go outside naked. Run around. Roll around. Cover yourself in muck and filth and it will do you no harm whatsoever. In fact as one poster has already suggested it may do you a lot of good by exercising your immune system.

Now yes, no one wants mud traipsing in because it looks unsightly and can be a pain to clean but a door mat will take care of the kind of mud that most people pick up in their daily lives walking around the street. From personal experience as an avid countryside walker I can say it will pick up most of the mud you get from a footpath as long as it's a dry foot path. For serious mud you remove your shoes. But for most(*) of us most of the time a doormat should be fine.

My main reason for wearing Birkenstock sandals is to reduce wear and tear on the carpet and to give my feet a change. It's just more comfortable to wear them than my normal trainers around the house or office.

(*)If you live and work on a farm it probably won't be but your average urban dweller who works in an office/shop/warehouse/factory it should be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I can understand the doctor asking a series of questions re the cause, but to pin it down on carpets and shoes seems a bit selective.
    It's found in all sorts e.g:

So it might have been something like that unless you were licking the doormat or something?

Well, it was a very specific problem to our area, I admit - it's in the Lakes, with a large number of farms which had had the problem with little kids. There was a spike in similar cases because there are been a lot of rain recently, so all the kids were indoors, and people were more likely to be tramping outdoor mud inside if they didn't remove or swap shoes at the door.

In general, we were all pretty robust kids who were allowed to play in the dirt - I had a penchant for eating earthworms, and my sister had to be reigned in from eating sheep pellets!
    I was two at the time, so I was at the 'try things out by sticking them in my mouth' stage :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Methinks you and your doctor need to go back to school as regards how and where you pick up campylobacter. It is most certainly not from shoes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eating your own bogies boosts your immune system as does sticking your head in a bag of pig sh!t but you wouldn't do that.

Have done and would do:D

Not bothered about dirt or bugs in the slightest as I take all REASONABLE precautions.

I also never get ill
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I'd always follow the householder's lead regarding shoes on or off. It only takes a few seconds to remove my shoes or put them back on, so it's no big deal.

We don't really get any visitors, so it isn't an issue. I just take my shoes off as soon as I come in the door for comfort rather than carpet preservation/hygiene. We are at the top of a four-storey tenement stair, so the soles of shoes are pretty dry and clean by the time you walk up the stairs.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always take my shoes off when I go to someone's house, and I expect others to do the same for me.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natgar wrote: »

I'm a shoes off person, though I'd never ask a guest. I used to flout this shoes at all times advice (which is more of a directive when you're diabetic) until I stubbed my toe last year and lost a toe nail. Monumentally stupid of me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, it was a very specific problem to our area, I admit - it's in the Lakes, with a large number of farms which had had the problem with little kids. There was a spike in similar cases because there are been a lot of rain recently, so all the kids were indoors, and people were more likely to be tramping outdoor mud inside if they didn't remove or swap shoes at the door.

In general, we were all pretty robust kids who were allowed to play in the dirt - I had a penchant for eating earthworms, and my sister had to be reigned in from eating sheep pellets!
    I was two at the time, so I was at the 'try things out by sticking them in my mouth' stage :D

Ah I see - that explains a lot, thanks for explaining. I'm a farm lad too and of course you must be a little more attentive in a context like that not least because wellies always get heavily soiled and are designed solely for outdoor use.