Options

bt upgrade e mail

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
Forum Member
go this email today from BT,anyone else get it and what did it mean to your speed? im currently on a massive 1.4mb live in the north mcr area....

If you can't read this email properly, please click here

We’re upgrading our network
Hello,
Good news. We’re rolling out our faster broadband and we’ll be upgrading our network in your area on 12-Oct-10. This’ll make the things you do online quicker.
On the day of your upgrade
• We should be done by 6pm – but it could be later in the evening.
• During the upgrade, you’ll lose your broadband and phone connections for up to ten minutes. Unless you’re at home and online when we do the work, you probably won’t notice the downtime and your broadband and phone should start again automatically.
• If you’re working online on the day of your upgrade, please remember to back up your data regularly. And you might like to keep a mobile phone handy for urgent or emergency calls.
After your upgrade
Your broadband and phone should start again automatically. But if you can’t get online, restart your BT Home Hub or router by pressing the restart or on/off button.
Your line needs time to settle down
For the first ten days or so after your upgrade, your broadband might slow down or even stop now and again. That's normal and your speed will soon settle down. You can help it along by leaving your BT Home Hub on all the time and using your broadband as much as you can for this period.
How to fix error messages on BT Vision
If you’re watching an on demand programme during the upgrade, you’ll see an on-screen error message (V04). Then, everything should restart automatically. Any recordings you’ve already saved or scheduled will still be there. If you do get an error message after the upgrade, restart your BT Vision box by holding down the power button for about six seconds.
If other things connected to your phone or broadband line are playing up after the upgrade, you might need to restart them too.
Find out more about the good news at www.bt.com/networkupgrade. If you need to get in touch, you can also contact us from here too. We’re here to help.
We’ll email you when the upgrade’s done.
Thanks for choosing BT.
Best wishes,
Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    They are upgrading your exchange from ADSL to ADSL2+.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh wow whoope do,and theres me thinkin i might get 2mb ?? oh well back to buffering for me
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oscar12 wrote: »
    oh wow whoope do,and theres me thinkin i might get 2mb ?? oh well back to buffering for me

Oh you poor sole, if you live a fair distance from the exchange you may get a worse speed. when Bt downgraded our exchange, my speed went from 3Megabits down to below 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah but its not being downgraded though is it? surely the opposite if it helps my stats sau im a 63Db atteunation and live 2.68km straight line from the exchange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    below are my stats if anyone can tell me what they mean and if this upgrade whatever it is , is going to improve anything..

Line state Connected
    Connection time 5 days, 7:42:29
    Downstream 1,408 Kbps
    Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
    VPI/VCI 0/38
    Type PPPoA
    Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
    Latency type Fast
    Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.5 dB / 15.0 dB
    Line attenuation (Down/Up) 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
    Output power (Down/Up) 16.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
    Loss of Framing (Local) 0
    Loss of Signal (Local) 0
    Loss of Power (Local) 0
    FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
    CRC Errors (Down/Up) 27594 / 2147480000
    HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 126
    Error Seconds (Local) 25232
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah but its not being downgraded though is it? surely the opposite if it helps my stats sau im a 63Db atteunation and live 2.68km straight line from the exchange

It is suppose to be a upgrade, but sadly if you got a long line or a high attenuation then you will find you get lower sync speed than you did before.

Your attention is pretty high, a fair bit higher than mine and I had problems. The strange thing was I went from Bt so called version of ADSL2+ to cable and Wireless version and got better speed and reliability, sync speed that is.

I am pretty sure it is the rubbish profiling that Bt uses that causes the problems.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    below are my stats if anyone can tell me what they mean and if this upgrade whatever it is , is going to improve anything..

Line state Connected
    Connection time 5 days, 7:42:29
    Downstream 1,408 Kbps
    Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
    VPI/VCI 0/38
    Type PPPoA
    Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
    Latency type Fast
    Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.5 dB / 15.0 dB
    Line attenuation (Down/Up) 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
    Output power (Down/Up) 16.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
    Loss of Framing (Local) 0
    Loss of Signal (Local) 0
    Loss of Power (Local) 0
    FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
    CRC Errors (Down/Up) 27594 / 2147480000
    HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 126
    Error Seconds (Local) 25232

No idea about the upgrade but you are in the same "it would go 25% faster if it synched 32kb faster" position as I am on when I get a weak connection.. The boundary for the line profile moving to 1250 is at 1440 as I understand it and you are probably getting 1Mb as you are just below 1440. It may be impossible to get to 1440 or you may find you get better or worse speed if you plug the hub back in at a different time of day or outside temperature.

Read somewhere that 63.5 isn't the actual attenuation - its 63.5 and anything above all reading as 63.5 - may be nonsense, but you may be further out than that suggests or not. that may make predicting what the upgrade will do more difficult.

there might be issues in there before and after the upgrade, The noise margin is high at nearly 15. That might be because that is where the line is really stable or it may be where its ended up after some problem thats gone away (like thunder or BT work) and stuck. There's a question if the noise margin target should be on 15 or there's some fault that can be corrected and another if it would work now at 12. Mine spent 8 months at 12 , then 8 at 15 and then decided it liked 12 again. Its perfectly stable at either 12 or 15 but the sync speed can go up by 30% into the 1800s and the line profile goes up to 1500 when it settles at 12 rather than 15.....
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the thread title i thought BT were upgrading their Email system......doh
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the thread title i thought BT were upgrading their Email system......doh
    Me too:o