Installing a new hard drive for a HP Laptop

KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never done this before but from the youtube videos I have watched it looks quite easy and I shouldn't have a problem.

I have been reading conflicting reports over HP laptops and new harddrives, so perhaps somebody who has done this before can help me?

I've been told that I would need to purchase a harddrive from the HP store.

I've been told by someone else that is nonsense and I can pick up a harddrive from anywhere as long as it is the same size or bigger in capacity. Which is true?

I assumed as long as you had the HP recovery disks for your machine then you could purchase a harddrive pretty much anywhere and install it on that?

Thanks guys and girls.

Comments

• station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    I've never done this before but from the youtube videos I have watched it looks quite easy and I shouldn't have a problem.

I have been reading conflicting reports over HP laptops and new harddrives, so perhaps somebody who has done this before can help me?

I've been told that I would need to purchase a harddrive from the HP store.

I've been told by someone else that is nonsense and I can pick up a harddrive from anywhere as long as it is the same size or bigger in capacity. Which is true?

I assumed as long as you had the HP recovery disks for your machine then you could purchase a harddrive pretty much anywhere and install it on that?

Thanks guys and girls.

You dont need a drive from the HP store, you can get one anywhere, all you need to know is it IDE or Sata.

The swap over is usally straight forward. It's under a cover unscrew that , the drive caddy unscrews pull that out swap new over on to the caddy and put back together, can take as little as 5 minutes
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers mate. Thanks very much.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDDs over 640GB are, or were, a few mm thicker, so the brackets or cover won't screw back on for some laptops.

So don't go buying a very large capacity without checking.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/25inch-500-640-750gb-hdd-roundup.html

Scroll down for thickness comments.
    (2 yrs old)
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Robin, I was actually planning on getting the same capacity as I have now anyway.