The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC Introducing platform should definitely be kept up - no doubt she performed and had a better and more contemporary song than previous entries from the UK in recent years. Next year they have to do 2 things though to improve:

1. Promote, promote, promote. Choose the artist and song in January so you have February and March to go to the national selection shows and get the song heard more, as well as radio stations, TV shows etc. Because we don't perform in the semis, they have to get the song out there more.
    2. Choose an artist who's used to performing at bigger venues. If they can keep them unknown but still with a big song, that'd be great. But Molly wrote more acoustic and less anthemic songs before Eurovision and played at more intimate venues, like the type of venues you'd perform at open mic nights. She was instantly thrown into the deep end and had a week to prepare in performing in an arena, bearing in mind her previous performances had just been for a couple of hundred of people - the biggest at Amsterdam. We need to find a performer who's more confident on stage, with a greater stage presence and can handle the arena and the bigger audience better.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The top 3 were all ballads too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC Introducing platform should definitely be kept up - no doubt she performed and had a better and more contemporary song than previous entries from the UK in recent years. Next year they have to do 2 things though to improve:

1. Promote, promote, promote. Choose the artist and song in January so you have February and March to go to the national selection shows and get the song heard more, as well as radio stations, TV shows etc. Because we don't perform in the semis, they have to get the song out there more.
    2. Choose an artist who's used to performing at bigger venues. If they can keep them unknown but still with a big song, that'd be great. But Molly wrote more acoustic and less anthemic songs before Eurovision and played at more intimate venues, like the type of venues you'd perform at open mic nights. She was instantly thrown into the deep end and had a week to prepare in performing in an arena, bearing in mind her previous performances had just been for a couple of hundred of people - the biggest at Amsterdam. We need to find a performer who's more confident on stage, with a greater stage presence and can handle the arena and the bigger audience better.

I can't see why the bbc would spend money on all the promoting though!
    How many pre selection shows did Austria, Netherlands and Sweden perform on? Zero?

The Netherlands was nowhere until it was performed in the semi.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    How many pre selection shows did Austria, Netherlands and Sweden perform on? Zero?

Austria did a lot of promotion. A lot. More than anyone else, actually. Conchita travelled all over Europe. and her campaign actually started in Ireland last November.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (sorry wrong thread)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I think, ultimately, the BBC can prepare as much as they like but the song has to capture the public's imagination.

I adore COTU and it'll be a song I play frequently for years to come, but in the end, Europe didn't take to it as much as they did Rise Like A Phoenix or Calm After The Storm (the Netherlands, by the way, have shown the world how you market an established artist in the competition- twice in a row they've pitched their star value appropriately)
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think last year's Georgia representative announcing the points for them with his belly popping out of his buttoned up jacket has to be one of the highlights of the Eurovision Song Contest 2014. Truly, well done whoever thought dressing him that was a good idea.

I remember the other day someone said about how disappointed they were that Emmille had clearly had work done on her face. I have to say I thought she looked just awful when they had that extreme close up of her face at the beginning of the interval. Really wish she'd just stayed natural.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Austria did a lot of promotion. A lot. More than anyone else, actually. Conchita travelled all over Europe. and her campaign actually started in Ireland last November.

Oh I didn't realise! Lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unfortunate shadow! Obviously it's not what it looks like... but still. unfortunate :p

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnWUd7eCAAAct-r.jpg
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    thought it was amusing that Conchita was given a bunch of white gladioli, (sp) Dame Edna's choice of florals made me smile a lot.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else find it really hard to take in the points last night?
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Very unfortunate shadow! Obviously it's not what it looks like... but still. unfortunate :p

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnWUd7eCAAAct-r.jpg

bwhahahahahahhahahaha excellent . *wipes eyes wet with laughter*:D:D
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of those nations had semi final exposure, though. If you look at our strongest recent results I think I'm right in saying that both Jade and Blue toured with the song and the latter was a relatively popular 'current' act.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    It sounds as if you need to watch television, then you would have seen the blanket coverage Molly has had including appearances on Graham Norton and The One Show,

It isn't "disgusting" to criticise. The girl sang very badly, possibly she isn't capable of live performance or she let nerves get to her and failed badly. It's a reasonable criticism as she was off note and lacked any projection in her performance. She was fortunate that a couple of unexpected votes pushed her up a clump of acts to get a 17th as it deserved a lower result.

What watch TV 24/7:confused: Whilst it is not disgusting to criticise, it is a bit off to be rude about someone representing the UK. The point I am making is that the girl has some guts to represent the UK. I wouldn't, knowing that I would get no support. All the same you are entitled to your opinion and I respect you for it. I get annoyed when people make it personal and start being rude about posters. I get it when people don't like a contestant.
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2009 with Jade, we did a LOT of promo and we did well. 2011 we did some promo with Blue and we came 5th in televoting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conchita's first post since winning:

i'm home
    i don't know what to say....
    THANK YOU!!!!!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10337749_867381996610297_2399667550173831044_n.jpg
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless Molly manages to salvage a Radio 1 hit within the next six months I really can't see anyone on BBC Introducing wanting to risk Eurovision no matter how desperate they are to break into the industry. The fear of being upstaged by an act seen by the xenophobic British press morons as being "a novelty", "a circus act" or "typical Eurovision" will just put them off unless Molly can prove that Eurovision can be a career springboard despite a low placing. In the next six months. Big ask.

I do wonder though if Scott Mills might do a Woganflounce following Molly's result, he did seem to be very much in the Molly camp and seemed genuinely to be supporting her whereas in the past he seems to have been doing his "corporate duty" supporting Englebert and Bonnie. Hopefully he'll take it to heart and do a hissy. We can but hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, no one has gone on to long term success in this country after eurovision since....abba? Celine dion?
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless Molly manages to salvage a Radio 1 hit within the next six months I really can't see anyone on BBC Introducing wanting to risk Eurovision no matter how desperate they are to break into the industry.

I'm not so sure about that. Molly was working on minimum wage at Topshop when she was chosen to represent us. Given how extraordinarily difficult the music industry is to get into and how little money there is to be made anyway I think a lot of people would still be interested if they were approached.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, no one has gone on to long term success in this country after eurovision since....abba? Celine dion?

I didnt know that Molloy intended to use Eurovision to kick start her music career. Only heard about it this morning. So IMO she was a bit misguided if she thought she could use Eurovision to kick start her career. But still I supported her because I genuinely liked her and the song. Perhaps she needed more work on her presentation.
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loreen got Radio 1 airplay, apparently. And let's not forget Lena got airplay on an ITV trailer for their dreary entertainment shows...

The point is I bet Molly was persuaded to do Eurovision as a springboard for her career, so unless it delivers, that will undermine the process with any new acts asked to represent us, and as no existing big names will want to do it as they don't need to (like Adele and whoever Alexandra Burke is) we'll be back to the "Reborn in the ESC" God's waiting room of ex-stars.

Steve Strange or Boy George for Vienna 2015 anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. Molly was working on minimum wage at Topshop when she was chosen to represent us. Given how extraordinarily difficult the music industry is to get into and how little money there is to be made anyway I think a lot of people would still be interested if they were approached.

If someone is confident enough in their own abilities, then I can see them going for it.

How else would molly get a song in 15 counties iTunes Charts and exposure. Will she be a future star? I doubt it tbh...but she will be better known now than before
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conchita's speech sends shivers down my spine

"We are a unity and we are unstoppable *Thrusts the trophy into the air like a diva*".

Amazing.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conchita's speech sends shivers down my spine

"We are a unity and we are unstoppable *Thrusts the trophy into the air like a diva*".

Amazing.
    The entire last 5 minutes gave me goosebumps. The way she changed the lyrics in the last part of RLAP was the icing on the cake. Such an amazing winner!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    The entire last 5 minutes gave me goosebumps. The way she changed the lyrics in the last part of RLAP was the icing on the cake. Such an amazing winner!

It was fantastic. Just amazing!

What is also amazing is RLAP's itunes chart positions in a few countries:

1-Ukraine
    1-Russia
    3-Belarus
    3-Kyrgyzstan
    19-Azerbaijan

Many more eastern countries, but those are the ones which stood out to me the most.

http://esctracker.com/
This discussion has been closed.