Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

Comments

• Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah because he didn't rape at least one other woman and he wasn't a psychopathic liar... Actually that's the truth.

But why would the brother say she was a druggy and she liked him. We need more flashbacks cause to me it was not certain.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I have seen some really bad examples on the Daily Mail website, and also by teachers, usually those under 30 ;-)
    I agree with that, but then I'm over 70.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    I wonder if Bob and Rita are going to share a scene. ;-) Mick and Janice too for that matter.

Doesn't Siobhan Finneran just get sexier with age? She wasn't much to look at back in the 80's but more recently... :o

We're having a gang bang.................
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    But why would the brother say she was a druggy and she liked him. We need more flashbacks cause to me it was not certain.

Her liking him before doesn't mean that Tommy didn't rape her. He is a psychopath so her feelings would've been irrelevant to him. He was a confirmed rapist and he tried to kill his own son. I'm not sure why you'd believe a word he said.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what Daniel said, (copied from the scripts that were linked to earlier in this thread):

I thought you got it! All of it!
    Becky was a loser! She ran rings
    round you! She hung around with
    wasters and pill-heads and bloody
    idiots and she was asking for it!

Yeah, we wouldn’t want her to stop
    believing her own shit. She was
    asking for it, mother! She liked
    him. She told me. She was that
    stupid.

I take this to mean that he blames Becky for putting herself in the situation where she got raped, not that he is suggesting that she wasn't raped. Surely when he says she was "asking for it" he means something like "she deserved it", not that she was literally asking Tommy to have sex with her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    He is cheating on Roz.

Try as I may, I can't dislike them doing that. But I still reckon that detective was worthier. Of course he may well be married.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Ok just watched this in its entirety on iplayer as everyone at work has been engrossed in it.... and just.... well Wow!

It's got to be the best thing I've seen in a while - what a gripping story, suspense, and a thrilling climax at the end.

ScandiNoir can sod off back up its own backside.... as well as that dismal imitation we had called Hinterland.
    Happy Valley was just effortlessly superb - really enjoyed it.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Just shows what a brilliant series it was and what an impact it has had that we're still talking about it nearly a week after it finished.

Deserves every award for which it's eligible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Ok just watched this in its entirety on iplayer as everyone at work has been engrossed in it.... and just.... well Wow!

It's got to be the best thing I've seen in a while - what a gripping story, suspense, and a thrilling climax at the end.

ScandiNoir can sod off back up its own backside.... as well as that dismal imitation we had called Hinterland.
    Happy Valley was just effortlessly superb - really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed Hinterland. The two shows may be crime dramas but they're different animals.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Just shows what a brilliant series it was and what an impact it has had that we're still talking about it nearly a week after it finished.

Deserves every award for which it's eligible.

That's just what I was thinking. I really enjoyed it and look forward to another series from the same author. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Watched this really good, I don't usually bother with bbc drama's as a general rule, all actors were really good, that Tommy seemed to be too good looking though for his character though, but in the Fall the had a Male model as the killer and it worked too.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghespetti wrote: »
    Watched this really good, I don't usually bother with bbc drama's as a general rule, all actors were really good, that Tommy seemed to be too good looking though for his character though, but in the Fall the had a Male model as the killer and it worked too.

He was a bit bland I thought, I know the BBC always try and get as far away from stereotypes as they can which is why rapists in their dramas tend to be blond white blokes, at least this one wasn't posh as well like James Wilmott-Brown.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can vote for Happy Valley and Sarah Lancashire in the TV Choice Awards.

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/awards/2014/vote
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    He was a bit bland I thought, I know the BBC always try and get as far away from stereotypes as they can which is why rapists in their dramas tend to be blond white blokes, at least this one wasn't posh as well like James Wilmott-Brown.

Bland? He was a psychopath who happened to be quite good looking. (Which made him even more scary in my mind).
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have just watched it on I Player..
    Brilliant.The violence was so graphic it was difficult to watch and I agree superb acting from Sarah Lancashire.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a little baffled at the talk of it being too graphic. Obviously its not a show kids should watch but I wouldn't say its seriously graphic - there was only one or two shots of the young policewoman who was run over, post mortem - probably the most cringey moment there was hearing the noise of him backing up over her repeatedly. I'm someone who tends to avoid watching 18 rated movies as I don't like seeing unnecessarily bloody violence but I didn't really think this was an especially graphic show.

Saying this gave me a thought - why didn't Tommy-Lee kill Lewis Whippey sooner, since it was pretty obvious Lewis wasn't happy with his actions?.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was "too" graphic but it was certainly vivid,lifelike and realistic
  • Jaggy2409Jaggy2409 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if it will be repeated please? Just been watching on catchup and the last episode we downloaded has deleted itself 'cos its over 7 days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaggy2409 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it will be repeated please? Just been watching on catchup and the last episode we downloaded has deleted itself 'cos its over 7 days.

I want to know this too :( I was watching the last episode with approx 20 mins to go...... I backed up in error and then discovered it had disappeared from my planner.....Gutted!
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one reason why I actually record a programme I possibly want to keep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    helxx wrote: »
    I want to know this too :( I was watching the last episode with approx 20 mins to go...... I backed up in error and then discovered it had disappeared from my planner.....Gutted!

Just Google TV show websites and you'll find links to the episodes on at least one.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember seeing Dara Bradley (young Becky) in anything else? I can't find anything online but I'm sure I've seen her in something.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her liking him before doesn't mean that Tommy didn't rape her. He is a psychopath so her feelings would've been irrelevant to him. He was a confirmed rapist and he tried to kill his own son. I'm not sure why you'd believe a word he said.

It's possible in Tommy's warped mind he had had some kind of feelings for Becky - but, you're right, that doesn't mean he didn't rape her. He seemed to have genuine feelings for Ryan, and a real need to connect with him. But someone like Tommy probably doesn't understand what love is. He confuses love with control, a typical trait in a psychopath - by killing Ryan at the same time as killing himself, they are forever bound together, no one can take Ryan from him.
    Jaggy2409 wrote: »

It's out on DVD from next Monday (16th)
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Just saw a trailer for Grantchester, focusing mainly on James Norton. Where he plays a vicar.

I think it'll still take me a few viewings to get Tommy out of my head when I watch him in that! lol
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I actually believed Tommy's version of what happened with Becky, they where both drugged up and afterwards Becky altered her perception of what happened. I think once she became pregnant she became depressed and killed herself.

The brothers outburst seemed to confirm it for me. That said, next series some more flashbacks would be good.

It was left ambiguous, you can decide for yourself. However, she didn't kill herself until the child was about 10 months old, if I remember correctly.