Christina Is Still The Queen In My Eyes

spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Forget all your Miley Cyruses, Katy Perrys, Rihannas, Gagas, Rita Oras and other current pretenders to the Queen Of Pop/Dance/Whatever throne - Christina Aguilera is still where it's at in my book! Well along with Madonna, Mariah, Britney, Lana and Kylie, of course, lol :D But honestly, Christina still has an incredible voice and makes brilliant, versatile music that's a real pleasure to listen to. She does her own thing, has her own unique sound yet has never been afraid to experiment with differing musical styles. From Genie In A Bottle to Fighter to Candyman to You Lost Me - you couldn't get 4 more completely different sounding songs, just as an example! It's just a shame commercially she's not doing as well any more, whilst other less talented but 'younger' more generic sounding singers rule the roost. To me she's better than she ever was. Ah well, it's the way of the fickle music world, I guess! :confused:

Any other faithful Christina fans here?! :)

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a shame her last album was utter dross. Stripped-Back To Basics for me will always be her pinnicle.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disagree but respect your opinoon

Love to know what this unique sound is. Because Lotus was the same overproduced crap everyone else is doing. As much as I love Bionic, that was no different either.

She experimented early in her career, but that all went kaput from Bionic onwards.

Her voice quality is questionable. Her vocals came across as strained in the whole of Lotus and many live performances she did before and during the era. Her National Anthem performance and her Etta James tribute song are two unebarable performances that stick in my mind. She is still one of the best vocalists around but has lost actual control of her voice in recent years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bionic admittedly was a great album forever misunderstood and underrated. It's a shame the execs got in the way and add more commercial aspects to it as Bird Of prey is a perfect example of what it should have been.

she is a great vocalist though but does heavily rely on gymnastics. Even Mariah Carey has had moments of restraint lol.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    completely agree with others

debut album; so-so
    stripped album - great album
    back to basics - great album
    bionic - great album
    lotus - terrible album
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just re-listening to Bionic extra's just wow. Just imagine if Bionic had been left alone.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her albums but I can never connect to her or feel for her because she comes across as stuck up to me, but like I said all her albums have good music so output wise I cannot complain, I even liked the majority of Lotus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no doubt Christina has a fantastic voice but as AdzPower said she doesn't come across as nice at all.

A lot of people that have worked with her or met her have talked about how rude she is and thinks she is high and mighty.

That guy from Mean Girls that covered her song Beautiful met her and introduced himself, saying he performed her song on Mean Girls to which she responded "Never seen it", turned her back and walked away.

Then there was Mary J Blige who in her own right is a voice to reckon with also spoke on a documentary about meeting her to which Christina extended her hand expecting Mary to kiss it! :eek:

It's a shame because she could have gone far but her attitude towards fans and other celebrities sounds awful.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    There's no doubt Christina has a fantastic voice but as AdzPower said she doesn't come across as nice at all.

A lot of people that have worked with her or met her have talked about how rude she is and thinks she is high and mighty.

That guy from Mean Girls that covered her song Beautiful met her and introduced himself, saying he performed her song on Mean Girls to which she responded "Never seen it", turned her back and walked away.

Then there was Mary J Blige who in her own right is a voice to reckon with also spoke on a documentary about meeting her to which Christina extended her hand expecting Mary to kiss it! :eek:

It's a shame because she could have gone far but her attitude towards fans and other celebrities sounds awful.

I agree with this.

No matter how much talent you have or how good your voice is, it's about how you treat people in the industry and Christina Aguilera has a VERY nasty reputation. Even Mary J Blige said in that interview that Britney can't sing like Christina, but she'll go further because she treats people well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Always found her voice to be completely overrated. She obviously has a huge voice but her technique often seems very poor in live performances.

Plus I'm always put off by the fact that she's obviously a complete monster when the cameras aren't rolling.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody can hold a candle to Christina. She is luminous and incandescent, fragrant and ethereal, with the voice of a thousand angels in simultaneous rapture. As mere mortals we should feel eternally grateful and forever fortunate to have shared the privilege of her god-like presence.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I was a fan of Christina's Stripped album but not much after that. IMO, from the ones that came from her era, Pink is far superior
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt Christina is to put it bluntly, a bitch
    Many people who have crossed her paths have said she is rude

Charlotte church said she was a fan until she crossed her path as Christina refused to talk to her and acted as if Charlotte was beneath her. Church was only 12/13 at the time and of course, was a huge star with the opera music.

The wanted said she was a cow when they appeared on The Voice

Mary J Blige never talks bad about anyone so for her to say that about Christina says a lot

Pink couldn't stand her when they recorded Lady Marmalade. They wanted the song to be all about Christina but Pink being a bad ass, made sure her and everyone else all got a chance to shine in the song.
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    She really should have gone down the mature rock route personally. Out of all her songs, Fighter is the one in which her voice never feels strained just for the sake of it, it actually makes sense in the context of the actual sound and lyrics.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think her being a diva was the issue. Mariah is a diva and still managed to do ok. There was a lot of people in the industry who didn't like Mariah at her peak while Madonna has always been branded as rude. During her heyday very few of her counterparts even liked her because they thought her attitude was appalling! lol

I think the problem was going down the generic electro route instead sticking to mature pop. Most of all though her problem is down to taking too long between albums. Make no mistake. After Stripped Christina was the queen of the pop world. It was her crown to lose and she lost it as the follow up took too long.
    No doubt Christina is to put it bluntly, a bitch
    Many people who have crossed her paths have said she is rude

Charlotte church said she was a fan until she crossed her path as Christina refused to talk to her and acted as if Charlotte was beneath her. Church was only 12/13 at the time and of course, was a huge star with the opera music.

The wanted said she was a cow when they appeared on The Voice

Mary J Blige never talks bad about anyone so for her to say that about Christina says a lot

Pink couldn't stand her when they recorded Lady Marmalade. They wanted the song to be all about Christina but Pink being a bad ass, made sure her and everyone else all got a chance to shine in the song.

The Wanted had few nice things to say about anyone, that is why their career is over.

Also I just want to point out. The Pink thing was about Linda Perry. Pink and Christina were friends despite Pink not being happy at Ron Fair over his demanding that Christina got the biggest parts on Lady M. It wasn't until Linda started working with Christina did the shit hit the fan as Pink became too obessed with Linda and didn't want her working with anyone else. Linda said this herself which is why she stepped away from Pink's career.
  • breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Everything about her personality aside because I've only heard people saying this on forums (not that the people saying it aren't correct but simply that it's not something I know anything about from listening to original interviews or that type of thing...), I'm just not a fan of CA.

Stripped was an amazing album. I love it even now, songs like Fighter and The Voice Within are songs that will never get old. The whole album is pretty perfect as albums go (it's one of those rare ones I never skip a single song on). All in all, I can't say a bad word about it!

From Back To Basics onwards though imo everything went downhill musically (I'm also going to ignore sales because it's the content that's more important to me). Some of BTB was very good, I particularly liked Hurt. However imo Aint No Other Man for instance was just really messy sounding, all over the place. Candyman was pretty good but overall I didn't find that the album stood up to the high standards set by Stripped.

Since then her songs have been very hit and miss (mostly miss imo). Keeps Getting Better was catchy but I don't think it suited her voice at all (I'm listening to it now, I'd forgotten how catchy it was). I think she chose the wrong musical direction and that just became more obvious with Bionic and Lotus. I don't really understand why she felt the need to chase that type of success when she clearly had the talent to follow her own musical path and to stand out from the crowd.

IMO what she needs to do is take a step back and think about the type of music that will actually suit her voice. She can do so much better than Bionic and Lotus, and I'm not just saying that with no evidence. Stripped is evidence enough. She needs to get back to her routes and make music that is meaningful and that actually suits her voice, not releasing stuff like Not Myself Tonight!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    I agree with this.

No matter how much talent you have or how good your voice is, it's about how you treat people in the industry and Christina Aguilera has a VERY nasty reputation. Even Mary J Blige said in that interview that Britney can't sing like Christina, but she'll go further because she treats people well.

The lies people tell!

There is NO problem between Mary J Blige and Christina Aguilera and there NEVER has been one.

There is a reason why Mary doesn't stand by that statement and why she denies it because it NEVER happened like that.

Christina has even said that never happened and she didn't know Mary that well at the time

If you knew anything about Christina, you would know she is extremely shy and guarded and doesn't approach people she doesn't know, let alone in a fashion like that. So her first meetings can be awkward, but once the miscommunication has been cleared, there is obviously no issue

Do you people even do your research or just enjoy spreading lies?

If Christina had really done that, do you think Mary has invited Christina to perform at her charity benefits? Why do you think Mary has called Christina a personal friend now ? Use some common sense for once.
    Forum Member

There is NO attitude.

Christina may be lively in interviews but she doesn't interact well with strangers not because she has an "attitude" but because she is very introverted/shy due to her past childhood abuse.

Nevertheless, what do you want her to do with that Mean Girls guy? She said she didn't know the movie. Is she supposed to lie and pretend she saw it? Besides, you don't know how he approached her or what kind of circumstance she was in. She could have been in a store with her son crying while this random guy runs over saying he sang 20 seconds of her song in some movie from 10 years ago that she probably doesn't even remember off the top of her head. She might have been drunk as **** at a gay bar with her friends and just trying to be normal when this random guy comes over saying he sang her song. You don't know. It's stupid to make assumptions when you weren't there

No person owes a random stranger a conversation. Period. You are stepping into someone's comfort zone and trying to force a reaction out of them... even worse, you feel "ENTITLED" to being acknowledged? Disgusting. I know most of you aren't women... random people stopping to talk to you is a nightmare. Judgmental assholes like you who don't know anything about her or people who live with these kind of conditions are the true Mean Girls here. Be thankful you're too unapproachable looking or too desperate for socialization to experience such stress?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of Christina but I like a couple of her songs. To be honest I don't like her voice. I find it hard to warm to. I don't particularly like her ballads as I think she screams a lot on them. And do not get me started on her national anthem performance! That should be a crime against music :o
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the fact that linda perry thought p!nk was obsessed with her and started working with Christina. P!nk still has hits and is still as successful as ever, Christina on the other hand........

Take that Linda perry
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    I love the fact that linda perry thought p!nk was obsessed with her and started working with Christina. P!nk still has hits and is still as successful as ever, Christina on the other hand........

Take that Linda perry

I think tensions between LP and Pink started when Linda played Pink 'Beautiful', Pink wanted it but Linda told her that she was saving it for herself. Then not too long after, she gave it to Christina.

And then LP and Pink had conflicts over the musical direction of what would become Pink's 3rd album Try This.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Take that Linda perry

EXACTLY! Pink sh!ts all over Christina.
    Forum Member

Take that Linda perry

Linda didn't "think" that. It was a fact. Linda has said that PInk was irrationally jealous and insecure that she worked with Christina.

But Linda was right, nobody "owns" her. Pink works with other producers after they have worked with other artists? So why can't Linda work with other artists?

There was no reason for P!nk to be so bitter and nasty
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    MaxBrown wrote: »
    The lies people tell!

There is NO problem between Mary J Blige and Christina Aguilera and there NEVER has been one.

There is a reason why Mary doesn't stand by that statement and why she denies it because it NEVER happened like that.

Christina has even said that never happened and she didn't know Mary that well at the time

If you knew anything about Christina, you would know she is extremely shy and guarded and doesn't approach people she doesn't know, let alone in a fashion like that. So her first meetings can be awkward, but once the miscommunication has been cleared, there is obviously no issue

Do you people even do your research or just enjoy spreading lies?

If Christina had really done that, do you think Mary has invited Christina to perform at her charity benefits? Why do you think Mary has called Christina a personal friend now ? Use some common sense for once.

Your delusion is delicious.

The look of sheer disgust on MJB's face when xtina appeared onstage at the 2003 vmas tells a very different story.
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I think it's a shame to see 2 of the biggest popstars of our generation
    (Christina and Britney) careers in such a mess, Lotus peaking at #28 and Britney Jean at #34 in the UK.

They were meant to be the Madonna and Whitney of this generation, they definitely both peaked far too early.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compared to past glories where they were both trendsetters and lead the way doing their own thing they both became followers and got shit...simple. success isn't guaranteed by name alone anymore.