Well done Corrie! (ADHD PLOT)

soapreturneesoapreturnee Posts: 421
Forum Member
I'm thrilled Corrie is going to be tackling a ADHD plot with Max. It's a real social issue of our time, and an important one to highlight, well done to corrie for tackling it and I'm sure the show will do it justice. :):) And it'll give the Platt clan a new interesting story, especially with Kylie ending up taking Max's medication herself.

Comments

• GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not been watching?

They have already ruined it.

Max developed ADHD in seconds after being a fairly normal, well behaved boy.

No gradual build up, it was instant change!
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly a topical issue for the show to explore. It poses a challenge for the writers in that it's not a condition that they can just sweep under the carpet. I have noticed that people have been complaining about how obvious Max's behaviour patterns have become in the last couple of weeks but I still think it's good that it's being highlighted. It annoys me when viewers on here complain about how David's epilepsy appears to have been brushed under the carpet. That's totally not the case, it's a condition that is very easy to manage with medication (I know because my mother has it). Just because he's not having fits every second week it doesn't mean it's been forgotten about.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The boy playing Max is a good lad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally do think the timescale is totally ludicrous in which this story has been laid out. To get diagnosed with Adhd is a long process. I also think that the soap could go further with the story of kylie taking max medication. Kylie clearly is an adult with adult ADHD
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there been any official explanation as to why the majority of ADHD cases are in single parent (mother) families?

I keep hearing this statement on various talk shows on the radio but I don't recall hearing where this information comes from.

I have to be honest and say from someone who has not had any experience of this, that the above would not surprise me if a fact!

By the way, I was a single parent (Dad) after my wife deciding she wanted to regain her youth and have nothing to do with a 4 year old boy and a 6 year old girl.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    ADHD. another name for badly behaved spoilt brat. Oh, how I look forward to this storyline.>:(
  • Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    ADHD. another name for badly behaved spoilt brat. Oh, how I look forward to this storyline.>:(

Is it, is it really. Because I work with children and I can tell you now that that is one of the most narrow minded load of BS I've heard since bars and melody on britains got talent
  • KaifKaif Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Is ADHD a form autism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Fadge1968 wrote: »

I am not a brat..... I am an adult

I was not badly behaved..... I was very well-behaved

I was not spoilt.... I was well brought up by good parents...

It didn't stop me being BORN with ADHD.....

My sister, brought up exactly the same way, was not..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have ADHD.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thrilled Corrie is going to be tackling a ADHD plot with Max. It's a real social issue of our time, and an important one to highlight, well done to corrie for tackling it and I'm sure the show will do it justice. :):) And it'll give the Platt clan a new interesting story, especially with Kylie ending up taking Max's medication herself.

Is it? Is it really?
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctors and psychiatrists are still divided in their opinion on whether ADHD is a genuine condition or just bad parenting. It will be interesting to see how this is portrayed in Coronation Street. The boy who plays Max is a good actor, so I think he can handle the story.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    I assume that Max will get the care, attention and support that he heeds. It's just that last time there was an issue, they sold him for cash. It's nice that Kylie has changed into a caring parent. I hope the schooling he's missing isn't too important.
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excuse for single mums to get more benefits, convienient how its mainly these types of children that get it isn't it!
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BZR wrote: »
    An excuse for single mums to get more benefits, convienient how its mainly these types of children that get it isn't it!

A little unfair because I've heard of children from more affluent families suffering from it. In fact I know someone who suffers from it and they aren't from a chav family.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I say I have ADHD can I wreck things and behave atrociously in public? There's obviously tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people with ADHD and it's a genuine condition. I get that, but hasn't it become a catch all to be able to explain away a lot of badly behaved, ill mannered people?
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    I assume that Max will get the care, attention and support that he heeds. It's just that [/B]last time there was an issue, they sold him for cash. It's nice that Kylie has changed into a caring parent. I hope the schooling he's missing isn't too important.

:):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Doctors, scientists and psychiatrists are NOT divided.....

10,000 scientific reports backed by 98% of them.....

you get to read about the fluke 2% in the Daily Fail
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bullying is a social issue, too, but that was, it seems, solely introduced, and briefly, as a lead in to Tina's befriending Simon. Just as this "ADHD plot" is to lead in to the actress portraying Kylie having a break from the programme for a while.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    Forum Member
    Is it, is it really. Because I work with children and I can tell you now that that is one of the most narrow minded load of BS I've heard since bars and melody on britains got talent

Is it, is it really?

Led a sheltered life then.
    Forum Member
    The boy who plays Max is a good actor, so I think he can handle the story.

No he isn't. He's a plank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADHD and autism used to be very under-reported. My oldest brother has severe autism, yet wasn't diagnosed properly for decades. It is tough trying to work out what percentage of the population is affected.

There is an argument that some children growing up without structure can show behaviour similar to ADHD, but it is all a bit chicken and egg. A lot of parents leave because they can't cope with their kids having problem behaviour (my dad did, and he is a doctor).

ADHD is a very real condition, and (as with autism) it varies massively from person to person. Sometimes it affects the intellect, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't matter what background you come from. When I did teaching practice in school, one of the teachers told me to watch the ADHD kids and see if I could spot when their medication kicked in - it was really remarkable to watch, and I don't know that they themselves had any awareness that it was happening.

A decade ago, there was a lot of similar suspicion/prejudice about dyslexia. It was labelled an excuse for poor writing/stupidity. Now, it is recognised and dealt with at an early age. My daughter has a condition which means that the characters on a white page or screen appear to move; she uses a coloured filter now when reading. This can be associated with dyslexia, but in her case is not. It was spotted when she was five.

These days, there is a big focus on looking at why children are not reaching targets, and whether or not there is anything that can be done to help them, because early intervention is crucial. I just wish my brother had been brought up in this age - his life would have been very different.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been any official explanation as to why the majority of ADHD cases are in single parent (mother) families?

Probably because the difficulties of bringing up a child with ADHD puts a huge strain on relationships.

I think a lot of couples with a disabled child split up. It really is tough.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADHD and autism used to be very under-reported. My oldest brother has severe autism, yet wasn't diagnosed properly for decades.

Very true. My father and one of his brothers both showed a lot of behaviours that are typical of Asperger's and my father showed definite signs of OCD, too, but they grew up in the 1930s when these things hadn't been identified.

My brother almost certainly had ADD or something, we used to call him "grasshopper brain". We just thought he was naughty and got hacked off that he never slept for more than a couple of hours.