Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    After signing Sanchez:

Arsenal don't need another forward, says Wenger

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/07/21/4972365/-

He will concentrate on bringing in a GK and CD and another midfielder (probably DM) depending "on how our midfielders get through without injuries until the start of the season".

Sounds like we might be 1 or 2 short as per usual apart from in Wenger's eyes (roll eyes). Nervous relying on Diaby and Sanogo for a title challenge.

But it's Goal.com!
    Obviously he thinks Sanchez can play as a forward, I hope he sticks with Campbell and not Sanogo (I like him, but not good enough at this level).
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of a quality DM to keep the big games tight cost us last season (and possibly the high line with Mertesacker in defence but that's another issue). There's no reason the same won't happen if we have Arteta again as 1st choice DM. I really can't bear watching another 6-0 drubbing against the likes of Chelsea etc.

Just hope Wenger is prioritising the DM position just as much as the other positions that need filling numbers wise rather than quality wise. Khedira, Bender or Schneiderlein will be better than what we have in the squad.

Yes, but it's mainly that we have to stop being unlucky (if that's possible) with injuries and suspensions, and to adopt a different style in some games. Potential First Team DMs Arteta and Flamini should at the very least be decent options and as you say if we can add to/replace one with the options you mentioned, we will be in a much stronger position.

Wenger needs to realise that there is no shame in putting together a more coherent and realistic plan when playing the likes of ManU, Pool and Chelsea away. If we can turn some of these deadful results into points this season, we'll be challenging.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been posted, saw it on bbc this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal

Not much info, just that he won't start training until end of August.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    Do we actually know what the club is going to do with Joel Campbell this year? If he is finally being brought into the squad then I'm not sure there is a pressing need for another forward.

The DM is essential however and this is where I am really hoping Wenger doesn't revert to type. Another CD seems likely if Vermaelen is sold to United (I wouldn't have any problems with that) and Arsene admitted as much over the weekend.

So, to my mind, we still need a new keeper and a new DM and hoping, in both cases, we don't end up with the usual cheap / ignored solutions. Another CD might also be necessary if and when Vermaelen's future is clearer.

I would agree, unless Diaby manages to stay fit, which looking at his current record is unbelievably unlikely, then what concerns me is Wengers lack of urgency over signing a defensive midfielder. I also think Vermaelen is almost certain to leave so Wenger should look out for another center back .
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Wenger took advantage of networking while in Brazil. It's business as usual now. I don't think there'll be any more top signings.
    I think Wenger's Diaby obsession has been fired up again by Abou managing 45 mins against Borehamwood tbh.
    Blokes don't change their M.O when they get to 65 or whatever he is (not Diaby, Wenger!)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "According to the Daily Mail".

Nonetheless if true hopefully he will provide real competition to Chesney as he needs this threat to take him to the next level.

The Standard report that too.
    Forum Member
    I "think" this says we made a bid for William Carvalho, but I dont know much or anything about him.

http://www.cayaaro.net/2014/07/22/arsenal-oo-kor-u-qaaday-lacagaha-ay-ku-dooneysay-william-carvalho-iyagoo-diyaar-laa-ah-lacagaha-ay-dalbatay-lisbon/

What language is that in? :D:confused:
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I "think" this says we made a bid for William Carvalho, but I dont know much or anything about him.

http://www.cayaaro.net/2014/07/22/arsenal-oo-kor-u-qaaday-lacagaha-ay-ku-dooneysay-william-carvalho-iyagoo-diyaar-laa-ah-lacagaha-ay-dalbatay-lisbon/

What language is that in? :D:confused:

Batdudeish?
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Translate tells me it is Somalian.

Grim, your dedication in scouring the world to bring us the latest transfer stories is truly admirable:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the same story yesterday in English but I can't find it again now. But yes you are right we have supposedly bid for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea to be absolutely honest!
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure on his playing ability but he has only had 4 seasons in senior football 2 with Sporting totalling 30 apps and 4 goals and 2 loans with Fatima and Cercle Brugge. He also has 6 senior caps for Portugal.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it appears the Ospina deal has been formalised today for a nominal £3m and indications are that if Vermaelen is allowed to leave Arsene is aware of the need to source a replacement. I'm not completely sold on taking Jones or Smalling as part of any deal but it does, at least, mean he isn't going to leave the squad short.

Now Arsene, just find that quality DM and I will happily stand up and say you have exceeded my wildest expectations this year and I cannot, for once, fault you. Here's an interesting conspiracy theory though, is it possible the recent contract included some limitation of the Managers role in the transfer process ... the reason we have completed so many transfers in good time this year is simply because other members of the club are now much more heavily involved?
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want Smalling but actually wouldn't mind Jones as a back up central defender.
    He's still young and although he's had a lot of injuries could still become a top player.

Would be surprised if United let him go tbh.
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just become a season ticket holder, very excited!
    Forum Member
    Hey,
    I heard I may be going to one of the Emirates Cup days with a friend apparently (the first one, August 2), do you have to wear an Arsenal shirt (I only have one, an Ozil away shirt) or doesnt it matter? :)
    Excited though! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    JARV wrote: »
    Just become a season ticket holder, very excited!

Congratulations, out of interest how many years did it take to get on the list?
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal interested in Nani, according to rumours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »

I'm not.
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    I'm not.

Me neither :D
    Forum Member
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »

Please not another one of their bleeding rejects!
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I heard I may be going to one of the Emirates Cup days with a friend apparently (the first one, August 2), do you have to wear an Arsenal shirt (I only have one, an Ozil away shirt) or doesnt it matter? :)
    Excited though! :D

Hey, you'll have a great time I'm sure. Haven't a clue about the shirts though, but I'd imagine you can wear what you like :)
This discussion has been closed.