Options

Economy Increase

occyoccy Posts: 65,147
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28479902

Wages are still not rising. It's also taking 6 years for it to. Will this keep the Tories running the country in 2015?

Comments

• Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28479902

Wages are still not rising. It's also taking 6 years for it to. Will this keep the Tories running the country in 2015?

No because people will vote on whether they feel happy with their personal circumstances. It doesn't matter how much we are told the economy is growing if we aren't seeing it in our pay packet. Hence the Tories still polling in the low-thirties.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Poppy Trowbridge on Sky News, the economy is back to where it was just before the recession. Unfortunately individuals are not better off because the population has grown by 5%, so there are smaller slices of the pie to go around.

So basically.

1. Labour trash the economy.
    2. The Tories repair the economy.
    3. Due to Labour's immigration policies the population grows by 5%.
    4. Per head people are not better off due to the slices of the pie being smaller.
    5. They all go and vote Labour at the next election hoping for more for them personally.
    6. Labour give them more of other peoples money.
    7. Labour trash the economy.

And so on...
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Poppy Trowbridge on Sky News, the economy is back to where it was just before the recession. Unfortunately individuals are not better off because the population has grown by 5%, so there are smaller slices of the pie to go around.

So basically.

4. Per head people are not better off due to the slices of the pie being smaller.
    5. They all go and vote Labour at the next election hoping for more for them personally.

And so on...

Well that's nonsense. Tories and Labour both do well to F**k everything up in their own ways.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is shopping cheaper? Asda etc selling things for a quid. Possibly. Suppliers and supermarkets need to pay that and the cost drawn from somewhere.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    First past the post means that people will either not bother voting or will vote for the major party they find least distasteful. So it really comes down to which of the two big parties you think will do the least damage before the next time you get to choose between them.

Me? Well I've decided not to play the tactical game any longer and will vote for a small party and ignore the propaganda put out by the large parties that doing something like that is a wasted vote.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the rich are getting richer while the poor are staying the same, GDP will still increase so it doesn't really say much about the individual circumstances that people actually vote on.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    If the rich are getting richer while the poor are staying the same, GDP will still increase so it doesn't really say much about the individual circumstances that people actually vote on.

How are the poor getting worse/the same? They've been taken out of paying any income tax whatsoever. Considering now they pay nothing into the pot, it's a miracle they still get benefits. And I'm one of those who makes less than £10k a year. People will never be happy whatever the Government does for them, it's never enough.

The Economy is on the up, obviously not everyone is feeling it. I doubt if you asked the population at any point in history if they feel rich/well off/doing quite well, you'll never get more than 90% saying yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    How are the poor getting worse/the same? They've been taken out of paying any income tax whatsoever. Considering now they pay nothing into the pot, it's a miracle they still get benefits. And I'm one of those who makes less than £10k a year. People will never be happy whatever the Government does for them, it's never enough.

The Economy is on the up, obviously not everyone is feeling it. I doubt if you asked the population at any point in history if they feel rich/well off/doing quite well, you'll never get more than 90% saying yes.

They may pay less tax but their bills go up too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »

Utility, food, rent and council tax bill increases are the mean reasons I can think of. Do you live with your mum and dad or are you off The Good Life and grow your own food?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Utility, food, rent and council tax bill increases are the mean reasons I can think of. Do you live with your mum and dad or are you off The Good Life and grow your own food?

I think you will find that council tax has remained pretty stagnant - mine even went down last year.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

is that the governments fault?
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member

So basically.

And so on...

Ah yes, of course that's what happens;-)
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True, and some don't earn enough to pay tax in the first place. many of the working poor have no choice other than to claim in work benefits, benefits that the Tories have frozen to below inflation rises for THREE years (a massive pay cut in real terms when the steady rise of household bills is taken into account) this was at around the same time that they gave the top earners a massive income boost,

As well as having their in work benefits frozen, the low paid workers have had their employment rights and job security reduced, many tens of thousands of low paid workers also claim housing benefit and are spare room criminals, which means a considerable percentage of their income has been taken from them by this set of utter........ by this government,
    the people who claim benefits, and for some, even those who work, are widely thought of as "scroungers" and yet, the billionaire CEOs of multi national multi million/billion pound profit making companies are given knighthoods and invited to number ten for dinner, while they continue to pay many of their workers the minimum that the law will allow, knowing full well that the good 'old tax payer' will not only 'subsidise' their workers wages for them through in work benefits,

but many of the 'decent hard working tax payers' will actually BLAME the low paid workers for being low paid, as well as complain about having to "subsidise" many of the low paid workers so called 'spare' bedrooms, while the real parasites and scroungers laugh their asses off,

OH and lets not forget 'Dave' and 'George' "support those who work hard" except those who work hard but are low paid of course,
    Welcome to conditioning,

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength,
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

For a start the government are artificially propping up house prices and rents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It can be.

They have been propping up the housing market with various schemes.

They have been removing some subsidies to public transport.

They have sat back and allow the energy firms to raise the prices above inflation without doing something about it.

They have allowed our population to rise thus diluting the wages for people.

I am not just talking about this Govt but past ones too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you will find that council tax has remained pretty stagnant - mine even went down last year.

I think you missed a nit.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the people who claim benefits, and for some, even those who work, are widely thought of as "scroungers" and yet, the billionaire CEOs of multi national multi million/billion pound profit making companies are given knighthoods and invited to number ten for dinner, while they continue to pay many of their workers the minimum that the law will allow, knowing full well that the good 'old tax payer' will not only 'subsidise' their workers wages for them through in work benefits,

so are you advocating the scrapping of in-work benefits?

if so we agree on something.. :D
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Nothing will change until people stop voting for neo liberal parties. Wage stagnation is great for businesses. Keeping people servile and in debt is great for politicians.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Yes.

For a start the government are artificially propping up house prices and rents.
    It can be.

They have sat back and allow the energy firms to raise the prices above inflation without doing something about it.

in regards to housing, we really can thank labour for screwing us on that. 13 years in office. how many houses did they build? (council / social). ah yes, less than how many thatcher built in her last year of office (and no i don't mean personally built them:D). this stat has been posted on this forum recently.

reducing the subsidy for public transport? so, are you in favour of the government subsidising private enterprise? if you are, then don't complain about in work benefits.

don't we have an energy regulator? shouldn't they do something first? or perhaps you would like the power companies to receive subsidies.

we can't do anything about EU immigration, but yes you are right in regards to non EU immigration. there was a stat on the national news tonight about the population count in 2008 and now. it has risen by 3 million. 3 BLOODY MILLION IN 6 YEARS. this is what is helping to dilute the wages people are paid, and to be honest, you can't blame private companies for taking advantage.

and yes, i agree with you, successive governments have allowed this to happen, but if anyone here thinks labour or any other party is going to change any of the above, well, to be honest you are deluded.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    so are you advocating the scrapping of in-work benefits?

if so we agree on something.. :D

Go ahead, make something else up that I DIDN'T SAY,

I would like to see there being more people who don't need to claim in work benefits because the scrounging parasites who leech off the tax payers actually pay their workers a decent wage,

Of course I realise that some smaller companies can't afford to pay above the minimum wage and forcing them to do so would be counter productive,

but companies that regularly turn over huge profits and who bung the Tories large donations, while they continue to pay a very large percentage of their workforce the minimum the law will allow them to 'get away with' knowing full well that the 'hard working tax payers' will happily 'subsidise' their wage bill for them,

At the same time these tax payers are being instructed by the Tories to 'dislike' the low paid worker with a 'spare' room, and to complain about 'subsidising' said low paid workers 'spare' room,
    while the multimillionaire benefit system exploiting, tax payers money scrounging CEOs get given massive personal bonuses and tax cuts, as well as the odd knighthood or two, and invited for dinner at number 10 to discus just how many of the Tory supplied tax payer funded 'free workers' Dave will let them have,

but hey, remember what the beloved leader said,
    "We support those who work hard" ................. except those who work hard in low paid jobs, then it becomes "We exploit those who work hard in low paid jobs and allow our chums to exploit them too"

Tories eh? Nye Bevan had it spot on,
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go ahead, make something else up that I DIDN'T SAY,

I would like to see there being more people who don't need to claim in work benefits because the scrounging parasites who leech off the tax payers actually pay their workers a decent wage,

Of course I realise that some smaller companies can't afford to pay above the minimum wage and forcing them to do so would be counter productive,

but companies that regularly turn over huge profits and who bung the Tories large donations, while they continue to pay a very large percentage of their workforce the minimum the law will allow them to 'get away with' knowing full well that the 'hard working tax payers' will happily 'subsidise' their wage bill for them,

At the same time these tax payers are being instructed by the Tories to 'dislike' the low paid worker with a 'spare' room, and to complain about 'subsidising' said low paid workers 'spare' room,
    while the multimillionaire benefit system exploiting, tax payers money scrounging CEOs get given massive personal bonuses and tax cuts, as well as the odd knighthood or two, and invited for dinner at number 10 to discus just how many of the Tory supplied tax payer funded 'free workers' Dave will let them have,

but hey, remember what the beloved leader said,
    "We support those who work hard" ................. except those who work hard in low paid jobs, then it becomes "We exploit those who work hard in low paid jobs and allow our chums to exploit them too"

Tories eh? Nye Bevan had it spot on,

Sorry I got lost in all the rhetoric. Are you in favour of in-work benfits or not because you seem to be complaining when people dont get enough yet at the same time are complaining that companies are subsidised for low wages - you cant have it both ways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be.

Private companies some of them under the last government. Do you complain when car prices increase.

RBS announced £2.7 B profit, I haven't noticed much change in interests. My savings account earns nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Private companies some of them under the last government. Do you complain when car prices increase.

RBS announced £2.7 B profit, I haven't noticed much change in interests. My savings account earns nothing.

You do not need to buy a new car consistently. You do need to buy energy on a regular basis.

You do not need interest on your account to survive. It is a nice bonus. You can say that incompetent economic policy has resulted in low interest rates on savings.

But we are talking about necessary spending. Nice try though.
  • Options
    sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Sorry I got lost in all the rhetoric. Are you in favour of in-work benfits or not because you seem to be complaining when people dont get enough yet at the same time are complaining that companies are subsidised for low wages - you cant have it both ways.

It was a highly perceptive post by OHG. Very impressive & insightful indeed.

What OHG is saying is that these mega rich companies making millions in profit should be paying their workers more than the minimum wage, and then said workers wouldn't need to be claiming in-work benefits.

No, he's not in favour of scrapping in-work benefits, because there'll still be people who need them, e.g. people working for smaller companies who can't afford to pay higher wages, or people working less hours, etc.

The general crux of the issue is that thousands of people up and down the country are being exploited.
    The big company CEOs are getting richer.
    The same old Tory divide and rule tactics are in force.
    The middle to higher end earners are kept just sweet enough not to rebel in their masses, and are made to believe that the poorer people are to blame for why they're not quite as well off as they were a few years ago.
    The blame is poured on to the weak, poor, unemployed, sick, disabled, immigrants, etc, diverting the attention away from the real cause of the problem.... the Tories, big business tycoons, bankers etc who are laughing their heads off, milking the country for every penny...

The Tories want us to believe that the economy has recovered and everything is all peachy & rosy.
    The real story paints a completely different picture though.
    Thankfully, enough people can see straight through this government's lies and deceit, and all being well, ~70% of the electorate will not be voting for the Tories next year (not that Labour are much better, but hey, that's Orwellian style fake democracy for you).

OHG explained it all much better than me :--)