Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Wenger on ESPN: “You know at the start Szczensy will be the No. 1, then again we’ll be down to performances and, if Ospina shows that he is better, he will play,”

http://football-talk.co.uk/93729/arsene-wenger-confirms-colombian-international-will-join-arsenal/?

This is so weird its not like Wenger to talk about a player before we sign them. So Ospina must be ours.

Great news Ches won't be able to mess up or he will be dropped.
    You have to feel for Southampton. So much talent being sold in one window.

BBC now reportiing move is close http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28497920

Sky have it as well. Good to see Wenger doing deals even if it is on the hush hush. Yeah you have to feel for them.

Even so i think we should go back with £40-50 mill for Morgan S and Jay Rodriguez
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have to feel for Southampton. So much talent being sold in one window.

BBC now reportiing move is close http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28497920

Someone there's going to have loads of money to spend though.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Even so i think we should go back with £40-50 mill for Morgan S and Jay Rodriguez

Didn't know we were linked with Jay Rodriguez. Thought only Scum were in for him?

You're right, good to see Wenger keeping things hush hush. No one guessed we would go after Sanchez and Chambers.
    Someone there's going to have loads of money to spend though.

True. Can still see them struggling this season. You can only replace so much - we should know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    at this rate, Southampton will need to give their bank balance a squad number
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    We got Chambers as replacement for Vermy apparently:

http://www.justarsenal.com/confirmed-arsenal-sign-vermaelen-replacement/34133
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chambers is a decent signing, gives us cover at both RB and CB. Has the potential to become first choice CDM within a few years too. Happy with our business so far, still think we need a proper CDM though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Ballotelli? :p:D

Very much doubt it will happen though. Tbh I think we're better off without him with his temperament even if we could do with another striker.

I doubt it as we'll, Wenger has said no and more importantly I don't think he would sign anyone with that sort of temperament.

I think the rumours have been started because both he and AC Milan don't like there current arrangement.
    Forum Member
    This isnt like Wenger to do business so early, whats going on? :D
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    We got Chambers as replacement for Vermy apparently:

http://www.justarsenal.com/confirmed-arsenal-sign-vermaelen-replacement/34133

Bit risky having such a young guy with very little experience as potentially coming in for important league and champs league games. I see at as a 16 million gamble rather than guaranteed quality.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC reporting it too. A lot of money but good to see we are doing serious business isn't it?
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    BBC reporting it too. A lot of money but good to see we are doing serious business isn't it?

It's long, long overdue but you're absolutely right. Finally.

Now come on Arsene, your work so far has been exemplary this summer but we need a DM desperately. Please don't rely simply on Wilshere and Diaby because neither are strong enough. One last signing and you'll have renewed my faith considerably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC say £16m by the way. I wouldn't count on either Jack or Diaby putting together a run of games.
    Forum Member
    £16m is a lot for a 19 year old :eek:
    Add Carvahlo (sp?) and say, Firmino and this will be a fantastic window (it already is)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    £16m is a lot for a 19 year old :eek:
    Add Carvahlo (sp?) and say, Firmino and this will be a fantastic window (it already is)

I agree it has been fantastic but if we do decide against a new DM you know as well as I do that we will live to regret it which seems such a shame when viewed against the progress that has been made elsewhere in the squad.

However I'm actually cautiously optimistic. We seem to have been linked with a number of quality targets in that position so I'm going to assume Arsene really is looking.

We almost have the luxury now to be able to start cutting some of the remaining deadwood rather than desperately having to hang onto everyone simply to ensure adequate cover is available (Diaby, I'm looking at you).
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many games will they miss. I agree about the defensive frailties but additionally a large proportion of the problem is our attitude and not turning up.

By the way do we definitely have the German fitness coach on board?

This miss the Carlin Cup or whatever it is called these days and the first premiership match.

Didn't know anything about the German fitness coach.

I am excited about the new signings, but we had at least 3 results that you should only have once a century let alone in the same season. I'm pretty sure that we had our first choice defence for all of those results. I'm not sure it can be solved only by new signings, but the defensive side of our game needs serious looking at.
    Forum Member
    Completely agree on that :)
    Forum Member
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    Chambers is a decent signing, gives us cover at both RB and CB. Has the potential to become first choice CDM within a few years too. Happy with our business so far, still think we need a proper CDM though.

Agree with this. Chambers will be groomed into the CB position but is the typical Wenger signing that can be flexible too. Has the physique for a CB too. Long term he's a Mertesacker replacement as his age is 30+? Also maybe Jenkinson doesn't need to go out on loan after all.

Re DM hopefully the Schneiderlin deal gets completed. We need that shield in front of the defence that was so non existent in the big games last season.

Can't remember Wenger being this proactive in July. Especially with the excuse of the World Cup. Really optimistic for the new season if the DM position gets covered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with this. Chambers will be groomed into the CB position but is the typical Wenger signing that can be flexible too. Has the physique for a CB too. Long term he's a Mertesacker replacement as his age is 30+? Also maybe Jenkinson doesn't need to go out on loan after all.

Re DM hopefully the Schneiderlin deal gets completed. We need that shield in front of the defence that was so non existent in the big games last season.

Can't remember Wenger being this proactive in July. Especially with the excuse of the World Cup. Really optimistic for the new season if the DM position gets covered.

Believe it or not Chambers is apparently a midfielder (and is listed as one on the Southampton site) but is so versatile and was so good in filling in at right back that they kept him there! Not sure what light that sheds on Arsene's plans for him but we might be getting a jack of all trades (not that I think that's an issue).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Casillas now? Not sure how I'd feel about that. At least he wouldn't be our only keeper and it might turn out the competition for the place keeps them both on their toes.
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    Believe it or not Chambers is apparently a midfielder (and is listed as one on the Southampton site) but is so versatile and was so good in filling in at right back that they kept him there! Not sure what light that sheds on Arsene's plans for him but we might be getting a jack of all trades (not that I think that's an issue).

Really hope he's not being bought to cover 3 positions! (RB, CB, DM)

Don't believe that story for a second. Probably due to the amount of annoying pop ups that it brings up!

If Ospina hasn't signed by the end of next week I think we can call it off but Wenger doesn't usually speak about players so still a dead cert to join us IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metro is reporting that Khedira has dropped his wage demands in an attempt to join us.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Metro is reporting that Khedira has dropped his wage demands in an attempt to join us.

:o. Now if that happened I'd be over the moon.
    Forum Member
    Me too. It sounds quite rare that a player would actually do something like that (didnt Arteta take a pay cut in order to join us?)
    Also why would the Ospina deal be off? Everything should have been finalised already.
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until i see the Chambers deal on Arsenal.com i'll remain skeptic.
This discussion has been closed.