The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    But it feels that the sole argument for the Commonwealth Games to be aired on BBC Two is so EastEnders can be on BBC One. People are seemingly happy with a schedule full of cheap factual and repeats just so EastEnders can be on the channel. The whole network does not and should not revolve around EastEnders; it's about the schedule as a whole.

By airing the Games on BBC One, the BBC are allowing BBC Two to go forward with a relatively new look schedule. If the Games had to been on BBC Two I highly doubt BBC One would have promoted a new look schedule at this time of the year.

Though by cutting to the news just now, BBC One has missed out on a Home Nation medal race in the cycling. Oops.

In an ideal world you are right. The schedule should not be just about EE. But, we live in a world where viewers expect the same things to be on at the same time each day. We have become robots. That is why without EE in primetime, BBC1 is likely to be a weaker channel unless they show special events all the time. And, if the CG were on BBC2 and not on BBC1, how do we know for certain that all they would show is cheap filler? We don't. How do we know they wouldn't have screened "Our Girl" across five nights at 9pm? We assume that because the CG is on BBC2, then nothing but filler would be on BBC1. EE is the most crucial link in BBC1's primetime chain. Without it, what else would entice younger viewers to the channel during primetime? EE has been treated abysmally this past three months - it isn't just for the CG, it has been moved or cancelled for The World Cup and Wimbledon too. It should not have been shunted off to BBC2 this week.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Ronant, do you have the shares for the main five channels (all-day and peaktime) for yesterday and last Friday please? Ta. :)

Yesterday -
    All day/Peak (7-10.30)
    BBC1 - 20.3% / 18.7%
    BBC2 - 8.6% / 9.4%
    ITV - 15.6% / 20.3%
    C4 - 4.9% / 5.5%
    C5 - 4.5% / 5.0%

Last Friday -
    BBC1 - 22.8% / 24.4%
    BBC2 - 8.3% / 4.8%
    ITV - 16.3% / 21.1%
    C4 - 4.9% / 5.8%
    C5 - 4.9% / 5.3%
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    In an ideal world you are right. The schedule should not be just about EE. But, we live in a world where viewers expect the same things to be on at the same time each day. We have become robots. That is why without EE in primetime, BBC1 is likely to be a weaker channel unless they show special events all the time. And, if the CG were on BBC2 and not on BBC1, how do we know for certain that all they would show is cheap filler? We don't. How do we know they wouldn't have screened "Our Girl" across five nights at 9pm? We assume that because the CG is on BBC2, then nothing but filler would be on BBC1. EE is the most crucial link in BBC1's primetime chain. Without it, what else would entice younger viewers to the channel during primetime? EE has been treated abysmally this past three months - it isn't just for the CG, it has been moved or cancelled for The World Cup and Wimbledon too. It should not have been shunted off to BBC2 this week.

Even if it has, it'll have the other nine months to be thrust into our faces with constant ads of it and being given all the Prime-time slots, including depressing Xmas Episodes.

Poor little Eastenders how will it survive because a few people can't find the gumption to press the 2 button on the remote.

I'm not watching the Commonwealth until the athletics start, but I don't ever watch EE, so I know which one being on Beeb1 annoys me the most. Ruining schedules for over 30 years. IMHO.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure the BBC planned for the Commonwealth Games to be aired on BBC One very early on and commissioned accordingly. It's worth baring in mind that the BBC's budget is limited now compared to yesteryear so they're being far more careful what airs where and why. By airing the Commonwealth Games on BBC One they have basically saved on two weeks worth of programming which can now be aired later in the year.

I remarked on cheap factual and repeats because, other than In the Club, that's what your fantasy schedule contained. Outside the single Tuesday night drama it was little better than ITV's current effort which has been (rightly, IMO) derided as the worst schedule ever for the leading commercial broadcaster.

I do understand what you are saying in regards to EastEnders but it's a delicate balance that the BBC have to play with. If they planned the Games around EastEnders then the show would continually be shoved later as so many medal events revolve around Home Nations. If they scheduled the Games on BBC Two and carried on as 'normal' on BBC One I think the latter's schedule would look weak. As it is, BBC One is airing an international event while BBC Two has scheduled strong alternative programming. That's all that can be asked for, in my opinion.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Thanks ronant. EastEnders having a big impact on primetime for BBC Two but much less so for all-day share. Channel 5 still snapping at Channel 4's heels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    If the Commonwealths had been on BBC Two, you'd have just had folk complaining that why aren't BBC giving it the same prominence as the Olympics. All home nations are involved so why not give them full coverage on BBC One.

And switching to BBC Two for instance at 8 would be a silly idea. For example, you'd have had a race with British medal interest and halfway through cut to BBC Two and miss the medals, there would be bigger uproar for that than anything else.

And the argument that they didn't give the last Commonwealths this much coverage is irrelevent seeing as it was in Delhi which is in a different timezone when most events where in the early morning-mid morning.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Games would be shown - on BBC2. At the same time EE, the BBC's flagship soap that is used to highlight, enhance and promote the primetime period is protected whilst at the same time giving BBC2 a boost and offering a varied schedule. So, the PBS argument is invalid. Without a strong EE on BBC1 all year round, the overall schedule can be weakened. EE is not yet in a strong enough position to be shunted over to BBC2. It needs protection.
    If a show that's been around for 30 years and has huge viewing figures in it's history can't survive a few episodes at exactly the same time but with the necessary flicking of a button to change the channel - you need to start asking why does it need protecting.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a show that's been around for 30 years and has huge viewing figures in it's history can't survive a few episodes at exactly the same time but with the necessary flicking of a button to change the channel - you need to start asking why does it need protecting.

The BBC have exclusive rights to the Commonwealth Games and as it's in Britain, they need to give it as much coverage as possible. EE might be hurt for eight episodes, but also as it's been a very hot summer so far, it was bound to be down anyway. I think come the autumn it will be back up to 7 million.
    Also I'd be more worried if I was the producer of Emmerdale. Pointless clashes with EE and too many episodes have seen the soap record its worst ratings since the name change 20 years ago, indeed probably since the early seventies. I often wonder if this soap is in terminal decline as it skews old.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Also I'd be more worried if I was the producer of Emmerdale. Pointless clashes with EE and too many episodes have seen the soap record its worst ratings since the name change 20 years ago, indeed probably since the early seventies. I often wonder if this soap is in terminal decline as it skews old.

60.9% of Emmerdale's audience yesterday was over 55, 80.6% over 45. 64.7% women, 65.9% C2DEs.
  • pdwillpdwill Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    The Games would be shown - on BBC2. At the same time EE, the BBC's flagship soap that is used to highlight, enhance and promote the primetime period is protected whilst at the same time giving BBC2 a boost and offering a varied schedule. So, the PBS argument is invalid. Without a strong EE on BBC1 all year round, the overall schedule can be weakened. EE is not yet in a strong enough position to be shunted over to BBC2. It needs protection.

How many viewers though genuinely don't know that EE is on BBC2? It's in its usual slot and on a channel that can produce high ratings in competitive slots (Bake Off and Top Gear prove this).

Is there not an argument that perhaps the casual EE viewer, who watches the show normally because it's "the best of a bad lot", is actively choosing the CG on BBC1 instead as a more attractive viewing option?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders is just filler before prime time anyway.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

The argument isn't invalid when your proposed schedule is filled to the brim with cheap factual and drama repeats purely so that EastEnders can remain on BBC1. And let's face it, your schedule probably wasn't far off the mark of what we'd be getting at this time of year in place of the Commonwealth Games.

For someone like me who series links EastEnders the channel it's on during its live broadcast is an irrelevance. The overnights may be hit for a couple of weeks but in the long term I genuinely don't think it's an issue.

I do think it'd be pretty disgraceful if a UK based Commonwealth Games wasn't on BBC One. It would completely undermine the integrity of the vision for BBC One to be the main viewing destination for major sporting events of this nature.

Once again The Ratings Thread seems to be losing sight of what the BBC is actually for - 5 episodes of EastEnders on BBC Two really isn't going to bring the show to its knees.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darts and the Snooker should be on BBC3 in the evenings when that is on too for full use of those rights.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It often rates better than the other programming so decent 'filler'.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Eastenders, one of the top rating programmes on television, is filler? Good grief, I've heard it all now!
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Something that many people on here have called for regarding Eastenders
    A major Arson Attack is set to take place at the Slater's house leaving one character in a coma.
    Should raise ratings I expect when it airs sometime between August to September.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TOMMY ROT!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julian Fellowes tells the Sunday Express series six of Downton is confirmed for filming next year
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Was a good "EastEnders" episode on Friday so more people likely to come in this week I think.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    06:00 - Breakfast: 1.16m (38.2%)
    12:00 - BBC News: 1.35m (22.1%)
    17:25 - BBC News: 2.96m (29.6%)
    17:35 - BBC Regional News: 3.28m (30.7%)
    22:10 - BBC News: 3.41m (20.5%)
    22:30 - Lottery: 2.30m (14.9%)

Commonwealth Games
    - 09:00 - 1.26m (21.9%)
    - 12:15 - 1.82m (23.9%)
    - 17:45 - 2.57m (21.1%)
    - 19:00 - 3.06m (19.5%)
    - 22:40 - Today at the Games - 1.32m (11.4%)
    - 23:40 - Sportsday - 805k (9.7%)

Other bits:

- F1 Qualifying (BBC Two) - 1.50m (12.4%)

ITV (exc +1 and HD)
    - Twister: 637k (6.2%)
    - ITV Regional News: 1.54m (11.8%)

Commonwealth Games (BBC Three - 14:00 to 19:00) - 200k (2.2%)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Was a good "EastEnders" episode on Friday so more people likely to come in this week I think.

I don't believe millions of people can't find BBC2 on their remotes but I do believe
    they can't be bothered to turn over for EE.
  • JayLee1JayLee1 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh. Breakfast looks low (though the share looks healthy enough). Is it normally that low on a Saturday?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayLee1 wrote: »
    Gosh. Breakfast looks low (though the share looks healthy enough). Is it normally that low on a Saturday?

Yeah, its normally lower at weekends.

...still double its usual week day opposition, though. ;)
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@TVRatingsUK: ITV's most watched programme was Tipping Point with 2.72m/18.0%. Star Wars: Episode II drew 1.50m/9.4%."

Tipping Point. A bland quiz with a bland host. I just don't get it.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 10m
    ITV's most watched programme was Tipping Point with 2.72m/18.0%. Star Wars: Episode II drew 1.50m/9.4%.

By the way, does anyone have Ch4 and Ch5 ratings with +1 for Friday by any chance?
This discussion has been closed.