Options

video editing software help!!

So here's the thing.

I have two pieces of video that i'm trying to edit together.

The problem i have is on the audio of one of videos. When played back (i'm using windows live movie maker) the audio is very faint, to the point that it sounds like a whisper.

When i opened up the same piece of video in VLC player, it played back the same, until i noticed in the audio drop downs that i could change to audio track 2. Suddenly the audio was clear as the proverbial bell! So i know the audio is there...somewhere!

What i'm after then, i guess, is if anyone knows a free piece of editing software that can allow me to access this audio channel so i can edit these two pieces of video together.

I should warn you that i have very little experience in this whole editing malarkey, so i don't think i could handle anything too tekkie.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Freemake Video Converter to convert my videos to other formats.

I noticed that when you add a video file, it allows you to select the audio stream. If you select the 2nd audio stream & then save the file in the same format as the original, then I assume that the 2nd audio stream will become the default (although I have never tried this myself).

Make sure the audio stream is the one you want by playing the video in edit mode (you can also do basic editing in this mode).

When saving the file, change it from the default, as I think it will overwrite your original file.

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    what container are the files in like .mp4 or .mkv ?

it's trivial to change the default audio stream, jut need to know a bit more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the thing is, they were recorded as MOV. files. But when i tried to play them back through quicktime, there was no video, just audio.

So then , funnily enough, i found Freemake and used it to convert to whatever the microsoft file system is (WMV?), thinking it would be easier to edit in WIndows Live Movie Maker. Which it was, except for the whole audio thing.

I've since attempted to cut out the audio of one side completely and just replaced with text (it's a question and answer thing). But unfortunately i've now been told that the audio that wasn't loud enough initially can now be heard, albeit through headphones, and still quite dull, but noticeable.

Sometimes i think you just can't win...!
  • Options
    chappiechappie Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    if you can get it on a DVD & have a DVD player & a DVD recorder available you can copy it across leaving the sound lead unplugged,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Free video editing software called Avidemux will do what you want, with great documentation, wiki is here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Try Microsoft Movie Maker, you can editing your movie easier.
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use WMM. It's very straight forward (which I need)!