Options

Advertising pop - ups

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Once I access a website on my laptop, advertising for that site, i.e. cosmetics, pop up on other sites; when I came onto DS, items of EH skincare were advertised and I had just been checking prices of Emma Hardie's range. Is there any way of stopping this without buying software to do it? It's just like spam mail, an invasion of privacy. Obviously the computer remembers which sites the user has been on. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your browser should be blocking most pop ups
    Use Ad Block Plus to stop the rest
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    This will also help, I get very little advertising garbage on my computers.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Remember to check it every month as it doesn't update automatically.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Once I access a website on my laptop, advertising for that site, i.e. cosmetics, pop up on other sites; when I came onto DS, items of EH skincare were advertised and I had just been checking prices of Emma Hardie's range. Is there any way of stopping this without buying software to do it? It's just like spam mail, an invasion of privacy. Obviously the computer remembers which sites the user has been on. Thanks.

This have been going on for years, it is all to do with cookies, well most of the time anyway, large advertising companies, one of them being Google and there are loads more, will stick a cookie onto your computer with a unique number that will stay with you until you clear cookies.

This is how they track people and show them adverts they think they may be interested in.

There are many way to stop it, the simplest way is to block third party cookies, you still get adverts, but no tracking.

You can get third party software that cost you nothing, Ad-block is one, I don't like that one as it blocks adverts and I got nothing against adverts, just the tracking.

Abine produces DO not Track+, which is great with firefox or Chrome, not sure if they got a version for Internet Explorer. DNT+ put cookies onto your machine, but they are set to zero, so the advertising companies know that you do not want to be tracked. All these advertising companies have got opt outs, but without something like DNT+ it is difficult to get them all.

Ghostery is another one, It don't work so well on chrome, but firefox it is fine.

Click and clean is also a browser add on, that will delete all cookies when you close the browser and also the cache. Ok you can do that with browser settings, but I like click and clean.

Myself I use Dragon browser ( chrome clone) DNT+ and click & clean.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Will have a look at all options.
  • Options
    WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I use AdBlock Plus as has already been mentioned but also AdMuncher. Both work well and don't have any popups.