[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try and avoid French .

Seat Ibiza ? FR model looks the part in race blue :cool:
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    If the OP is bored of the Pugeot he'll hate the 1.0 Yaris! My ex had one, I used to get bored sitting in the passenger seat. The digital speedometer made it even more apparent how slow you were going.

TBH I can scarcely think of a vehicle more tedious to drive than a modern Peugeot -- an undynamic sponge-pudding of a car. The earlier Pugs had a certain raw, unrefined charm to them, but the newer ones are like wading through porridge.

A Yaris would be an improvement.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    TBH I can scarcely think of a vehicle more tedious to drive than a modern Peugeot -- an undynamic sponge-pudding of a car. The earlier Pugs had a certain raw, unrefined charm to them, but the newer ones are like wading through porridge.

A Yaris would be an improvement.
    I had a 308 diesel hire car last year and it was ok to drive. I like my Fiesta much better though.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vauxhall Corsa. They will run and run for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a 308 diesel hire car last year and it was ok to drive. I like my Fiesta much better though.

OK. That's about as positive as it is possible to be with a 308.

Heh. Corsa -- the car with the camshafts made of cheese.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And give you years of dull motoring

Vauxhall - for those who don't have a passion for cars
  • Options
    Forum Member

Years ago I had a Hyundai Accent -- even that was more interesting to drive than the Corsa I had occasional use of at work :D
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    groan

vauxhall boring

get a vectra or astra vxr, that will soon wake you up

french, dont buy, unreliable

:yawn:

some people really need to think before they speak
  • Options
    Forum Member
    groan

vauxhall boring

lol.

Yes, Vauxhall make a few decent models.

Most of the range though is utter dreck. The (bog-standard) Vectra in particular was the single most drab and undynamic vehicle it has ever been my misfortune to drive. The Corsa is no better.

The Astra is okay I suppose, but nothing special.

Any manufacturer can spruce up naff models and make them interesting. Jeez, even Nissan managed to turn the Sunny of all things into one of the greatest hot hatches ever built (and much better-handling than the Astra VXR). It means nothing if the rest of the range is crap.

As for French cars, the problem isn't so much the reliability, it's the fact that they're "pretty" for pretty's sake, forgetting everything else that makes a car good (dynamics, build quality, logical design and yes, reliability, which is average at best in French cars).
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    A common myth.
    I've never had any issues with the VWs I've had. Golf, Golf Estate, and a Passat.

So it may well be a "myth", but my experience with the marque backs the myth up. At least as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my polo tdi just keeps on going and going. Its nothing fast or clever, but (and i hate to revert to this sort of thing), whenever else i have breaks down, or doesnt work well (but works as it should), i always think, ffs If only everything in life were as reliable as a Volkswagen.....and yea i really have thought this a few times!

infact its got to the point now where, even though its dull to drive and not even that great to drive in traffic, i am not so sure i want a different brand next time, even though my situation might force me to, my fear is if i pick a vauxhall it will be in the shop more than on the road (like my last one, and like our last works astravan cdti), and if i bought a French car it would most likely breakdown on me or let the rain in. I dont even rate our newer Series 2 Vectra at work, even though its got more toys theres a cheap feel to it (and not a cheap car) and ilogical design to where things are placed, and a lack of design thought on things like controls, would never take one of them over a Golf of the same age. Put it this way, in the Vectra you have to find all the buttoms, but in the Golf you just know where they will be and they fall to hand.

I guess for balance i would say the polo has not been 100% perfect. Had a few things done, and there are a few weak points on it (windscreen wiper/washer jet design) which should be better, but these things are minor. Its not like having wheel bearings replaced on a 3 year old vauxhall, or an A/C pump replaced, Alarm system failures, or fuel needles which have a tolerance of 3ft, 6in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see we are getting the usual remarks about cars, but be warned, if on a budget and with high insurance you cant really have fun (meaning FAST) as this would push the insurance sky high, and the economy would drop through the floor, plus other higher than normal charges like the VED (road tax).

If you are constrained by issues like this you have to buy a car with your head, not your heart. Sorry.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I have had three brand new Corsa's and all three of them left me stranded. My (then) company abandoned them in the end and used Nissan Micra's. Now they really did run and run. :)
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Smiffy wrote: »
    If you can find one of those on a "newer than 08 plate" for £3,500-£5,000.00 can you buy me about a dozen please???
    ;)

:D Didn't read OP's post properly
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    I've never had any issues with the VWs I've had. Golf, Golf Estate, and a Passat.

So it may well be a "myth", but my experience with the marque backs the myth up. At least as far as I'm concerned.

In the 2012 What Car? reliability survey, VW came a very lowly 20th place.

Most mechanics will tell you that the good old VW reliability line is a long way from being factual.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I have had three brand new Corsa's and all three of them left me stranded. My (then) company abandoned them in the end and used Nissan Micra's. Now they really did run and run. :)

The modern Vauxhalls are nowhere near as reliable as the older models. They used to be pretty much bullet proof, but not anymore.

Japanese cars are usually pretty solid with Honda being the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    groan

vauxhall boring

french, dont buy, unreliable

:yawn:

some people really need to think before they speak

So to be woken up I need to drive the chav's specification? No thanks.
  • Options
    MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May stretch your budget to get an 08 plate but you may just manage a Honda Civic. As others have mentioned insurance is going to be an issue. However shopping around can save some cash, 21 year old I know was being quoted 3-5k by all the comparison sites for a 1.6 auto golf, eventually managed £900 from Aviva!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even £900 for insurance sounds a lot to me! My insurance is about £370 a year.

I would hope the exception to the vauxhall poor reliability would be their little MPV, the Agila as its a suzuki under the skin complete with suzuki 1.2 engine. I dont know how much vauxhall mess with the suzuki parts to make it theirs, hopefully not much (!), but i am fairly sure the diesel version uses the same same 1.3cdti as per the Corsa's, which is a Fiat sourced engine, which doesnt bode well if true, and its not too much more economical than the Agila petrol's anyway, so avoid the diesel.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Dull motoring?" I don't give a shit as long as its reliable and never let's me down;)
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    08, 58 or 09 plate astras can be had for £5k .... eg http://www.akgroupluton.co.uk/used-cars/vauxhall-astra-1-6i-16v-design-115-3dr-luton-201306501649833 - that's a high spec one & cheaper than corsa's as I found myself a year ago!
  • Options
    -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Focus ST awesome car for the money
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    even £900 for insurance sounds a lot to me! My insurance is about £370 a year.

I would hope the exception to the vauxhall poor reliability would be their little MPV, the Agila as its a suzuki under the skin complete with suzuki 1.2 engine. I dont know how much vauxhall mess with the suzuki parts to make it theirs, hopefully not much (!), but i am fairly sure the diesel version uses the same same 1.3cdti as per the Corsa's, which is a Fiat sourced engine, which doesnt bode well if true, and its not too much more economical than the Agila petrol's anyway, so avoid the diesel.

I would kill to have to pay £370 for insurance! I had to pay £1900 for the first two years of driving!

I really like the look of the Astras and i also like the Mazda2, has anyone had any experience with this car?
  • Options
    -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    I would kill to have to pay £370 for insurance! I had to pay £1900 for the first two years of driving!

I really like the look of the Astras and i also like the Mazda2, has anyone had any experience with this car?

Ouch i have a 340bhp Focus and only pay £400 fully comp
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    It would seem that the criterion is primarily to enhance the OPs image! My best suggestion is to save up for a BMW coupe - and/or buy a lottery ticket! ;)