Shop-bought food you prefer to homemade one

2»

Comments

• Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Try grating the cheese and using mayo mixed with mustard instead of marge. S'pretty good:)

Ah, thanks for the tip. Marge? LOL.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More votes for:
    Rotisserie chicken (i don't know what they do to it but god it's lovely)
    Fish and chips
    Heinz tomato soup (can never replicate it!)
    Hellmans mayo (I suck at making it)

Also:
    Sausage rolls (I can never get the "greggs" taste)
    proper crusty rolls (bread I can make but crusty rolls never come out like shop bought)
    Cornish pasties
    Branston pickle (again, I've made my own but it doesn't hold a torch that that taste delight)

I make my own yoghurt now using easiyo, bloody yummy, far better than shop bought
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,942
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've found the opposite. With all the hooha over heathy food in the last few years and the 'salt police' as Rick Stein refers to them a lot of food has reduced the salt content and many of them lack flavour.

I often have to add a dash or splash of cupboard essentials to food to enjoy them - e,g, soy sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, ketchup

Yeah, some of the ready meals are completely tasteless now. Nearly all food needs seasoning.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,942
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    I recently found that shop bought yoghurt has salt in it. Why?. So now I have to make my own. Bit annoying really.

Probably makes it taste better, most things do with a bit of salt.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    More votes for:
    Rotisserie chicken (i don't know what they do to it but god it's lovely)
    Fish and chips
    Heinz tomato soup (can never replicate it!)
    Hellmans mayo (I suck at making it)

Also:
    Sausage rolls (I can never get the "greggs" taste)
    proper crusty rolls (bread I can make but crusty rolls never come out like shop bought)
    Cornish pasties
    Branston pickle (again, I've made my own but it doesn't hold a torch that that taste delight)

I make my own yoghurt now using easiyo, bloody yummy, far better than shop bought

Agree with you on that one. I have an electric yogurt maker from Lake Land. But recently have been using a claypot to make it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably makes it taste better, most things do with a bit of salt.

Most things do. :)But IMO yogurt tastes better without salt. High blood pressure runs in my family so I try to control it by not having too much salt. Daily salt intake should not exceed 6 grams a day. With everything containing so much salt, I do have to watch it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASDA do a nice sauce bramley apple and cider pour-over sauce that I love. Whenever I try to replicate it, it's never the same.

Pizza, my base always tastes very doughy.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Nickelback wrote: »
    I did some oven baked chips years ago, they turned out lovely, but these days they are a bit hit and miss, but mostly they are awful..Lol :)

I leave them to defrost before cooking - then I can cook on high as it doesn't dry them put too much. Thick cut 'home Fries' are the best IMO.:)

I use a tray that has holes for chips etc - or a pizza tray as it allows the heat to penetrate underneath too - even a cheap one from Wilkinsons etc is fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicken Nuggets. I know they're processed but they taste soooo good. Tried to make them at home - wasn't the same although the home ones were nice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home made Greek style yogurt is so much better than shop bought. I have just made some today.
    One of my best attempts.