S4C
    BBC 1 HD (regional)
    BBC 2 HD
    BBC 3 HD
    BBC 4 HD
    BBC News HD
    CBBC HD
    Cbeebies HD

thats 13 SD PSBs and 7 HD PSBs so a total of 20 and thats constant at the moment.

What would you call RBs then now they are on the EPG?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »

What would you call RBs then now they are on the EPG?

Temporary channels as the BBC have stated.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Temporary channels as the BBC have stated.

that conflicts with what technologist was saying though that they aren't channels, so I ask again, if they aren't channels what are they?

also the new temp head of distribution at the BBC said that they are working with sky to keep RB 1 on the EPG permanently, so that will further confuse the issue, as that wont be seen as temporary!
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that conflicts with what technologist was saying though that they aren't channels, so I ask again, if they aren't channels what are they?
    Bottom line is, they are channels.

I assume the BBC calls them "streams" to avoid needing a Ofcom licence for them to broadcast, and to appease those who don't want the BBC to launch any new channels.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are missing the point of section 310 ....
    And how it is implemented.
    There are about 16 PSB channels in content on the EPG and yellow button at the moment
    And then the HD versions of BBC channels which takes you to 22
    And then may be another 3 HD channel slots .
    101 to 105 looks almost trivial ....

You would like all PSB channel listed before the other channels,that would not be fair to the the pay channel pushing them down third page of the EPG,would you all so like all the FTA channels before the pay channels:o
  • TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has BT sports swapped it HD and SD channels in EPG

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    You would like all PSB channel listed before the other channels,that would not be fair to the the pay channel pushing them down third page of the EPG,would you all so like all the FTA channels before the pay channels:o

No I do not ...... Note what I said on "how it is implemented...."

BBC one certainly needs to be the first channel.
    But BBC alba need not be in the top 20 or so,,,

Look at how the BBC children's Channels are located in the kids section of the sky EPG ... Or the HD versions of the same channels on the DTT EPG

And sky's yellow button

This is what leaves all broadcasters affected by PSB HD channel swaps and thus ofcom being subject to judicial review by almost any channel ,,,...

The BBC RB are not channels as these would require PVT and MIA ..
    And the case for these is not likely to be successful.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I do not ...... Note what I said on how it is implemented....

BBC one certainly needs to be the first channel.
    But BBC alba need not be in the top 20 or so,,,

Look at how the BBC children's Channels are located in the kids section if the EPG ...

This is what leaves all broadcasters affected by PSB HD channel swaps and thus ofcom being subject to judicial review by almost any channel ,,,...

The BBC RB are not channels as these would require PVT and MIA ..
    And the case for these is not likely to be successful.

So you would like the 2 BBC kids channels on 601,602?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    So you would like the 2 BBC kids channels on 601,602?

Not really .... That is the meaning of due prominence ...
    On the first page may be nice.
    But not an automatic assumption that a PSB channel is first in the list .

As one PSB channel when available has single ( yellow ) button access does not mean that it should be BBC one !
  • In_LiverpoolIn_Liverpool Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I see the Holiday & Cruise Channel are advertising their new Channel No. 256 !
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Holiday & Cruise Channel are advertising their new Channel No. 256 !

Should be in the shopping area...
  • In_LiverpoolIn_Liverpool Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Should be in the shopping area...

Why? They have less telle-shopping than Bloomberg and that's in the News section!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? They have less telle-shopping than Bloomberg and that's in the News section!

Really? The entire channel features presenter trying to sell cruises?

Just because the programming isn't called Teleshopping doesn't mean it's not selling anything!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Really? The entire channel features presenter trying to sell cruises?

Just because the programming isn't called Teleshopping doesn't mean it's not selling anything!

I think you will find it was a "tongue in cheek" remark, if you read it again.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to have an abomination of an epg and spend months redesigning it and turn it into an even worse abomination than it was before. We shall soon find out.

Find the average village idiot and get him to create an epg for Sky, could he create anything worse than the one we have?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Is it possible to have an abomination of an epg and spend months redesigning it and turn it into an even worse abomination than it was before. We shall soon find out.

Find the average village idiot and get him to create an epg for Sky, could he create anything worse than the one we have?

When will it ever get through to you - there is no re-organisation of channels by Sky allowed within the EPG. There are four basic rules
    1 Prominence for PSBs
    2 Sorted into genres
    3 Order within those genres is strictly "first come first served"
    4 New channels go the end of their genre unless they are purchasing an EPG slot from another broadcaster
    Channel order swapping is only allowed with mutual agreement (and usually financial recompense) between the two channels - unless both channels are owned by one broadcaster who is free to swap his channels around as he pleases.

Stop living in a fantasy land and live with it.
  • StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky has just published an updated version of the document which describes the policies it applies when allocating EPG listings. This is after consultation with broadcasters which began in March and as a result of which a few small changes have been made to Sky's. original proposals.

The EPG reshuffle on 19 August will implement most of the original proposals, except for the complexity involved in closing and then removing the Lifestyle genre, which requires new software to be loaded on Sky boxes (which has of course been happening). The Lifestyle genre will finally disappear as a separate tab some time in the autumn. Channels currently in Lifestyle will however adopt their new channel numbers at the same time as the EPG reshuffle.

The other changes in the Listings Methodology relate to HD Channel Swap, and the Local TV launch queue.

The Listings Methodology document is public, but deeply buried on the Sky Corporate website. Start at http://corporate.sky.com/about_sky/policies_and_regulator_information and then choose "Regulatory Information, then download the relevant document.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the "where's all the lifestyle channels gone?" On the Sky Help Forum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky has just published an updated version of the document which describes the policies it applies when allocating EPG listings. This is after consultation with broadcasters which began in March and as a result of which a few small changes have been made to Sky's. original proposals.

The EPG reshuffle on 19 August will implement most of the original proposals, except for the complexity involved in closing and then removing the Lifestyle genre, which requires new software to be loaded on Sky boxes (which has of course been happening). The Lifestyle genre will finally disappear as a separate tab some time in the autumn. Channels currently in Lifestyle will however adopt their new channel numbers at the same time as the EPG reshuffle.

The other changes in the Listings Methodology relate to HD Channel Swap, and the Local TV launch queue.

The Listings Methodology document is public, but deeply buried on the Sky Corporate website. Start at http://corporate.sky.com/about_sky/policies_and_regulator_information and then choose "Regulatory Information, then download the relevant document.

I read that document but I couldnt see any difference in the HD swap policy from what it has been so far?
    What has changed?
  • StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that document but I couldnt see any difference in the HD swap policy from what it has been so far?
    What has changed?

I've read it several times, and still struggle to understand the impact of the the changes in para 3.4 . Sky's consultation suggested that these changes were "enhancing HD swap", and seems to be saying that viewers who don't even a subscription to an HD channel will now see the HD swap effect in their EPG (though that's not to say that they will be able to VIEW the HD channels). I guess these viewers will more easily be able to see what they're missing (in HD).

There's a lot of words then to deal with the complications of channels where the SD is free, but the HD is not, or where the SD and HD channels are in different Pay packages, plus the complications of regionalisation.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole thing is a really complicated way of saying the HD swap will no longer be an all-or-nothing affair triggered by an HD subscription, and instead it will be possible (with cooperation from the broadcasters) to enable HD swapping for only those channels where you have access to the corresponding HD version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    I think the whole thing is a really complicated way of saying the HD swap will no longer be an all-or-nothing affair triggered by an HD subscription, and instead it will be possible (with cooperation from the broadcasters) to enable HD swapping for only those channels where you have access to the corresponding HD version.

So basically if you dont have ether the family pack or the old HD pack you will still get FTA HD channels swapped if you have a HD box? is that what you mean?
    This would mean in reality any swaps the BBC have made and STV and UTV, will happen if you have a HD box with no subs or SD subs! Its about time this happened!

If it means on the other hand the swap happens on HD boxes for all channels I can see Sky getting complaints that SD only customers with HD boxes have lost channels!
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically if you dont have ether the family pack or the old HD pack you will still get FTA HD channels swapped if you have a HD box? is that what you mean?
    This would mean in reality any swaps the BBC have made and STV and UTV, will happen if you have a HD box with no subs or SD subs! Its about time this happened!

That's what I think they mean, yes - basically making it a lot more granular. That's the only type of change I can think of that remotely makes sense.

Swapping inaccessible channels into the prime EPG positions would likely generate a huge amount of complaints and lost customers, and probably some regulatory attention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    New Sky Sports EPG positions announced in this article - http://www1.skysports.com/other-sports/news/11095/9390945/sky-sports-news-hq-will-launch-on-august-12-on-the-new-channel-of-401

Sky Sports News HQ - 401
    Sky Sports 1 - 402
    Sky Sports 2 - 403
    Sky Sports 3 - 404
    Sky Sports 4 - 405
    Sky Sports 5 - 406
    Sky Sports F1 - 407