Nearly 20 Years On And Still Thousands Of People Break This Dog Law

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought I'd share my thoughts about this on this forum. The Dog Fouling Of Land Act 1996 which came into power back when my grandma had a sheep dog which passed away in August 2000. She used to always clean up after it once the law was passed. Since I developed a condition called OCD I've found it very unclean if people let their dog foul. Now after nearly 2 decades there are still thousands of people that don't take any notice despite them been 1000 signs in every town and 100 in every village now telling them not to although a lot do clean it up now. The councilors only suggestions seem to be if anyone reports it lets stick even more signs up till all the streets in the UK are flooded with them which they think will get the message through to lazy dog owners eventually. One council that took this very seriously was East Riding Of Yorkshire which created their own law by doing an order of 2009 which was the time the cleaner neighborhoods act came into power. As a result again they stuck some 100'000 signs all over East Yorkshire towns and villages.

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much more they can do really, they made is an offence, even banned dogs from areas.

Your mental health issues are your problem, you really think that a stretch of pavement free of dog poo has no cat/bird/fox/human excretia on it?

What more do you want to be done?
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Not much more they can do really, they made is an offence, even banned dogs from areas.

Your mental health issues are your problem, you really think that a stretch of pavement free of dog poo has no cat/bird/fox/human excretia on it?

Sorry I shouldn't have brought this issue up on here as I've never seen it been mentioned on DS.
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the owner of 4 dogs this probably annoys me even more that you! I pick up after my dogs and it drives me crazy when people don't as it gets us all a bad reputation.
    My particular pet hates are when people let their dogs poo on beaches and either don't pick up or just kick sand over it - filthy - especially as its so easy to pick it up on sand. And of course people who take no notice of where their dogs are so they don't see them poo.
    One day they'll get us banned from all parks beaches etc.

Pre Cameron cuts our council made a real effort and employed lots of neighbourhood wardens who patrolled council parks and playing fields and lots of people got fined for not picking up. If people wouldn't give their details they'd follow them home or ask other people if they knew where they lived, I know it sounds a bit invasive but it did work but since the cuts that's all gone. They checked or overflowing bins and that kids play areas weren't vandalised etc and did a great job.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even before the laws changed I picked up I don't want to step in it I don't ant the kids stepping in it so I take bags everywhere with me.

I complained a while ago about fouling locally and next morning the pretend policeman and 5 council workers including dog warden were on to it, they stopped and spoke to all owners they saw not picking up fines were given and it was a lovely clean day. Next day - nothing and nothing since either so it quickly reverted to a mess again :( what worries me as a dog owner who is responsible is will we soon be banned from this area altogether just because some people refuse to pick up ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had someone let their dog foul on my door step as the dog went up my path to sniff bins, they usually just let it crap on the pavement. Really annoys me as I always think that people will think its my boy, even though he's fussy and wont go on the pavement.

I've now had to set a camera up so if I catch them I can give it to the local council.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lovely playing field 2 mins away from me with an enclosed area with kids swings etc and a full sized football pitch in the middle which the local amateur league uses at the weekend. So why won't I walk the dogs there? because it's covered in poo and either me or one of the dogs always gets it on us. I've felt really embarrassed in the past walking my dogs round the edge while the footballers and supporters line up across the pitch and walk the length of it poo bags in hand. When I did go on there I always put more poo in the bins than my dogs produced.

My friend has been sworn at and threatened for asking people to pick it up when she's seen their dogs do one. I actually think that if people won't behave responsibly then dogs should be banned from it, which isn't something I say lightly.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    riversmum wrote: »
    As the owner of 4 dogs this probably annoys me even more that you! I pick up after my dogs and it drives me crazy when people don't as it gets us all a bad reputation.
    My particular pet hates are when people let their dogs poo on beaches and either don't pick up or just kick sand over it - filthy - especially as its so easy to pick it up on sand. And of course people who take no notice of where their dogs are so they don't see them poo.
    One day they'll get us banned from all parks beaches etc.

Pre Cameron cuts our council made a real effort and employed lots of neighbourhood wardens who patrolled council parks and playing fields and lots of people got fined for not picking up. If people wouldn't give their details they'd follow them home or ask other people if they knew where they lived, I know it sounds a bit invasive but it did work but since the cuts that's all gone. They checked or overflowing bins and that kids play areas weren't vandalised etc and did a great job.

As a dog "owner" I do pick up and always have the necessarily paraphernalia with me. As someone else mentioned I hate it when I see it, as it makes me feel guilty, even though I pick up!

I'd like to pick you up on one thing though - It's not Cameron's cuts it's your local authorities cuts. Yes central government may have reduced grants to councils, but it's still the councils who make the decisions and prioritise spending. No doubt the council's corporate hospitality budget is still intact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under the labour govt the council had the money to pay for people to enforce the no dog fouling but they've had their budgets cut so much since the condems came to power that jobs like that have been cut. Yes the council chooses the cuts but the govt cut their budget.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are certain times I won't pick-up but the vast majority of the time I do pick-up after my two. I will admit that it drives me insane to see all of the piles that haven't been picked up. Not only are they potential health hazards to humans and non-humans but they can ruin footwear and (as mentioned already) can lead to dogs being banned from certain areas. There are lots of grassy areas near me that are no-go areas thanks to all the dog mess. I have been on to the council a number of times but they do jack squat about it. >:(
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's disgusting not to clear up after your dog.

If you have a dog you have to accept it's a part of looking after them.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a dog owner I don't think dogs should be taken to 'toilet' on playing fields or where people sit to picnic. For a start you you might get the occasional sloppy poo which is just impossible to pick up. But even a firm poo will leave tiny traces.
    But also please pick up if you are in the country. Dog faeces may contain bacteria which is not harmful to the dog but if transmitted to livestock - direct or via foxes - can actually kill the livestock. Not to mention it possibly containing infection which can spread to other dogs.
    Finally - in the interests of fairness and equality - cat owners should be expected to clean up cat vomit and faeces after their cats and also be responsible for damages where seedlings are destroyed if they dig up a bed.
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a dog owner I don't think dogs should be taken to 'toilet' on playing fields or where people sit to picnic. For a start you you might get the occasional sloppy poo which is just impossible to pick up. But even a firm poo will leave tiny traces.
    But also please pick up if you are in the country. Dog faeces may contain bacteria which is not harmful to the dog but if transmitted to livestock - direct or via foxes - can actually kill the livestock. Not to mention it possibly containing infection which can spread to other dogs.
    Finally - in the interests of fairness and equality - cat owners should be expected to clean up cat vomit and faeces after their cats and also be responsible for damages where seedlings are destroyed if they dig up a bed.

People tend to let their dog mess more on grassy verges which is why people have to walk on the path.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dog shit and kids - they always find each other. I've been cleaning up after my dogs for about 40 years now. From being a little girl I was taught to clean up after the dogs when you had them out a walk.

It gets on my wick when people walk up the bridle path (runs the back of my garden) to the local primary school with their kids and dogs and when the dogs have a shit they don't clean it up. There is a nursery at the school so we are talking little kids who could touch , step in or fall in dog shit. The people who make the most noise are the ones who walk their dogs to school with the kids but "don't see" the dog push out a huge log so they don't pick up.

I've waved,coughed and shoved a doggy doo bag in the face of a few people who "didn't realise their dog was having or just did a Number 2".

One of the beaches near me where you can take your dog all year round has bag dispensers in the car park - so there really is no excuse for dog crap on the beach.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OTOH we've been shouted at by people to "clear up" after our bitch has been squatting for a pee.
    They don't seem to realise that bitches don't cock a leg.
    Or perhaps they expect us to carry blotting paper as well as poo bags.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

You are completely out of order matey! How dare you say that disliking dog shit on the pavement is tantamount to a mental health issue.

I always clear up but I'm angry and disgusted by those who don't.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I shouldn't have brought this issue up on here as I've never seen it been mentioned on DS.

You have nothing to apologise for, Muze does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I go on my morning walk I come back and some skank has let their dog curl one out on the pavement near mine, last week it was actually on my doorstep. I caught the person yesterday and he knew I was staring at him because he didn't clean up (still didn't pick it up) so I took a photo of him, he wasn't impressed. I'm going to keep doing it and handing them to the environmental health agency. I get paranoid that people will think its my dog just because I live on that road.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we always pick up after our two girls, but there was one time when one of them went close to where another dog and been and if it had anyone with it, they hadn't picked it up, but I was accused by a passer by of not picking it up and threatened to phone the dog warden, so I showed her the bag of poo I was carrying and said if I picked this one up why would I not pick up another one if it was my dogs.

Then another time when I was in Blackpool visiting relatives (The only reason I'd ever be in Blackpool) and one of my girls stooped for a pee, the way girls do, and a bloke ran out of his house shouting at me to pick up after her, and that he had a photo to prove that it was me and my dog that had done it. Iv asked him if he'd let me have a mop cos that was the only way I could clean up pee, he said that it wasn't pee cos the dog hadn't cocked it's leg, I couldn't believe I had to try to explain to him that female dogs don''t cock their legs. Then again, it was Blackpool, so I should have expected that
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    OTOH we've been shouted at by people to "clear up" after our bitch has been squatting for a pee.
    They don't seem to realise that bitches don't cock a leg.
    Or perhaps they expect us to carry blotting paper as well as poo bags.

Me too!

The city of Ottawa has such a problem with dog fouling (or rather with the owners not picking up) that they've started DNA testing in hopes of catching repeat offenders. I'm not sure how it's working out, but it might not be a bad idea.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are completely out of order matey! How dare you say that disliking dog shit on the pavement is tantamount to a mental health issue.

To be fair, it was the OP who said he had a mental health disorder.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you've either misunderstood Muze or misread the OP.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh it has been mentioned before. (I will bet 99% of thread topics have been started in the past!)

I had a rather lengthy thread when for about a year, some ignorant shit bag used to allow their dog to shit on the gravel at the front of our house, every day, for a year. I never did catch them, hopefully the owner died.

I have three dogs and pick up after them, it's part of owning a dog you have to get used to it. Fortunately mine are three small dogs so its only three small poos.

WRT not letting your dog crap on the grass. I can't control when my dogs have a dump. I can pull them off someone garden or out of the middle of the road, but if Im in the park throwing the ball and one decides to squat, I am not going to stop my dog doing its business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long back from a holiday in Italy. .Lots and lots of dogs of all shapes and sizes, Many of the owners were German and Austrians enjoying the Lakes. We saw just one dollop of doggy-do the entire 11 days. There were bag dispenser/bins and all the hounds were on leads. Respect for the environment and others seemed to be the norm. But then we saw no chewing gum , no ciggie butts in fact no litter anywhere even after World cup revellries and market days. We Brits are just mucky pups.