IPTV options

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd like to be able to stream content to my TV.. easy ... BUT what I would like to have access to are things like 4OD or the iplayer, plus also maybe streams from ustream or bitgravity.

Anybody aware of such a device that could do such a thing - e.g. could a tiscali TV box (without the subscription) do this.

I'd prefer it not to be a pc.

Comments

• hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wii can do BBC iplayer, youtube and Nintendo "game TV news", but not ITV player or 4od.

I understand some Freesat, PS3 and maybe xbox boxes now do iplayer.
    Fetch TV has a working but unauthorised iplayer!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's fine. I'm thinking more in terms of something I could perhaps plug into an upstairs TV.

The US seems to have options such as roku or popcorn players but they seem to have dedicated services running off them.

I wonder if there's any such thing in the uk - I guess that even a wi fi "browser box" that would plug into a scart tv that could play flash would even do the trick.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rlnc722 wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any such thing in the uk - I guess that even a wi fi "browser box" that would plug into a scart tv that could play flash would even do the trick.
    The wii can do this with Opera and flash, and has a fully supported BBC iplayer app!
    Fetch TV uses moded Netgem boxes, but is more expensive, except for the 7000 model (£130!) which does not have wifi or a fully supported iplayer!
    http://www.fetchtv.dslshop.co.uk/smartbox7000.aspx

Notice the Ruku Soundbridge is now sold in the UK, so hopefully the new low cost video player will be on sale here sometime maybe with BBC iplayer!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's the skyplayer on xbox which shows iplayer and heaps of other channels. Buying an x box or wii seems quite extreme...but fun! If you do find something good let us know! I'm thinking an AV cable jobbie to a laptop may be easier...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The acer aspire Revo:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167154

This version has Windows 7 MCE for £200. You will be able to do everything you want with that. Install TunerFree MCE.

If you already have a Windows license, you can get the Linux version for £150.