Curling; World Juniors, Women's, Men's 2013

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    He also didn't travel with them to the Perth Masters early this year,they said it was due to family reasons. I didn't know until tonight it was Ewen MacDonald who skipped Ulsrud's team to the Norwegian Championships though!

p.s. Eurosport will never play fair with curling.

Yes - Ewen played for them in the Norwegian championships at the end of February although then Ulsrud sat out for family reasons and Nergard played. Just found it odd Nergard wasn't playing - he must either be ill or have family problems as he was very much Thomas's right hand man in third.

http://teamulsrud.com/

PS I know we moan about the Eurosport coverage - but who else would cover it. Its just their coverage is so annoying - and could be better with a little thought! I for one could do with less Davis Cup tennis highlights from Idaho on Sunday night - the tie may be over anyway after day 2 - and live coverage of instead of the world curling final at 11pm UK time instead of the highlights of the final being shown on Monday lunchtime when I am at work! And I am a tennis fan - but its a question of priorities as curling only gets one world championship a year and Scotland may be playing.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot off the press....well, Facebook...Annette Norburg is retiring at the end of the season. So, some skip-shuffling there, or will Cissy take over and add a player? That seems the most likely outcome!
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Hot off the press....well, Facebook...Annette Norburg is retiring at the end of the season. So, some skip-shuffling there, or will Cissy take over and add a player? That seems the most likely outcome!

What a pity – but Anette probably realises that the current Swedish coach has no plans to pick her rink for Sochi next year no matter how superior she is in the big events compared to Sigfriddson and co. I will never forget how psyched out Cheryl Bernard to win the Olympics in Vancouver when it seemed all was lost with two ends to go – it was awesome.

Sad news for the event – but good news for Eve and the GB team!

Murdoch’s rink lost against the US on the final stone in the 10th end – given they still have to play Sweden and Norway its hard to predict if they will make the playoffs.

I saw most of the overnight match between Canada and Norway – the former being just too good in the end. There was also an unfortunate Cambridge cox style incident. The Scots were playing in the next lane and I distinctly heard one of the Canadian team say something extremely rude about them (including the f word) at the start of the 6th end – which wasn’t bleeped out on the player.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »

Sad news, it looks like as Lindholm has made it clear that they've got no chance of going to Sochi she's called it a day now to allow the other three to plan ahead for 2018. Shame on him to be honest.
    During the spring are now a few exciting weeks where we'll sit down and discuss how we want to shape the new team for our future venture the Olympics 2018. The main focus is to find someone with the same joy and motivation as us. A person who fits into the group and who want to invest and develop with us. We feel fully motivated for next season (s) and the challenges ahead!
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - Ewen played for them in the Norwegian championships at the end of February although then Ulsrud sat out for family reasons and Nergard played. Just found it odd Nergard wasn't playing - he must either be ill or have family problems as he was very much Thomas's right hand man in third.

He wanted to stay home and be with his wife as she's about to give birth apparently.
    Forum Member
    Magpie11 wrote: »
    Sad news, it looks like as Lindholm has made it clear that they've got no chance of going to Sochi she's called it a day now to allow the other three to plan ahead for 2018. Shame on him to be honest.

The whole selection system in Sweden is shocking – based on the whims of one person rather than the results of a competitive national championships (as Scotland, Canada and Norway for example use).

Norberg beat Sigfridsson in the Swedish selection event this year – and then their coach ignores that and goes with Sigfridsson for the worlds. As usual all goes well in the round robins – and she gets her usual silver losing the final.
    By contrast Norberg is a proven winner having won three world championships, seven European titles and the last two Olympics in 2006 and 2010. Its terrible that she won’t get the chance for a hat trick of wins in Sochi – due to their arbitrary selection process.
    All I can say is – the Canadians, Scots and other nations will be pleased!
    Forum Member
    Scotland 3 up (7-4) over Ulsrud with 3 ends to play.

Denmark – a play off challenger - down 6-2 against the Swiss.

And the Japanese are level with Canada – so here’s hoping for an upset

So looking good at the moment in this draw.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland win, Denmark lose and Canada are in trouble against Japan. 2 down going into final end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could be wrong but I've now heard a few snidey comments from the Canadians about their opponents shots
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong but I've now heard a few snidey comments from the Canadians about their opponents shots

I don't like the Canadian rink much - the Japanese are a very young team learning the game who deserve a little respect.

During last night's session I clearly heard one of the Canadians saying 'it was one of those f*****g Brewster p****s'. Presumably they must have had some sort of issue during the half time break with one of the Scottish team members who were in the next lane. Surely they must realise there are microphones recording their conversations?

PS The Japanese youngsters have just beaten Canada in the extra end 10-8 - result!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the Canadian rink much - the Japanese are a very young team learning the game who deserve a little respect.

During last night's session I clearly heard one of the Canadians saying 'it was one of those f*****g Brewster p****s'. Presumably they must have had some sort of issue during the half time break with one of the Scottish team members who were in the next lane. Surely they must realise there are microphones recording their conversations?

PS The Japanese youngsters have just beaten Canada in the extra end 10-8 - result!:D
    Some result! The unbeatables are human after all!
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught the end of the Scotland game but it looks and sounds as if they were in top form and that's 3 consecutive tough sessions they've played. It's a pity they couldn't have beaten USA especially now that Canada have lost :D Apparently they were in charge throughout and David Murdoch tweeted his first stone in the last end picked. I see USA were lucky again just now against Finland.

Interesting about the off stage noises from Canada, they must be under huge pressure and losing to Japan won't help. :D I thought it was noticeable how much warmer the handshakes are at the end of each match compared to the women, although that wouldn't be difficult. ;)
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,948
    Forum Member
    Good bounce back against Norway today. From what I saw of the game everybody seemed on better form. I would say now is the time to go with consistency as it's all getting a bit tight in the scramble for a playoff. Norway at 4-4 are in a bit of trouble and their next game is against Sweden; then Sweden's next game is against Scotland. Those are going to be huge games for all three teams.

Quite the heroic victory from Japan there. I hope they get the beers they deserve for doing the Scots, Swedes and Danes a favour.

Really quite sad to hear about Annette Norberg but not entirely surprised. With all the experience, success and winning know-how, it must be incredibly frustrating to be winning games and beating your closest rivals but still not be given the chance to defend your hard won title. Sara and the rest of the rink must be quite angry about it too. They're robbed of the chance to not only play in the big championships, but to be learning off the best their country has to offer. It would seem that 'blazeratti' thinking isn't just British thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The competition's warming up nicely, and on Eurosport it's also nice to hear Canada's commentator version of Sara in His Majesty Luke Coley. (Anyone else in the UK used to sub to Curl TV? Thought not).

I'm all for rotation - if I turn up at eight I the morning I might get a game!

As for Annette, must be infuriating. Wonder if, at times, she's asked whether other Swedish rinks need an alternate? Anyway, as mentioned, makes the Gold more accessable for our Evie.

Often wondered why competitions such as the Olympics and World's CAN'T have more than one rink per country; in the way that Olympic 100m can have three individuals competing from the same place. If that were to happen you could have two Swiss women rinks (so Ott gets a game) Fleming/Muirhead Scots and any number of Canadian rinks. But to fit it all in the competition would have to be either a straight knock-out or a four-group whittled down to last eight.

On a smaller scale that's what we got at Braehead in the CCT, two Russian rinks etc....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good win last night:)
    Forum Member
    Another good win last night:)

It was indeed, a very important squeaky bum last-ender as well. I reckon that now guarantees at worst a tie-break slot for the play-offs. One more win against either China or Finland will probably be enough for the 1v2 spot.

That was the worst day possible Sweden, and with Denmark and Canada up next they're going to have a tough last day to make it through; probably the best they can do is a tie-break now.
    Forum Member
    Blimey it's going well isn't it.

Always said that rotation was the way to go :o:D

Any idea how Olympic qualification's stacking up Taurus?
    Forum Member

Well they are doing exactly as well as last year when there was no rotation! Maybe they might have beaten the US and Canada – who knows?! I suppose it does give the team more of a rest (particularly the sweepers) – as sweeping is hard work. But when I saw Tom Brewster sweeping yesterday it did seem like a bit of a demotion for the man that took Scotland to two world finals in two years.

Also – while its only jokiness – there do seem to be some in jokes on twitter from the Swedes about how well funded the Scottish team is compared to the other European teams (e.g. flying in by private jet!). They probably get proportionately far more funding as GB has so few Olympic hopefuls for the winter games – whereas for the Swedes, Danes, Russians and Norwegians curling is only one of dozens of gold medal prospects.

Re Olympic qualification its being updated here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics

The womens qualification – bar the two coming from the playoffs in December is now confirmed.

For the men Russia as host, plus Canada and Scotland have guaranteed qualification based on last years world results and this years worlds so far.

I would expect Sweden and Norway and probably China and Denmark also to get qualification once the round robin stages are finished. That leaves one other guaranteed place depending on today’s results i.e. probably the Swiss or US but New Zealand, the Czechs or Japan might possibly be in with a shot.

Everyone else not qualified who played in the 2011, 2012 or 2013 worlds I believe can get one of the two playoff places in December.
    Forum Member

Canada, GB, Sweden, Norway, China and Denmark have all done enough already.

That leaves USA, Switzerland and the Czechs all chasing enough points to scramble above New Zealand's score from last year (8pts). My best guess? It'll come down to the final draw where Switzerland play the Czechs; if the Swiss win they will almost certainly get the place, if the Czechs win and then get to the play-offs they might just get their noses in front and qualify.

USA look to have too much to do; they need to beat both Russia and Norway and have other results go their way ( Japan to beat Swiss and the Czechs). I think they'll miss out abd it's the final qualifying in December for them.
    Forum Member
    Well they are doing exactly as well as last year when there was no rotation! Maybe they might have beaten the US and Canada – who knows?! I suppose it does give the team more of a rest (particularly the sweepers) – as sweeping is hard work. But when I saw Tom Brewster sweeping yesterday it did seem like a bit of a demotion for the man that took Scotland to two world finals in two years.

Also – while its only jokiness – there do seem to be some in jokes on twitter from the Swedes about how well funded the Scottish team is compared to the other European teams (e.g. flying in by private jet!). They probably get proportionately far more funding as GB has so few Olympic hopefuls for the winter games – whereas for the Swedes, Danes, Russians and Norwegians curling is only one of dozens of gold medal prospects.

Re Olympic qualification its being updated here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics

The womens qualification – bar the two coming from the playoffs in December is now confirmed.

For the men Russia as host, plus Canada and Scotland have guaranteed qualification based on last years world results and this years worlds so far.

I would expect Sweden and Norway and probably China and Denmark also to get qualification once the round robin stages are finished. That leaves one other guaranteed place depending on today’s results i.e. probably the Swiss or US but New Zealand, the Czechs or Japan might possibly be in with a shot.

Everyone else not qualified who played in the 2011, 2012 or 2013 worlds I believe can get one of the two playoff places in December.

Marty, have you any idea what happens if two nations end up with the same points total? I think there's a possibility of both Switzerland and USA (and/or possibly even the Czechs) finishing on 10 pts. I don't know what criteria would separate them for the final place.
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Marty, have you any idea what happens if two nations end up with the same points total? I think there's a possibility of both Switzerland and USA (and/or possibly even the Czechs) finishing on 10 pts. I don't know what criteria would separate them for the final place.

The rules are here on the world curling site – and it doesn’t make clear who would qualify if two teams got equal points. I don’t think the world curling association thought of that happening – but it is rather obvious!.

I would assume the team that did best in the 2013 worlds would qualify – as they would most likely apply world rankings. However a play off is an option i.e. they play off at the qualifying competition in December and the loser goes into the full qualifying event.

http://www.worldcurling.org/olympic-qualification

We will know if there is an issue after the final round robins (i.e. 6am tomorrow!)
    Forum Member
    The rules are here on the world curling site – and it doesn’t make clear who would qualify if two teams got equal points. I don’t think the world curling association thought of that happening – but it is rather obvious!.

I would assume the team that did best in the 2013 worlds would qualify – as they would most likely apply world rankings. However a play off is an option i.e. they play off at the qualifying competition in December and the loser goes into the full qualifying event.

http://www.worldcurling.org/olympic-qualification

We will know if there is an issue after the final round robins (i.e. 6am tomorrow!)

Oh well, thanks for at least trying to clear the fog a little. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out today (there's bound to be a shock result somewhere). Quite the final day they have over there; 12 matches and every single one them will mean something for either playoff or Olympic qualification.
    Forum Member
    Cheers for the replies, lads :)

Sweden in trouble against Denmark it's 5-2 at the break.

Edin in danger of not making the play-offs...who'da thunk it ??
    Forum Member
    Cheers for the replies, lads :)

Sweden in trouble against Denmark it's 5-2 at the break.

Edin in danger of not making the play-offs...who'da thunk it ??

Well its an interesting last round of matches - Sweden's final game is against Canada and Denmark also have to face Canada in their last match. So the Swedes could easily go out.

So - providing they can beat China and they are tied 3-3 at present - thats potentially good news for Scotland making the 1-2 playoff at their last game is against the Finns.

Looks like Scotland and Canada in the 1-2 with Denmark 3rd and anyone from Sweden, Norway, Czechs and China in the 3-4 playoff. The Swiss and US cannot be ruled out either!
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Have Eurosport UK showed any of Scotland matches? every time i turn it on it seems to be Sweden v someone, or Norway v someone.