Options

Unwashed daughter.

spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
Forum Member
✭✭
My daughter just refuses to bath or shower. It's been like this for ages now and my husband and I are at our wits end. We have tried talking to her calmly or got angry with her but nothing works. Our latest tactic is to just ignore the problem which is difficult as she smells and so does her bedroom.

She is a pre teen with attitude and I'm so peed off with her. We have just had a lovely shower fitted and we hoped she would want to try it out but no, in her own words she 'doesn't care'.

Any advice would be appreciated.:)

Comments

• Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she'll be embarrassed into changing her mind when others tell her that she stinks and start shunning her.

Bear in mind that we are often completely oblivious to our own persistent odours as our brains filter them out. If she was to smell how she reeks with a fresh nose, so to speak, she might feel differently. As it is, she probably wonders what the fuss is about.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take her mobile phone and computer access away and refuse to let her go out in the evening or have friends round until she complies. It's not ok to neglect your personal hygiene.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    My daughter just refuses to bath or shower. It's been like this for ages now and my husband and I are at our wits end. We have tried talking to her calmly or got angry with her but nothing works. Our latest tactic is to just ignore the problem which is difficult as she smells and so does her bedroom.

She is a pre teen with attitude and I'm so peed off with her. We have just had a lovely shower fitted and we hoped she would want to try it out but no, in her own words she 'doesn't care'.

Any advice would be appreciated.:)

It could be more than that, there maybe underlying issues that she may not wish to discuss or open up about, the doesn't care bit would concern me. Maybe she has low self esteem, is getting bullied, is depressed..it may be more than just attitude.
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the stroppy attitude (it will wear off eventually) is there anyone she looks up to? an aunt, older cousin, grandparent, teacher or neighbour.? if so then get them to have a word.

Sometimes parents are "THE ENEMY" and just put on earth to be defied ! so a third party might be listened to.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    She's not even a teenager and you can't make her take a shower? God help you when she's a teenager!

Tell her to do as she's told and that should be the end of it.

You run the show, not her. Keep it simple. No shower means no TV, no phone and no going out with friends or whatever else she likes doing.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pesky kids!! Why dont they realise if they just did as they were told the world (or at least my house) would be a lovely harmonious place...

Have you tried shopping for some sweet smelling bath bombs/ bubble foam, lighting candles in the bathroom, stepping back & let her relax and have some privacy ?

I know what you mean tho - My 11 y/o son showers every morning but somehow manages to miss his hair - smells like a dreadlocked hippie (no offence to anyone :))
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take her to the docs, OP, or phone her doc for advice if she refuses to go with you. Not washing and lack of care in one's appearance are classic symptoms of mental health issues. Of course it might just be a stroppy pre-teen, but she needs to be checked over by a doc to see that there are no health issues causing this behaviour.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    Pesky kids!! Why dont they realise if they just did as they were told the world (or at least my house) would be a lovely harmonious place...

Have you tried shopping for some sweet smelling bath bombs/ bubble foam, lighting candles in the bathroom, stepping back & let her relax and have some privacy ?

I know what you mean tho - My 11 y/o son showers every morning but somehow manages to miss his hair - smells like a dreadlocked hippie (no offence to anyone :))

Haha - I know that one. My b/f actually has dreadlocks & it is a two (wo)man job to dry them properly but his hair smelt way better than my 12 year old with short back & sides.

One of the few times I have gone all disciplinarian mum was over his personal hygiene. While he does shower every evening as mentioned, he neglected his hair and sometimes forgets his deodorant (Puberty has hit big time so yes, at 12 he needs daily showers and deodorant) I was blunt. As kind as I could be but blunt. I told him his hair stunk and that if he didn't wash it properly I would wash it for him. If he didn't let me, there would be no computer (his favourite thing in the world), no TV, no 3DS. I would change the router password. He went and washed his hair properly and on prompting went and used his deodorant.

I'm not all mean - he loves anything from Lush so I make sure he has plenty of smellies. We pop to the shop on a semi regular basis so he can pick out some bath bombs, soap, shampoo - we're on 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' ATM because of my love of Ren & Stimpy. I will at some point learn to keep my mouth shut.

He also loves Lynx. I'm not a fan, but its not my armpits.

So - I guess I'm advising taking a strong approach to this but also trying to make showering nice. If you haven't got a lush near you, do you have a Bodyshop?

Now, if I could get him to clean his teeth without me having to stand over him, all would be good in the world:D

Teens/pre-teens & hygiene - not a combo made in heaven :D
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha - I know that one. My b/f actually has dreadlocks & it is a two (wo)man job to dry them properly but his hair smelt way better than my 12 year old with short back & sides.

One of the few times I have gone all disciplinarian mum was over his personal hygiene. While he does shower every evening as mentioned, he neglected his hair and sometimes forgets his deodorant (Puberty has hit big time so yes, at 12 he needs daily showers and deodorant) I was blunt. As kind as I could be but blunt. I told him his hair stunk and that if he didn't wash it properly I would wash it for him. If he didn't let me, there would be no computer (his favourite thing in the world), no TV, no 3DS. I would change the router password. He went and washed his hair properly and on prompting went and used his deodorant.

I'm not all mean - he loves anything from Lush so I make sure he has plenty of smellies. We pop to the shop on a semi regular basis so he can pick out some bath bombs, soap, shampoo - we're on 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' ATM because of my love of Ren & Stimpy. I will at some point learn to keep my mouth shut.

He also loves Lynx. I'm not a fan, but its not my armpits.

So - I guess I'm advising taking a strong approach to this but also trying to make showering nice. If you haven't got a lush near you, do you have a Bodyshop?

Now, if I could get him to clean his teeth without me having to stand over him, all would be good in the world:D

Teens/pre-teens & hygiene - not a combo made in heaven :D

:D It's nice we're not alone StressMonkey - Yes - this is another one - So sick of nagging about this... It's not me who will be going under the needle to get a filling if the gnashers dont get a proper scrub!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find if people nag and keep going on at me I will not do what they want even if I was going to do the thing they want anyway. Do not repeat yourself. Decide on a punishment, tell her that if she does not do as your ask you will do ______________ then when she does not do it follow though. As others have said you need to be firm and children feel better in the long run if you are firm rather than wishy washy with them.

If she is still feeling a bit depressed, maybe some quality mom and daughter and dad and daughter time is needed?
  • Options
    station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it was my daughter she'd be picked up and fired in the shower
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't the best advice but if it's getting that bad then there's no harm on giving it a try, spill something sticky on her like coke or something like in her hair down her neck, if she can cope with that then... I have no idea.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I agree with The Judge.

No wash = no treats, internet, phone, telly, outings, friends round, pocket money - whatever it takes.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she in other ways ok? I would have thought that her classmates would be giving her a hard time if things were so bad (we all know how cruel kids can be). I agree that if it goes on, there might be something deeper going on.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give her the choice: she can take a proper shower at a time when you're out of the house, so she can deal with this in a mature way. Or you treat her like a little kid and personally supervise her having a shower. And there have to be time limits and consequences if she doesn't agree, but most of all, you have to be calm and rational.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I've got to agree with the people here, no wash = no tv / no phone / no friends over.

Simple and direct. You are the parent, she is the child. She may not care how she smells but without washing it's not just the smells you'll have to deal with, it's the health implications as well.

Put your foot down mum.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot of dictators on this thread :/

I think there is more going on than just that she dont want to wash. That isnt (IMO) normal for a pre-teen or teen girl.. That is more a boy thing (until they discover someone they fancy)

Is she depressed do you think? Anything else you have noticed about her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take her to the docs, OP, or phone her doc for advice if she refuses to go with you. Not washing and lack of care in one's appearance are classic symptoms of mental health issues. Of course it might just be a stroppy pre-teen, but she needs to be checked over by a doc to see that there are no health issues causing this behaviour.

This is the most important and sensible advice you have been given, if this can be ruled out first, then look at the other advice been given. There must be a reason she doesn't care and that needs addressing as it sounds more than an attitude thing.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If nothing else, the importance of personal hygiene for her 'lady bits' needs to be put across to her some how. Thats one place that if not washed will lead to a problem more than just been a little wiffy.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would turn the shower on and place her in there. you are the adult, she is the child..

if you leave it, it could be seen as neglect..and i would inform the head at her school of the situation

and do not pour coke on her
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I would say there is more to it than her just not wanting a wash, although saying that I have a friend whose daughter when she was younger refused to wash (I always thought she was an exception though). As a female not washing is alien to me, when I was a child once I got to 9 I had a bath or shower twice a day every day before that a bath every night.

Does she care how she looks, do her clothes get washed regularly? Is there something going on at school? Girls can be bitches and maybe something has happened at school, maybe she is getting picked on. Maybe she has hit puberty/got her period and is embarrassed/scared. You don't say how old she is just a pre-teen but sticking or forcing her in to a shower will make her resent you even more. It sounds like there is definitely more to this than just laziness
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Lot of dictators on this thread :/

I think there is more going on than just that she dont want to wash. That isnt (IMO) normal for a pre-teen or teen girl.. That is more a boy thing (until they discover someone they fancy)

Is she depressed do you think? Anything else you have noticed about her?

I wouldn't call parents who insist on the absolute basic necessity of washing, dictators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call parents who insist on the absolute basic necessity of washing, dictators.

They are when they haven't considered the possibility that there maybe other issues going on, rather than just attitude. The fact she has said she doesn't care, should set alarm bells ringing, more than anything. Maybe I am jumping the gun, but I have seen a similar situation with a partners daughter in the past, and she didn't care. Wouldn't wash, clean her teeth etc...it turned out there was other things going on, not just attitude.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou for all the advice. She says her friends at school don't wash either so maybe it's a "me too" thing (albeit a strange one)! She doesn't seem depressed, everything is ok at school and she is eating fine. It's just this one thing, really.

She'll clean her teeth/brush her hair but we have to tell her to do so and I don't think at 11 years old she should need reminding. Do you guys have to remind your older kids to do things that they should be doing automatically?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    Thankyou for all the advice. She says her friends at school don't wash either so maybe it's a "me too" thing (albeit a strange one)! She doesn't seem depressed, everything is ok at school and she is eating fine. It's just this one thing, really.

She'll clean her teeth/brush her hair but we have to tell her to do so and I don't think at 11 years old she should need reminding. Do you guys have to remind your older kids to do things that they should be doing automatically?

my line is usually "wash your hands, clean your teeth, use the gel.."

but they do it, im just there to remind them