Old stuff they used to have at school you remember?

1272829303133»

Comments

• tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Log tables and slide rules. Conversions from one obscure and obsolete unit to an even more obsolete and obscure unit on the back of exercise books.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new thread on the forum reminded me of these

Powerballs - used to be able to bounce them over a house - never to be seen again :D

Silly putty (also known as Potty Putty) - smelled like weird marzipan, acted like plasticine on acid. Could be squeezed into any shape and if made into a ball bouced really high. If in long shapes it would wind it's way down walls, and you could copy pictures from newspapers by pressing it on the paper and then on a blank sheet

I used to love playing with potty putty and copying pictures from newspapers. I think that it came out again about 10 or so years ago for a short time under a different name, but it didn't seem to catch on. I remember that mine was pink in a little green plastic box.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say gone away as much but for the kids holiday cartoons

With kids channels now on pretty much 24/7 there is no need for them so the main channels have given up on them even the kids hours (well it was more like 2) on BBC and ITV

But even with them the holiday ones were different more special somehow even if it was the same episodes you have watched in the afternoon seemed more special at say 9.30am on Wednesday morning.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Log tables and slide rules. Conversions from one obscure and obsolete unit to an even more obsolete and obscure unit on the back of exercise books.

Slugs & Ergs...those were the days.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The smell of mimeographs.

Not being able to cut anything because you were the unlucky student to end up with a pair of left-handed safety scissors.
  • cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat white slugs ☺
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The gay bog.
    There were three partitions in the lads' bogs at school but the one in the middle was the gay one (Oh, yeah. WALLY WAS A ******).
    When I was in the first year at my last school, the head master (Wally) had the first year in the hall for lunch break (Can't remember why). He lleft the hall and one of the lads stood p and made slaphead gestures behind his back.

Then there was that old bag, Mrs Wall, who grassed one of the seniors up during assembly for reading a magazine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A strange thing I remember is when they had a bad flu epidemic sometime in the 1950's that all the children had to gargle in some pink liquid every morning. We all had individual plastic mugs for ourselves and the teacher would take us into the cloakroom and we all had to have some of the pink stuff put in our mugs and were told to gargle with it.

I was one of the lucky ones, who was able to gargle, but some of the others couldn't manage to do it (we were only in the first class, so must have been four or five), and they got shouted at by the teacher. I think some of them used to swallow the stuff.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the nit nurse lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    We used to do Reading Workshop cards. You had to read the story on the first side then answer the questions on the back.

Didn't come in a box with a picture of a kneeling camel wearing sunglasses were they?
    These definitely exsisted but I can't remember what they were called.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    A TV on a tall stand that was wheeled from one classroom to the next.

We would watch How We Used to Live.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »

That was my first thought too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Blackboard dusters that the teacher would hurl across the room. Ouch!

Yes!
    And indeed blackboards and chalk.
    And huge telly's on wheels with black fold out shades to stop the sun glaring on them.
    Warm me milk at break time.
    Nappy like sanitary products the nurse gave out if you got caught unexpectedly.
    Nit nurse checking everyone's hair, ditto dentists checking everyone's teeth.
    Desks with inkwells. Being allowed to use a fountain pen once you could do tidy joined up writing.
    Disecting frogs and bulls eyeballs.
    Picture box, and How We Used to Live.
  • damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At Infants' School in the early '60s, there was a roll of Ibcol ( now wash your hands please) or Izal toilet paper hanging on a string by the door handle. If you wanted a wee, you took 1 sheet or you could have 3 squares if it was going to be a "jobby'. No wonder I have IBS.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

You beat me to it lol.
    I loved that programme, it remains responsible for me being a complete history geek.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Speaking of the Video and TV did anyone else on the last day or so before Christmas Holidays get to watch a film?

Usually with us it was The Snowman followed by Wizard Of Oz sometimes they even used to rewind it so we could watch one of them again.

Which then after everybody tried to do the Tin Man or Scarecrow bit where they fall around.

Which also reminds me that the day after Karate Kid came on TV most of the kids tried to do the crane kick and as we had wooden posts in the playground like the one used some always tried on that and ended up falling off I did hear someone broke their arm once but I didn't see it myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my first class, I remember that we all had a tiny tin of polish and a duster that we kept in our desks and then every Friday afternoon we had to polish our desks. I can still remember the teacher telling us to "polish them so that we could see our face in them".
  • steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Lots of us uk here have shared memories of Singing Together on the radio so I just thought you may all like to know that Jarvis Cocker is fronting a programme about this on BBC Radio 4 on Saturday (29th November) at 8.00 pm. I can't listen myself but it may be of interest to some.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The school nurse used to visit our little primary school. She checked for nits, she measured us and weighed us. She also took any undernourished children to one side and gave them a big spoonful of some sort of malt concoction. It was very gooey and brown in colour. My friend got it but I didn't. I wonder what good that spoonful did because she didn't come to school that often.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duck and cover drills. Useful for nuclear blasts and earthquakes!
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the Video and TV did anyone else on the last day or so before Christmas Holidays get to watch a film?

Usually with us it was The Snowman followed by Wizard Of Oz sometimes they even used to rewind it so we could watch one of them again.

Which then after everybody tried to do the Tin Man or Scarecrow bit where they fall around.

Which also reminds me that the day after Karate Kid came on TV most of the kids tried to do the crane kick and as we had wooden posts in the playground like the one used some always tried on that and ended up falling off I did hear someone broke their arm once but I didn't see it myself.

I remember watching Gremlins just before we broke up one year at school, and Superman another year. Happy Days!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roma the robot!
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itchy Bill, The head sports teacher. 20 a day and a faint whiff of a lunch time pint.

It was the seventies though