Options

Hugh Grant - 'I LIKE my daughter very much'

Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
Forum Member
✭✭
What a plonker! What decent parent 'likes' a child (apart from the dysfunctional Audrey Chawner)? He's a horrible, selfish man.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/-hugh-grant-finally-opens-766123

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    A thread that contains a quote from the mirror doesnt "reflect" (lol) the truth necessarily
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tudor6222 wrote: »
    What a plonker! What decent parent 'likes' a child (apart from the dysfunctional Audrey Chawner)? He's a horrible, selfish man.

I think it is a nice thing to say. You're supposed to love your kids, but liking them as well implies you enjoy their company, that you choose to be with them etc...

Not a great lover of Hugh, but think that is sweet.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoo in for Premier Inn DOTY 2012 if he's prepared to turn up at the Hanger Lane branch and be photographed with a marge lid trophy. He doesn't have to like his kid, know her name or any of that nonsense, just turning up is good enough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A thread that contains a quote from the mirror doesnt "reflect" (lol) the truth necessarily

It's in other papers apart from the Mirror.
    – but very little bluffing has been required. I like my daughter very much.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/16/hugh-grant-hacking-pirates-film
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a nice thing to say. You're supposed to love your kids, but liking them as well implies you enjoy their company, that you choose to be with them etc...

Me too, and very Hugh. I like that he doesn't pander to z/celebrity expectations and gush all over the place. Refreshing.

I think the rest of that interview more than confirms his delight with his new daughter.

Odd that one line in the entire interview is used to condemn him while the rest of what he says is ignored.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you're taking this way more seriously than he meant it.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In answwe to the OP, loads of decent parents like their kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not a lover of him either obviously, but 'liking' your child and going off to play golf half an hour after her birth is a bit odd to say the least. He doesn't want the little one to impact on his life in any way beyond brief mentions when he feels like it.

I think he's a terrible example of fatherhood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    In answwe to the OP, loads of decent parents like their kids.

I love my kids - there are times when I don't like them very much though and I don't think I'm alone among parents in that feeling either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member
    I'm not a lover of him either obviously, but 'liking' your child and going off to play golf half an hour after her birth is a bit odd to say the least. He doesn't want the little one to impact on his life in any way beyond brief mentions when he feels like it.

I think he's a terrible example of fatherhood.

But if you read the whole interview in the Guardian, he is appears to be absolutely thrilled with his daughter and has a lot of contact - he talks about her at great length and with a lot of pride. It is just his way of talking, he clearly loves her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz G-S wrote: »
    But if you read the whole interview in the Guardian, he is appears to be absolutely thrilled with his daughter and has a lot of contact - he talks about her at great length and with a lot of pride. It is just his way of talking, he clearly loves her.

Agree. It's a lovely interview. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit sad that his comments about his new daughter are being pulled apart. We know the way he talks, he's a big one for understatement. A lot of Brits talk like that and have that kind of sense of humour, it seems it only becomes odd when it's in print.

The DM readers (of all people!) were also pulling him apart for saying he wouldn't set up a trust fund for her! She's clearly going to be well provided for, Auntie Liz won't have her turning up for lunch in Primark for one thing, but he thinks a windfall of cash at 18 could be bad for her. I think that's very wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    It's a bit sad that his comments about his new daughter are being pulled apart. We know the way he talks, he's a big one for understatement. A lot of Brits talk like that and have that kind of sense of humour, it seems it only becomes odd when it's in print.

The DM readers (of all people!) were also pulling him apart for saying he wouldn't set up a trust fund for her! She's clearly going to be well provided for, Auntie Liz won't have her turning up for lunch in Primark for one thing, but he thinks a windfall of cash at 18 could be bad for her. I think that's very wise.

I just think it's a very odd thing for a person to say about their child. To me anyway he always comes across as extremely emotionless and I couldn't imagine him getting his dander up about anything at all. There's something not quite right and I think it displays an extreme detachment, not to mention selfishness when a man hot foots it to Scotland for a game of golf half an hour after his child's birth.

Fiona Macintosh puts it well here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/isnt-it-time-hugh-grant-grew-89830
  • Options
    LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Mr Grant offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamaestra wrote: »
    I find Mr Grant offensive.

Finding him offensive seems a bit extreme, I just think he makes some daft remarks which sometimes can be construed as quite nasty and selfish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think it's a very odd thing for a person to say about their child. To me anyway he always comes across as extremely emotionless and I couldn't imagine him getting his dander up about anything at all. There's something not quite right and I think it displays an extreme detachment, not to mention selfishness when a man hot foots it to Scotland for a game of golf half an hour after his child's birth.

Did you read the Guardian article that someone has linked to here? You might feel differently once you've read that.

He tries to be a private person, he doesn't play to the public like we are used to seeing from Price, Cole and all the others, but the way he talks about his daughter (and her mother) is very touching. He couldn't give a PR masterclass like 'Peter The Best Dad In The World' Andre, but he sounds genuine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:rolleyes: Did you actually read the Guardian interview?

ETA: As per above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you read the Guardian article that someone has linked to here? You might feel differently once you've read that.

I did because I put up the link. As I say If find him quite selfish and concerned with his own comforts. He may well play the proud dad in that interview, but from what I've seen, and read there doesn't seem to be much evidence of any real emotional attachment to the child. Just my opinion.
    He tries to be a private person, he doesn't play to the public like we are used to seeing from Price, Cole and all the others, but the way he talks about his daughter (and her mother) is very touching. He couldn't give a PR masterclass like 'Peter The Best Dad In The World' Andre, but he sounds genuine.

So private in fact, he goes off with low rent prostitutes and finds himself splashed all over the press. So private, he's was once with one of the most photographed women of the 90's (Liz). I didn't see him running to hide then, as their relationship was beneficial for them both. And just why do people have drag Andre into things paternal anyway? He's not the world's only father.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did because I put up the link. As I say If find him quite selfish and concerned with his own comforts. He may well play the proud dad in that interview, but from what I've seen, and read there doesn't seem to be much evidence of any real emotional attachment to the child. Just my opinion.

So private in fact, he goes off with low rent prostitutes and finds himself splashed all over the press. So private, he's was once with one of the most photographed women around (Liz). I didn't see him running to hide then, as their relationship was beneficial for them both. And why do people have drag Andre into things paternal? He's not the world's only father.

He was caught with a prostitute once, and Liz became a high profile woman because of her relationship with him. She was unknown when he started seeing her.

I mentioned PA because he is one of the most blatant examples of someone who uses his children to boost his career, a 'professional parent', as Alex and Chantelle are about to be.

And the bit in bold - we wouldn't know how much attachment he has to his child, because he hasn't sold her to OK! magazine or any other publication! That says a lot more to me than the people who use their childs birth to finance their next holiday.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why have you placed 'like' in capital letters?
    “I like my daughter very much”, says Hugh Grant, speaking for the first time about his five month baby in a new interview. Well, that’s a relief – we didn’t think Hugh liked anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The Mirror could have easily put emphasis on the 'like' part of his sentence. You can put emphasis on 'like' without it actually meaning that you fancy your daughter. If someone says it in the right way, it's obvious that they fancy who they're talking about. The interviewer might have asked him a question in a certain way that caused him to respond like that.

BiB - without actually being there it's impossible to say really isn't it? Other newspapers have quoted him as saying 'I LIKE my daughter', not just the Mirror.

If a man says he 'loves' his daughter, it would take a very suspicious mind indeed to interpret it as more than a paternal love. As to why did I put 'LIKE' in caps, to me it's a very odd thing to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've capitalised 'like' to emphasise the fact that he didn't say 'love' and they think he should have. As if he's incapable of loving his child unless he has made a public pronouncement.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BiB - without actually being there it's impossible to say really isn't it? Other newspapers have quoted him as saying 'I LIKE my daughter', not just the Mirror.

If a man says he 'loves' his daughter, it would take a very suspicious mind indeed to interpret it as more than a paternal love.

Tabloids can be very manipulative/misleading at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was caught with a prostitute once, and Liz became a high profile woman because of her relationship with him. She was unknown when he started seeing her.

But their relationship was beneficial for both of them .She may have been unknown when she wore the 'safety pin' dress, but she certainly wasn't afterwards.
    I mentioned PA because he is one of the most blatant examples of someone who uses his children to boost his career, a 'professional parent', as Alex and Chantelle are about to be.

He doesn't have to be dragged into it though. With respect, the thread's about Hugh Grant and not Peter Andre.
    And the bit in bold - we wouldn't know how much attachment he has to his child, because he hasn't sold her to OK! magazine or any other publication! That says a lot more to me than the people who use their childs birth to finance their next holiday.

Yes, we know he's not going to sell pictures to OK! or any other celeb rag, that's obvious, but I just feel his words make him sound detached from the child. When The Guardian piece describes him as having a 'cool forensic mind', you know he's not Mr Cuddly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But their relationship was beneficial for both of them .She may have been unknown when she wore the 'safety pin' dress, but she certainly wasn't afterwards.

He doesn't have to be dragged into it though. With respect, the thread's about Hugh Grant and not Peter Andre.

Yes, we know he's not going to sell pictures to OK! or any other celeb rag, that's obvious, but I just feel his words make him sound detached from the child. When The Guardian piece describes him as having a 'cool forensic mind', you know he's not Mr Cuddly.

You accuse him of being cold, then wonder why he didn't dump Liz Hurley as soon as she started getting tabloid coverage? Make your mind up!

He doesn't like the press, and as we are only ever going to see him through that filter he will always sound detached and defensive. Imagine if people only got to hear from you through watching you having one on one conversations with someone you dislike and who dislikes you, you wouldn't come across as a warm effusive person either.

He speaks very well of his childs mother even though they only had a fling, and many men would be slinging veiled (if that) insults, he's still close to at least one of his exes, and he has enough of a sense of humour to play the Daniel Cleaver part which his friend Helen Fielding wrote to take the mick out of him. He's probably a very nice person to the people he knows.