Options

Extoritionate PAYG cost of phones

2»

Comments

• Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A note 3 is virtually a tablet, yet costs a £100 more than an a cellular ipad mini retina which probably has equal tech.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply don't make enough calls or send enough texts to justify a £52 a month contract.

If your willing to pay a one off £19.99 T-Mobile will give you a Galaxy S4 for £37.99 a month which is a lot lower than £52 with unlimited data, texts and 500 moments of speaking.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    A note 3 is virtually a tablet, yet costs a £100 more than an a cellular ipad mini retina which probably has equal tech.

Probably equal tech?

5 megapixel primary camera vs 13 megapixels
    1.2 MP secondary cam vs 2 MP 1080p
    Dual-core 1.3Ghz vs quad-core 2.3Ghz/8 core 1.9Ghz
    802.11n vs. 802.11ac
    324 PPI vs 384 PPI display
    USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
    No stylus vs. Stylus input.

Yep totally equal. No justification there for any price difference.
    Quackers wrote: »
    If your willing to pay a one off £19.99 T-Mobile will give you a Galaxy S4 for £37.99 a month which is a lot lower than £52 with unlimited data, texts and 500 moments of speaking.

Or instead of getting ripped off like that you could get the Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile for no one-off cost and £32.99 a month for the same 500 minutes and unlimited texts and data. Or for £38 a month get it on Vodafone 4G with 6GB data and unlimited everything else and also zero upfront cost.

Orange and Vodafone also both do the phone for free for £28-29 a month on less heavy tariffs with the former reducing to £22 a month by redemption.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »

I struggle to use £10 a month PAYG. I don't like talking on mobile phones. In fact, I use text much more often than a phone call. So to be fair, most of the functionality of the Samsung S4 or Note 3 would be wasted in me. I use all manner of tablet apps, on both Android and IOS, and run a high end PC for work use.

As has been pointed out, I must accept that for now it looks like I will have to wait it out . At least until someone chooses to add a 13 mega pixel camera, or better, to a more standard phone. Which could happen.

But I still think the above models and their direct competition are overpriced.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you used £10 a PAYG and a £22 a month contract covered your usage then only £12 a month would really be going towards the phone - costing £288 for a Galaxy S4 over a 2 year contract.

Which is really quite reasonable considering replacing the screen alone costs £130.