Options

The Kylie Minogue thread

mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi seeing as the once-legendary Kylie forum Say Hey has apparently become defunct (it now redirects to kylie.com) I thought I'd put up a little thread here for all things Kylie.

There is some talk of Kylie releasing a Christmas disco album. Not sure what to make of this. A couple of years ago I'd have been horrified at the idea and the damage it would do to her brand. However to be honest I don't think that's really an issue anymore. Madonna released Confessions when she was Kylie's age now, but I don't think Kylie could score a major hit now (at least in the singles chart) even if it was the best single of the decade.

Personally I'd rather she'd be working on her next album of new material, but her new albums are so sporadic now, with only three in the last 10 years.

If you look at Kylie's singles from 2000 onwards it tells a remarkable story. In the 00s every single but one (ironically The One), all album releases (except for the old Hits+ compilation and remix album Boombox) all made the UK top 10. It's particularly remarkable due to her "wilderness" period of 1995-99.

This decade has seen a shift in the way people buy music, the industry in general and the way radio plays music, and Kylie (and Madonna for that matter) were simply not prepared for this and carried on with a business-as-usual attitude which has consigned them to almost irrelevance now.

Can't Get You Out Of my Head seems a looooooong time ago now. (Actually I suppose it is.)

Comments

• Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I like a few Christmas songs, but I don’t buy Christmas albums. They’re not very popular in the U.K. There are rare occurrences when they do connect with the public (Michael Bublé) but they seem to be far more popular in the U.S. However, I think Kylie could be one of the few pop stars who could successfully pull off a Christmas album. Her cover of Santa Baby gets good radio play every Christmas. I think if she did something a bit different and promoted it well she could end up with another gold record. The Abbey Road Sessions sold well for her in 2012 (a number two peak and 200,000 copies sold), so there is potential for a Christmas album to do ok as well. True, Christmas albums are often old-fashioned and cheesy, but it all depends on the songs and promotion. Isn't Nile Rodgers rumoured to be involved? That could be interesting. She has also been working on new music with Fernando Garibay and Giorgio Moroder for release at some point this year or next.

Kylie is 47, the same age Madonna was when she released Hung Up in 2005, but the music industry was different then compared to 2015. The way things are now I doubt Hung Up and 4 Minutes would reach number one like they did ten and seven years ago. You can't expect Kylie to have another smash hit in the U.K. in this day and age when Madonna can't either. It sucks to be a female pop star over 35. At least Kylie and Madonna are struggling after experiencing decades of success in the business. Leona Lewis and Cheryl Cole (solo) haven't been around ten years and have already seen a huge dip in terms of commercial success.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sayhey is only temporarily down for maintenance...at least that's what it says on their FB page. It should come back soon. :)

I am also horrified at the idea of a Christmas album by Kylie. It just seems so cheesy and pushes her further into "heritage act" territory. I just think she should be releasing another actual studio album already instead of doing these silly side-projects. She did only have a year gap between Light Years and Fever & two years between Fever and Body Language so it's not like she can't release one so quickly after Kiss Me Once.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I've followed Kylie's career since 1988, but to be honest I've drifted away due to other things going on.

Never know Say Hey has a facebook page lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been a Kylie fan since the early days (though never really liked I Should Be or Loco) so have seen the highs and the lows along the way, but i do feel that the way the charts are compiled now is very much stacked against any older artiste - and so she could release another Can't Get You and i doubt it would chart that high.
    I'm not against a Kylie Christmas album, as long as it doesn't slip into the kind of Xmas album that Steps released a few years ago.
    Would be great if she was working with someone like Richard X on the project.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Not appreciating a Xmas album in the slightest it could be the best thing in the world yet I still won't want to play it once boxing day comes
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Timebomb would have been a hit had U.K. radio stations not refused to play it due to Kylie's age. Ageism is ridiculous. It was also a mistake to release the single on a Friday which meant it charted on the Sunday with only a day and a half worth of sales. The song was received very well by critics and fans, but sadly it lacked radio support and substantial promotion to take it anywhere.

And without starting an argument, I would say Kylie has performed better in the U.K. this decade than many other veterans including Madonna and Mariah Carey. All the Lovers was a very successful song for Kylie in 2010, it peaked at number three and sold almost 400,000 copies. Madonna hasn't had a single sell in numbers like that since 2008 and Mariah since 2000.
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great artist with hit after hit single/albulm.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    My favourite Kylie picture - she should use it on her next album

CpajPgr.png