Windows 10

Comments

• Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    These lucky, lucky people should be the first https://www.google.com/search?q=line+islands+kiribati+time&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

But who knows? Seattle time may apply
    The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry too

Ah so you mean it will sweep across the world like midnight on New Years Eve?
    Let's wait for the fireworks, I say! :D

(Seattle is -8 to us, so don't expect anything too early)
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I don't think people have a problem with their OS getting updates (it's for your own good, security wise), but what people don't like is when they are installed.

Personally, I'be never had a problem with automatic updates; the PC warns me it wants to update, and I can delay it.

It's not the default auto-update that is the problem. It's the fact that you cannot (with Windows 10 Home) roll back in the event of problems (the recently-released tool from MS allows that).

I also just saw that system restore is disabled by default (or was that always the case?). Either way you can enable that but with Windows 10 Home the updates will happen automatically again (without MS's new tool). So, if you had a BSOD you would get it again. That's what the article was saying.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Something may be in the pipeline for blocking those forced updates.
    Not sure if the below is the best solution yet though, as it has flaws.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-windows-updates-hide-show-windows-10-a.html

I had BSODs from a new Synaptics Touchpad driver some weeks ago.
    If I re-installed my working driver, Windows 10 TP Update simply put the broken one back

I also found a (manual) workaround to Hide the faulty driver before it could be installed and that worked for a little while.

Then it came back.
    I suspect Major Updates or Build Upgrades Unhide or remove anything outstanding.
    Therefore, if an update is faulty it will be re-installed again then.

Fortunately, if I turned off my Touchpad, and didn't check on it via Device Manager, my system didn't crash.
    Since I always use wireless mice with my laptops, it wasn't a problem once l knew what was going on

Obviously, many drivers have to be used, eg Graphics ones, so a permanent solution is very desirable.

I don't know why MS are insisting that Drivers are continuously updated anyway.
    Longstanding advice has always been not to update them unless they are causing a problem or new ones provide some benefit that is wanted by the user.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems

As expected!

"Last week Microsoft confirmed every Windows 10 update will mandatory and installed automatically. This was met with a hostile reception from Forbes readers with over 100 comments on my news article voicing their concern. And now some of those fears have been realised…

With just four days left before launch, Windows 10’s policy of automatic updates has run into its first major problem and it is causing many PCs to stop working correctly."

Not a major disaster for me as I just shut down and plug in my current Windows 7 Drive. So all in all a major inconvenience of about 2 minutes!
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allegedly, this Microsoft tool allows you to block/delay some updates. Although it mentions the Insider Preview, it should work on the final version:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

The basic problem is that some users are stupid enough to just turn off updates and never turn them on again, because their ill-informed mate told them to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how come that fact or fiction simply ignores the real concerns/facts ?
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Having read about the way to upgrade. Looks like i'm doing the install from windows update wednesday (making sure I uninstall endpoint first though as that caused havoc when trying to install a test version) then when I get windows 10 in do a reset (not a refresh install) I'll figure out the ISO side of it and what not later
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    I got the ISO from a well known source too - the Microsoft Insider website. Just like almost everyone else whose system is now on that build :)

If you have a bit of skill you can create an ISO for the 10240 RTM from the install.esd file. I did this and I've got the same result as the other guy - I can upgrade from an activated windows 7 installation just fine. It is not the preview.

Whether this is the way the official free upgrade process is going to work, I don't know
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll get more like 12 months initially with Pro and then roughly every 8 months after that.

You can't get Enterprise as an individual so by your preference you need to stick on Win 7 or 8.1 until end of support. :)

That get Windows 10 thing that was pushed to Windows 7/8 computers put me off downloading every update :(
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I only did a clean install of Windows 7 about a month ago. Would I still need to do a clean install of Windows 10 or can I just keep everything as is and update?

It just seems silly to have to reinstall all my programs again when I've spent the past fortnight getting everything back to how I like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    I only did a clean install of Windows 7 about a month ago. Would I still need to do a clean install of Windows 10 or can I just keep everything as is and update?

It just seems silly to have to reinstall all my programs again when I've spent the past fortnight getting everything back to how I like it.

It will almost certainly be fine. Make a System Image first to be almost certainly certain.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Win 8.1

Is it possible to do a clean install to Win 10 once it's released?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I have Win 8.1

Is it possible to do a clean install to Win 10 once it's released?

Do the Update/Upgrade first. Microsoft makes a note of your system details in their database.

Later, when you do a clean install, they know and it should be fine without entering License Key (skip/enter later if you are requested)
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People going for the 'free' upgrade are crazy imo. It's got disaster written all over it. Expect bugs, crashes, programmes not working, sluggish performance, nagware etc. Stay on Windows 7 (or 8.1 if you are happy with it) and if 10 proves a hit get it when you upgrade your machine next.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    People going for the 'free' upgrade are crazy imo. It's got disaster written all over it. Expect bugs, crashes, programmes not working, sluggish performance, nagware etc. Stay on Windows 7 (or 8.1 if you are happy with it) and if 10 proves a hit get it when you upgrade your machine next.

I take it you are not part of the insider programme and are just guessing? I've had no problems with 8.1 from day one and 10 is working fine on my laptop....
    You enjoy 7 and let us crazies carry on discussing W10 in the W10 thread.....:D
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

What an ill informed and frankly stupid post.

No nagware here, nor sluggish performance. Oh, and no crashes and no programmes not working here either.

Worst.troll.post.ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd partly agree with this: yes, there will be some bugs, some software incompatibility. If you are running a system with lots of older software (which you don't have the install disks for) then creating a full system backup before you upgrade is vital.

Even though I have never been a fan of Windows 8.x I'm not going to condemn W10 to death before it's even born.
  • EadfrithEadfrith Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Any thoughts on how this will roll out, which country first?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Might be worth looking here, the esd has downloaded for me.

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources
    2.63 GB (2,825,253,674 bytes)
    Created: 23 ‎July ‎2015, ‏‎15:42:39
    Modified: 28 ‎July ‎2015, ‏‎09:12:41

Search for install.esd, of course its a hidden folder.

Its arrived, no prompt for install yet, suppose tomorrow for that.
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eadfrith wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how this will roll out, which country first?

I thought it was time zone related. Say 9am from Australia on.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haven't noticed any problems with running the preview builds of 10 for months. All of my applications work, the computer is as fast as ever, not complaining. The only thing I dislike so far is the requirement to link your user account to your microsoft account to get the preview builds (or a "free" copy of Windows, though this is not required if you upgrade formally)

For it to "prove a hit", people have to upgrade to 10. But you're saying don't upgrade to 10, but wait for others to do it first. Do you see that there's a bit of an issue with that argument?
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Might be worth looking here, the esd has downloaded for me.

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources
    2.63 GB (2,825,253,674 bytes)
    Created: 23 ‎July ‎2015, ‏‎15:42:39
    Modified: 28 ‎July ‎2015, ‏‎09:12:41

Search for install.esd, of course its a hidden folder.

Could be it.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate that saying, if people did that, everyone would be in the same position all their lives and never move forward.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Can I ask a quick question?!!!!

My family laptop, which currently has Windows 7, as indeed got that icon in the bottom right corner of the Task bar, informing me about Windows 10.

As I understand it, my laptop, will download Windows 10, but will not install it - correct?

I don't want a family member going to use the laptop and then they get a pop up asking if they want to install Windows 10 - and they just click "yes", to just get rid of the pop up - before I have managed to back up their files?!!!!
    :blush: