Matt Smith is leaving as the Doctor?

2»

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I can see it going either way - I'd like to see Smith stay for 8 and beyond, but I can also understand and accept him wanting to move on. He's done three series over four years, can't really complain about that.

Exactly.

I'll miss him when he does go but I'd rather see him leave at the right time than outstay his welcome.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    And I preferred the earlier spoiler tagged jokes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven Moffat I can't see staying on beyond series 8, but Matt Smith I can.

In an interview somewhere, I think Moffat said that Series 8 might be his last one as showrunner (though I do hope he continues to be a regular writer).

I'd like to see Smith continue as the Doctor beyond that, since I'd want to see what might happen with the Doctor under a new showrunner. I think it would be an interesting change of direction.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't be surprised if he did leave at christmas or early in S8 we have known the "fall" of the 11th has been coming since TWORS. He arrived at christmas/new year so it would be nice to go full circle and leave at the same time. Just as long as they give him a good send off and pick a good actor to take over as the 12th.
    The fall of the 11th was supposed to happen on Tranzalore. The Name of the Doctor is set there. Make of that what you will. Don't forget, the fact 10 is in the special means that 11 isn't necessarily the current Doctor in it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Steven Moffat I can't see staying on beyond series 8, but Matt Smith I can.

Wonder if the current situation is similar to that of moff replacing rtd as recorded in the writers tale? He knew he was taking over during season 4, but didn't know if dt was staying on, if moff leaves either toby Whitehouse, mark gatiss or (I wish) neil gainman will prob take over introducing the new doctor in the first ep of season 8
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    The fall of the 11th was supposed to happen on Tranzalore. The Name of the Doctor is set there. Make of that what you will. Don't forget, the fact 10 is in the special means that 11 isn't necessarily the current Doctor in it...

Although Jenna/Clara is with Matt/11 in the special suggesting that she's HIS companion. And the finale is supposed to lead into the 50th. Therefore he likely is the current Doctor.
    Wonder if the current situation is similar to that of moff replacing rtd as recorded in the writers tale? He knew he was taking over during season 4, but didn't know if dt was staying on, if moff leaves either toby Whitehouse, mark gatiss or (I wish) neil gainman will prob take over introducing the new doctor in the first ep of season 8

Moffat is show runner for series 8. Jenna has signed a contract for at least two series. Matt is out of contract after the Christmas special hence why he was unable to comment on series 8. He may sign for more once negotiations were/are done (Moffat hadn't even started writing the Christmas special as of a few weeks ago so there's room for him to stay or go), he may decide he's had enough.

There's no massive pressure for him to make a decision super quick because filming for Christmas doesn't start until September.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way is he leaving anytime soon...as others have said more Matt/Jenna action for series 8 is needed...and seeing that Jenna will be here for the 50th and Christmas i wanna see it really lead into the 8th series too :)....So that will take us into Matts 5th year as the Doctor which is what i want....after that who does know what will happen? But by the end of series 8 Matt will be the second longest running Doctor ever which will be brilliant :D. But man i dont want him to leave for a while yet...and his idea of filming in America alongside Who i think is a genuinely brilliant move on his part too...keeps his versitality going and expanding which i love and also shwocases his ability within Who too :)
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and his idea of filming in America alongside Who i think is a genuinely brilliant move on his part too...keeps his versitality going and expanding which i love and also shwocases his ability within Who too :)

I think if it is his decision about how long he wants to stay then the fact that they have been very accommodating of his other projects is a boon if they want to keep him.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No way is he leaving anytime soon...as others have said more Matt/Jenna action for series 8 is needed...and seeing that Jenna will be here for the 50th and Christmas i wanna see it really lead into the 8th series too :)....So that will take us into Matts 5th year as the Doctor which is what i want....after that who does know what will happen? But by the end of series 8 Matt will be the second longest running Doctor ever which will be brilliant :D. But man i dont want him to leave for a while yet...and his idea of filming in America alongside Who i think is a genuinely brilliant move on his part too...keeps his versitality going and expanding which i love and also shwocases his ability within Who too :)

Matt is great but every Doctor does have their time and Series 8/Christmas 2014 could be a good stepping off point for him as well. After all, he'll have done four series and that is actually rather a lot for a Doctor.

I've said it a couple of times but I genuinely cannot see any actor surpassing Tom Baker's record in terms of how long they'll be on the show or matching it either.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just feels to me like he hasn't been in the role long enough since he uttered the words "I don't know yet I'm still cooking" when asked who he was in Eleventh hour!
    Really do seem to get through regenerations quick everytime theres a new one theres discussion on when he is leaving 2 mins into the role. I've only watched the old who's from UK gold/watch and it felt like they did longer stints although it's apparent they didn't really if you look it up, feels that way though!
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt is brilliant in the role. He gets better as time goes on. Hope he doesn't leave.
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »

How can Matt not be the current Doctor? This is his era Who and he is starring in the episode? There's now way he will regenerate into 12. Do you think they'd introduce a new Doctor AND have a significant role for Tennant and Smith also? They'd want their new Doctor to have the spotlight and there would be no time at all to get used to a new Doctor if Smith and Tennant have massive roles.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can Matt not be the current Doctor? This is his era Who and he is starring in the episode? There's now way he will regenerate into 12. Do you think they'd introduce a new Doctor AND have a significant role for Tennant and Smith also? They'd want their new Doctor to have the spotlight and there would be no time at all to get used to a new Doctor if Smith and Tennant have massive roles.

Who's to say Smith and Tennant are having massive roles?
    Forum Member

Do you really think Tennant would come back for a cameo? Do you think Moffat would insult David Tennant by writing a small role unworthy of his return? They are certainly not going to insult their lead actor, and Matt Smith IS The Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member

David has been filming most days for the 50th, that points to him having a big role. Ditto Matt.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Do you really think Tennant would come back for a cameo? Do you think Moffat would insult David Tennant by writing a small role unworthy of his return? They are certainly not going to insult their lead actor, and Matt Smith IS The Doctor.
    Unworthy?

I can see this ending up like Asylum of the Daleks, where the expectation of all the Daleks at once was quashed by them only getting a few moments of screentime.

It could be that Tennant has equal screentime, or it could just as easily be a cameo. It could still go either way.
    Forum Member
    Unworthy?

I can see this ending up like Asylum of the Daleks, where the expectation of all the Daleks at once was quashed by them only getting a few moments of screentime.

It could be that Tennant has equal screentime, or it could just as easily be a cameo. It could still go either way.

Well David is effectively coming out of retirement as The Doctor having not played him for a few years. Moffat isn't going to insult him for a few weeks of filming by writing him a tiny part. As an actor why would you want to reprise a role that made you world famous just for a few lines? Not going to happen. This is possibly why Moffat decided not to use all the Doctors, you need to give whoever is in it a meaty enough role for it to be worthy of them.

Daleks aren't world famous actors, they are devices used by performers and brought alive by voice actors. Plus David Tennant isn't going to be doing this for a fiver ;) You can bet to CGI a million daleks, pay the performers and Nicholas Briggs won't be as much as David Tennant takes home for his role :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Well David is effectively coming out of retirement as The Doctor having not played him for a few years. Moffat isn't going to insult him for a few weeks of filming by writing him a tiny part. As an actor why would you want to reprise a role that made you world famous just for a few lines?
    Huge amounts of cash, usually. Possibly also fun.

I can't see Steven going to David and saying, "Would you be willing to reprise the Doctor for a cameo?" and David responding with, "Nay! I shalt not returneth without the role of great magnitude! Kneel before me, serf!"

If David and Steven both think that a cameo is the right things for the story, that's what it'll be.
    Forum Member
    Huge amounts of cash, usually. Possibly also fun.

I can't see Steven going to David and saying, "Would you be willing to reprise the Doctor for a cameo?" and David responding with, "Nay! I shalt not returneth without the role of great magnitude! Kneel before me, serf!"

If David and Steven both think that a cameo is the right things for the story, that's what it'll be.

I can't see Moffat insulting David Tennant by asking him to come back for a huge anniversary episode for a mere cameo? And I can't see them promoting his appearance as much as they have done if it's nothing more than a walk on part.