Little Mix New Single - Black Magic

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When have Little Mix ever been RnB? They never have. It's pure pop music.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, the decision to go down the pop route is the record label's. I doubt they had any say. It's because Fifth Harmony are also with Sony/Syco and doing very well with Worth It, which is Pop/R&B. I really see this as their last chance to take off properly in the USA. It's quite clear that Simon/Sony favours Fifth Harmony.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    To be fair, the decision to go down the pop route is the record label's. I doubt they had any say.

In interviews at the beginning of the year in Dubai, LM revealed that last Summer A&R had lined up producers with ready made songs for them when they still thought the US tour was going in order to make that typical album a year Syco deadline for the Fall. That was the album that was scrapped.

If the girls hadnt any say, the label could have gone ahead with that album. Its happened before to other artists. But the label let LM work on it some 6 months more. In fact it was unusual for a Syco act to buck that annual cycle without it being a contentious situation.

Its laid out in their own tweets last year. Polite but not enthusiastic, and evasive to fans then suddenly in Aug. they start enthusing about their sessions and in late Nov. when asked about the lead single they suddenly switch from "still writing" to "wait til you hear it" so I guess thats when Black Magic was demo'd. From the songwriters' tweets Feb. 4 was when it officially became the lead.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Black Magic is holding up really well as a pre-order on iTunes.

I think waiting until 10th July to release the single is absolutely pointless. Surely the fact the pre-order has consistently remained inside the top 100 is enough proof that there is demand for the song now - not in 5 weeks time!!!

Hopefully the record company will actually use their brains and bring the release date forward to at least 20th June.

Always makes me wonder why new releases are held back until a particular week. It's like they have already decided what the UK #1 singles are going to be, and release other songs around the "chosen few". The UK charts will never be as fresh as Australia or Sweden because of this attitude.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Black Magic is holding up really well as a pre-order on iTunes.

I think waiting until 10th July to release the single is absolutely pointless. Surely the fact the pre-order has consistently remained inside the top 100 is enough proof that there is demand for the song now - not in 5 weeks time!!!

Hopefully the record company will actually use their brains and bring the release date forward to at least 20th June.

Always makes me wonder why new releases are held back until a particular week. It's like they have already decided what the UK #1 singles are going to be, and release other songs around the "chosen few". The UK charts will never be as fresh as Australia or Sweden because of this attitude.

Although I agree with you totally that there is no reason for songs to be held back in the UK, not all are. For instance Taylor Swift's Bad Blood was released here on the same day as the rest of the world. There is no reason why all songs shouldn't be.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Although I agree with you totally that there is no reason for songs to be held back in the UK, not all are. For instance Taylor Swift's Bad Blood was released here on the same day as the rest of the world. There is no reason why all songs shouldn't be.

Oh, I know.

So were We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Shake It Off and FourFiveSeconds.

None went to #1 but they all sold really well in total and spent a good couple of months just inside the top 10.

Had they been held back for two months, chances are they would've gone to #1 with impressive sales but then they would've dropped down the chart much faster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thinking may be to get that #1 in the UK so they can port it over to US radio stations as a selling point for them to pick up the song.

Most big hits dont fade after just their debut week, they hang around for a long time. Thats how they rack up the massive sales. Rather Be was around all last year, and look how long it took to get rid of Emeli Sande. :D

If they did move it up it wouldnt be the week of June 22. That's when 5H is releasing Worth It in the UK and the label wouldnt want to make both their own girl groups go head to head, esp. if they want to launch 5H abroad.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a major step backwards for them. They really developed and moved forward with their last era. This feels like a song that wouldn't feel out of pace on their debut album. It's very Disney. Very innocent. Plain and too too safe.

Considering they have worked on the upcoming album a lot longer then they did with their first two albums, it's a joke this is what they managed to come out with and put forward as a lead single.
    Forum Member
    I genuinely think Black Magic is a great pop song. It's got the killer chorus that's memorable, it's "pop" so isn't going to alienate any existing Little Mix fans. A lot of younger kids (say 8-12 year olds) are bound to love the song. It's got an interesting video that doesn't get boring half way through.

Personally, the whole thing ticks all the right boxes and if the record company are wise, they will bring the release date forward. The amount of times I've seen the video over the last few days you'd think it was already one of the biggest hits in the charts - madness to think it's not officially released for another 5 weeks. :confused:

If Black Magic was released this coming Sunday, it'd go straight to #1 with ease and probably give the track a couple of weeks at #1 as well.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a major step backwards for them. They really developed and moved forward with their last era. This feels like a song that wouldn't feel out of pace on their debut album. It's very Disney. Very innocent. Plain and too too safe.

Considering they have worked on the upcoming album a lot longer then they did with their first two albums, it's a joke this is what they managed to come out with and put forward as a lead single.

There's nothing like 'Black Magic' on their first two albums.
    It's an 80s influenced pop song. It has a beginning and an end and a strong melody.
    It's not contemporary Rn'B, it's not a sampled, half-completed beat track masquerading as a 'song'. It doesn't 'feature' a meaningless rap or another artist. If you want a reference try Cyndi Lauper or John Parr.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear....not good I'm afraid.

On a positive note, Leigh-Anne has blossomed into a stunning young woman. She's easily the prettiest in the group now.
  • GagaKeshaMinajGagaKeshaMinaj Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So annoying how the UK are always behind on release dates! It just means songs will have a massive second week drop or not even peak as high as they would do due to no buzz anymore...

For example, I'm positive Pretty Girls by Britney would have got top 5 if it were released straight away as there was a massive buzz around it! Now, I don't think it will... Maybe the same happened to Leona with Fire Under My Feet?

Taylor Swift and Rihanna are pioneers for the UK the way they release the same day (although Rihanna hasn't always) - and their songs have stuck around and sold a load!!
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best thing about this is how amazing Leigh-Anne is looking. She's stunning. The song itself sounds like something from a Disney film. It's like a song for 10 year olds. They've been working on this album longer than they worked on the previous two and this is what they have came up with as the lead single?!! It's dissapointing. I was expecting something better and some progression.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking forward to hearing this but upon listening I was so disappointed at how babyish it sounds compared to their songs on Salute and even DNA. If this is some new direction for the girls I hate it. They are so much better than this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the UK public is really liking this song. A month away now from July 10 and it was only above #100 for a few days since it was put on preorder on May 21.

pre-order update (Buzzjack)

50. Are You With Me - Lost Frequencies
    56. Not Letting Go (feat. Jess Glynne) - Tinie Tempah
    57. Black Magic - Little Mix
    122. Worth It (feat. Kid Ink) - Fifth Harmony
    131. Five More Hours - Deorro & Chris Brown
    141. House Every Weekend (Radio Edit) - David Zowie
    160. Waiting for Love - Avicii
    164. I Don't Like It, I Love It (feat. Robin Thicke & Verdine White) - Flo Rida
    232. The Giver (Reprise) - Duke Dumont
    247. Poison - Rita Ora
    258. Pretty Girls - Britney Spears & Iggy Azalea
    286. Freak of the Week (feat. Jeremih) - Krept & Konan
    373. Come and Get It - John Newman
    548. Phenomenal (From "Southpaw") - Eminem
    550. Kiss Me Quick - Nathan Sykes
    572. Show Me Love (feat. Kimberly Anne) - Sam Feldt
    699. This Summer's Gonna Hurt Like a Motherf****r - Maroon 5
    774. Get Stupid - Aston Merrygold
    779. Real Joy - Fono
    859. Love Me So - Stereo Kicks

1015. Ain't Nobody (Loves Me Better) [feat. Jasmine Thompson] - Felix Jaehn
    1073. Fight Song - Rachel Platten
    1149. The Way We Are - Alesha Dixon
    1251. Shine - Years & Years

Its also #5 on Australian iTunes after some radio adds last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to add: I was stuck in commute traffic in the San Francisco Bay Area last night, and 997NOW which just playlisted Black Magic played it right at 5:30 PM, which is primetime for radio advertising. So obviously that station got enough positive response during initial testing to put it in a choice timeslot right away. Black Magic hasnt even gone for formal adds on US radio yet although its now on Cool New Music at AllAccess for radio personnel to preview.

Also, I dont know many 8-12 year olds driving during the commute hours ;-) so the song has broader appeal. I still think its resonating with adult listeners who like Pop.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bad song per se but it's a step backwards for me after the more mature sounding singles like Move and Salute.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the UK public is really liking this song. A month away now from July 10 and it was only above #100 for a few days since it was put on preorder on May 21.

pre-order update (Buzzjack)

50. Are You With Me - Lost Frequencies
    56. Not Letting Go (feat. Jess Glynne) - Tinie Tempah
    57. Black Magic - Little Mix
    122. Worth It (feat. Kid Ink) - Fifth Harmony
    131. Five More Hours - Deorro & Chris Brown
    141. House Every Weekend (Radio Edit) - David Zowie
    160. Waiting for Love - Avicii
    164. I Don't Like It, I Love It (feat. Robin Thicke & Verdine White) - Flo Rida
    232. The Giver (Reprise) - Duke Dumont
    247. Poison - Rita Ora
    258. Pretty Girls - Britney Spears & Iggy Azalea
    286. Freak of the Week (feat. Jeremih) - Krept & Konan
    373. Come and Get It - John Newman
    548. Phenomenal (From "Southpaw") - Eminem
    550. Kiss Me Quick - Nathan Sykes
    572. Show Me Love (feat. Kimberly Anne) - Sam Feldt
    699. This Summer's Gonna Hurt Like a Motherf****r - Maroon 5
    774. Get Stupid - Aston Merrygold
    779. Real Joy - Fono
    859. Love Me So - Stereo Kicks

1015. Ain't Nobody (Loves Me Better) [feat. Jasmine Thompson] - Felix Jaehn
    1073. Fight Song - Rachel Platten
    1149. The Way We Are - Alesha Dixon
    1251. Shine - Years & Years

Its also #5 on Australian iTunes after some radio adds last week.

How website you get to find this information from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ As it says in the title from the Buzzjack forum in their weekly iTunes thread. Someone does all the work rounding up the preorders.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I adore this song XD
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think its resonating with adult listeners who like Pop.

I'm an adult listener who loves pop but I hate this song. Still I do like the girls so it's nice to see them do well regardless.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an awful video. A Brit band playing stereotypical American high school students, with a bunch of late twentysomethings? OK... :confused:

The song's the type I like but it's nothing special. DNA was/is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Late twentysomethings"? They range from soon to be 22-24. Besides most actors in their 20s play high school students, look at the Harry Potter actors.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Late twentysomethings"? They range from soon to be 22-24. Besides most actors in their 20s play high school students, look at the Harry Potter actors.

I wasn't talking about Little Mix when I said that. I was talking about how old the actors in the video looked. It was naff when they did it in Harry Potter, it's naff now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh got it. But its the norm to use actors in their twenties to portray younger students in both tv and film. When I found out Rebel Wilson was 36? in Pitch Perfect 2 I did a doubletake.