Options

Doctor Strange (2016)

Comments

• Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the more low key Marvel films and will give this a go but I don't know if I'm going to struggle with the whole ignoring reality thing. It's great to see stunning visuals but my mind needs a frame of reference to grasp whilst watching.

It was liked when I watched inception. If it was all imaginary and in a dream then why weren't the characters calling up unicorns and pie throwing dolphins to fight their battles?
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    This looks.... alright?

It really is one of those movies which could be the first blow to superhero movies as a genre or it could be genuinely great, I don't think a movie like this could land in between, but after Guardians of the Galaxy I'm cautiously optimistic about this.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Doctor Strange... doesn't this introduce the idea that magic and the supernatural is real in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Up to now, (in the movies, I'm not talking about the comics), everything "strange" has been "explained" *cough* as advanced technology based on science.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    I thought it was good trailer.

Wi-fi password scene got me chuckle.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    This looks.... alright?

It really is one of those movies which could be the first blow to superhero movies as a genre or it could be genuinely great, I don't think a movie like this could land in between, but after Guardians of the Galaxy I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Have you seen Dead Pool? I just watched that and, though I enjoyed it, it was really was the first true parody of the superhero genre. It could be the beginning of the end for the genre, just as comedy versions signaled the end for the Western genre.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if I've missed another thread about this movie, but is anyone else excited about Doctor Strange? It's out next week and I was surprised there isn't more chatter going on here (also surprised there isn't more advance buzz after the recent IMAX preview clips)... the latest clips they're showing are concentrating more on the "trippy" visuals than the "inception-y" stuff, and I think it looks awesome...

I really hope Marvel get this right, I've been a fan of the comics since I was a kid, and it could/should be the perfect bridge into GOTG2 next year...
  • Options
    The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early Twitter buzz says that the story is a bit formulaic and 'Marvel' but visually it's amazing and many are praising the score which is often a weakness of the Marvel movies.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to watching Doctor Strange on Tuesday but it's very unusual that I've seen no trailers on tv or any posters anywhere else for this film apart posters or trailers in the cinema despite it being released this week!

Have Marvel really given up on Doctor Strange before it's even released?

I hope not as I've been looking forward to this film for a while!
  • Options
    clareiowclareiow Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to watching Doctor Strange on Tuesday but it's very unusual that I've seen no trailers on tv or any posters anywhere else for this film apart posters or trailers in the cinema despite it being released this week!

There's no posters, no bus banners, minimal trailers on TV (despite marvel releasing 29....YES 29...TV Spots), very little merchandising and the real doozie - no premiere.

I cannot fathom for one second why they are not promoting this film. It's had extensive promo in the Far East and the world premiere in America and that's it.

The fact there's not a UK premiere when chunks of it were filmed at Pinewood and the titular character is British along with Tilda, Benedict Wong AND Chiwitel. Strange indeed....
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The early Twitter buzz says that the story is a bit formulaic and 'Marvel' but visually it's amazing and many are praising the score which is often a weakness of the Marvel movies.

One word, villain. What's the villain like?
    This is one thing Marvel films in general need to better with.
    The only Marvel film villain who really stands out is Loki, but it could be said that he's almost an anti-hero rather than a true villain.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

That's very promising.
    It makes me wonder if the relatively low key marketing compared to other Marvel films was by design, and if it's a hit it will appear as a surprise hit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd normally expect to find the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch, Tilda Swinton and Chiwetel Ejiofor topping the cast of some thematically venturesome, aesthetically respectable British drama set discreetly in the recent past. But here these terrific actors are playing comic book characters in a film the majority of whose audience members may never have seen any of them before.
    Absolute bobbins.
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One word, villain. What's the villain like?
    This is one thing Marvel films in general need to better with.
    The only Marvel film villain who really stands out is Loki, but it could be said that he's almost an anti-hero rather than a true villain.

Mostly agree with this. The only one who really stood out for me apart from Loki, was the Red Skull, also Zemo was a huge let down in Civil War (nothing like the comic book character).

Off to see this tomorrow in 4DX (local cinema has only just gotten 4DX). I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy in Dbox, at the O2 arena before. This will be interesting seeing the difference between the two.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My (uneducated) guess; they're very much aware people may be getting fed up seeing Benedict Cumberbatch everywhere, so a lower key promotion might actually help the film in the long run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then why hire him in the first place to play Doctor Strange as the character will play a big part in the MCU going forward!

As a previous poster stated it's weird for Marvel to hype the film in America but not in the UK where it's being released first!

I think it will still make decent money from the Marvel name but not as much as it would have if they build up the hype properly!

I can't wait to watch it tomorrow anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then why hire him in the first place to play Doctor Strange as the character will play a big part in the MCU going forward!
    Because over-exposure can be a burden, but it can also be temporary. Low key, in the short term, is sometimes best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you believe that Benedict Cumberbatch is over-exposed in the media at the moment which is why they have not hyped up Doctor Strange?

Is that correct RebelScum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you believe that Benedict Cumberbatch is over-exposed in the media at the moment which is why they have not hyped up Doctor Strange?

So you are asking me to confirm if I believe that Benedict Cumberbatch is over-exposed in the media at the moment which is why they have not hyped up Doctor Strange?

Is that correct Motthus?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I'm asking if you are saying that Benedict Cumberbatch is over exposed in the media?

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds ridiculous when talking about this kind of amount but at $165m this is one of the lowest budget Marvel movies:

http://www.dailysuperhero.com/2016/08/doctor-strange-production-budget-is.html

Costing one third less than Avengers 2 and Captain America 3 that gives them real scope to crow about the BO if this hits big.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm asking if you are saying that Benedict Cumberbatch is over exposed in the media?

Can't you read what I already posted? Or is this just some silly attempt on your part to keep the thread active?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll keep active by saying that it's currently at 97% fresh on RT, with Empire giving it a 4* review. Can't wait to see it tomorrow. I've been wanting a proper Doctor Strange movie for the best part of 20 years.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how this can be a smash hit, it's just too C-level superhero as far as the general public are concerned.

Guardians of the Galaxy had word-of-mouth going for it, I don't see that happening with Doctor Strange.

Maybe it'll do Thor kind of business.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I don't see how this can be a smash hit, it's just too C-level superhero as far as the general public are concerned.

Guardians of the Galaxy had word-of-mouth going for it, I don't see that happening with Doctor Strange.

Maybe it'll do Thor kind of business.

Everyone was claiming GotG (something of a unknown quantity beforehand even amongst comics fans) would flop hard and also Ant Man (also not an A-list superhero) and both were hits. I have a good feeling about Strange - The only thing that gives me pause is Cucumberpatches American accent which is one of the less convincing ones I've heard or perhaps I'm just used to hearing his natural one.